• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Wizards: The Big Payback!

lethalweapon3

I think adversity will serve the team very well this postseason.  Everything was sweet last year until Thabo got hurt.  Even then the #1 seed was in the bag.  

An early busy schedule, nagging and lingering effects from injuries, and most notably the daily trade rumors of the core has clearly galvanized the squad.  Nothing wrong with being battle-tested at all.  

Can't say enough about the decision to bring Tim along deliberately and Humphries' signing.  He's fit his role here as well as Frye or Joe has at their new spots.

Does it seem like Jeff has almost accepted Dennis being Bud's preferred PG?  He has a short leash with lack of energy and missed defensive assignments, Dennis has a long one with bad shots and turnovers.  I want him to find the medium between supporting Dennis but also competing hard for minutes with spirited play.  Both have to realize their combined talent level is very rare and maximize it THIS YEAR!  

You can't change people's personality I guess.  We've heard that Jeff has suggested to Bud "keep Dennis in."  Safe to say we will never, ever, ever, ever...hear Dennis say anything of the sort, even on a twisted ankle.

• Like 2

If Dennis Schröder isn't good last night, I'm not sure Atlanta finds a way to come back from another 10 point deficit as they would have been buried by halftime. Jeff Teague just didn't look focused in both games, despite a good offensive night Monday he was terrible defensively in that game and missing FTs.

Both games were really about the bench mainly.

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I think adversity will serve the team very well this postseason.  Everything was sweet last year until Thabo got hurt.  Even then the #1 seed was in the bag.  

An early busy schedule, nagging and lingering effects from injuries, and most notably the daily trade rumors of the core has clearly galvanized the squad.  Nothing wrong with being battle-tested at all.  

Can't say enough about the decision to bring Tim along deliberately and Humphries' signing.  He's fit his role here as well as Frye or Joe has at their new spots.

Does it seem like Jeff has almost accepted Dennis being Bud's preferred PG?  He has a short leash with lack of energy and missed defensive assignments, Dennis has a long one with bad shots and turnovers.  I want him to find the medium between supporting Dennis but also competing hard for minutes with spirited play.  Both have to realize their combined talent level is very rare and maximize it THIS YEAR!  

You can't change people's personality I guess.  We've heard that Jeff has suggested to Bud "keep Dennis in."  Safe to say we will never, ever, ever, ever...hear Dennis say anything of the sort, even on a twisted ankle.

Mmmm.. I wouldn't say Dennis has a long leash. Dennis has been sat down several games this year in favor of Mack and Hinrich, and averages only 20 mpg. 

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

If Dennis Schröder isn't good last night, I'm not sure Atlanta finds a way to come back from another 10 point deficit as they would have been buried by halftime. Jeff Teague just didn't look focused in both games, despite a good offensive night Monday he was terrible defensively in that game and missing FTs.

Both games were really about the bench mainly.

Jeff Teague was fine, he was just not hitting his shots and the Wizards were going really, really, under on the screens. The same thing happened last game except it was Teague who was drilling the outside shot and Dennis who struggled. 

2 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Jeff Teague was fine, he was just not hitting his shots and the Wizards were going really, really, under on the screens. The same thing happened last game except it was Teague who was drilling the outside shot and Dennis who struggled.

Uhhh, 33 percent from 3 is not drilling the outside shot. It's average at best and it's pared with him getting completely POUNDED on D.

2 hours ago, hazer said:

Careful, I've pointed this very thing out before and nearly got ran out of town for it...

:Schroder::Timmy::Thabo::Scott::Hump:

I'm not sure how good the bench stacks against some starting 5s, but it is great to see players like Hinrich, Humphries, Hardaway playing in garbage time.  

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Uhhh, 33 percent from 3 is not drilling the outside shot. It's average at best and it's pared with him getting completely POUNDED on D.

Who didn't get POUNDED on defense that game? It was the worst defensive game of the entire season and singling Teague out is pretty absurd considering Sef, Baze, Tim, Jeff, and Dennis were all taking turns guarding Wall and Beal who both lit us up. Regardless that's not even the point. The point is that Teague played a decent game outside of his poor shooting last game, which was uncharacteristically poor (30 % from the field, 1/4 from the free throw line). The reason he wasn't getting to the rim was because Wall was playing him three yards behind the three point arc. Dennis came in was able to make perimeter shots and that blew open the game because the whole Washington defensive gameplan revolved around collapsing the paint and not letting our PGs get penetration. (Same thing they did last year in the playoffs)

6 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Who didn't get POUNDED on defense that game? It was the worst defensive game of the entire season and singling Teague out is pretty absurd considering Sef, Baze, Tim, Jeff, and Dennis were all taking turns guarding Wall and Beal who both lit us up. Regardless that's not even the point. The point is that Teague played a decent game outside of his poor shooting last game, which was uncharacteristically poor (30 % from the field, 1/4 from the free throw line). The reason he wasn't getting to the rim was because Wall was playing him three yards behind the three point arc. Dennis came in was able to make perimeter shots and that blew open the game because the whole Washington defensive gameplan revolved around collapsing the paint and not letting our PGs get penetration. (Same thing they did last year in the playoffs)

Um, Dennis made a grand total of three perimeter jump shots. He came in and forced the issue in the paint in the first half even WITH Washington going way under like Teague did in the 3rd quarter on Monday night. If he doesn't come in and force the issue, yesterday is a loss just like Monday was as the team gets too far behind.

Here's what Garrett Temple even said:

"We tried to go under a lot of screens and Schröder got into the paint, made some layups..."

That DOES NOT sound like Schröder came in the game trying to shoot jumpers. When a player of an opposing team is saying the opposite, your script to the tale needs to be remade. Temple was on him and while he went under screens, Schröder chose to force the issue and go to the rim anyway. If he doesn't do it, the game is likely over in the first half and that deciding run near the end of the 3rd through the 4th does not happen. That run was important, but the work that Schröder did in his first stint, while it was more scoring based was more needed.

Fact is Dennis switching it up is great for us.  If Dennis isn't driving relentlessly regardless of over or under screen defenders, I assume he's banged up.  Last night looked like early last year when he was among the league leaders in paint drives.  I think he's had a nagging foot issue that he won't mention.  Hopefully it's over and he gets back to running defenses ragged.  Better screening of late has helped too though.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Cool stat for Dennis.  Don't think it means a ton because you could adjust the criteria and produce rapidly different lists but it is cool.

That is the first "Pack-man" reference I've seen in nearly 20 years!

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Cool stat for Dennis.  Don't think it means a ton because you could adjust the criteria and produce rapidly different lists but it is cool.

That is the first "Pack-man" reference I've seen in nearly 20 years!

Yeah, I always wonder (and often shake my head) about the guys who put together such stats (first player since MJ to have 8 pts and 4ass with untied green shoes in a 2nd qtr)

But this stat is interesting since normally players with such lines simply play more than 20 mins. It seems Bud goes with the hot hand if they game isn't decided, but he wont let someone get superstar numbers if not necessary. Dennis was 2 points shy of his carreer high but was subbed at the regular time.

Bud also did this to other players and that may be one reason why there aren't many 30pts games in ATL. Other coaches keep hot players in and let them have their 5 mins of fame. In ATL the team is the star. 

Seems to be Pop-philosophy and may be a good thing while you are winning but I think some players (especially expiring contracts) could be pissed about this missing chance to shine.