• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Raptors

lethalweapon3

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm not disputing that we've had HORRIBLE losses. My question is were they the favorites to beat the other team?

In 94, 98 and 99 we were the favorites. I hate Danny Manning, David Wesley and Latrell Sprewell and Marcus Camby.

1 minute ago, Spud2Nique said:

In 94, 98 and 99 we were the favorites. I hate Danny Manning, David Wesley and Latrell Sprewell and Marcus Camby.

If you had to look it up and do research that doesn't count. I can't remember that far back. Lol.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If you had to look it up and do research that doesn't count. I can't remember that far back. Lol.

A lot of the ugly losses are actually quite memorable.

Last year we were the top seed in the East in a very memorable and recent season and didn't win a single game.  You can argue that the #2 seed was favored but to sweep culminating in a 30 point loss?  That is ugly.

2010 was the nadir of playoff Woody.  Worst sweep in NBA history in a season where we were the #3 seed going against the #2.  That was brutal and every double on Howard leading to an open 3 and every bad switch leaving our PG on Turk, etc. is hard for me to shake.  It wasn't losing the series - it was doing it in record settingly bad fashion.  Should have been a close competitive series but was an embarrassment.

1999 was the end of the Smitty/Mookie era and the beginning of the rebuild.  We lost so badly to the #8 seed that we broke up the team for freaking JR Rider.

1994 was the brutal Nique trade season.  Jordan was retired.  It was our window of opportunity.  We had pole position as the #1 seed and we couldn't get past the #5 Pacers in the second round.  So much disappointment packed into one season.  No one who was a Hawks fan at the time could forget this year.

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

A lot of the ugly losses are actually quite memorable.

Last year we were the top seed in the East in a very memorable and recent season and didn't win a single game.  You can argue that the #2 seed was favored but to sweep culminating in a 30 point loss?  That is ugly. (yes ugly)

2010 was the nadir of playoff Woody.  Worst sweep in NBA history in a season where we were the #3 seed going against the #2.  That was brutal and every double on Howard leading to an open 3 and every bad switch leaving our PG on Turk, etc. is hard for me to shake.  It wasn't losing the series - it was doing it in record settingly bad fashion.  Should have been a close competitive series but was an embarrassment. (That I remember, just horrible coaching - that Woody switch...damn, damn damn)

1999 was the end of the Smitty/Mookie era and the beginning of the rebuild.  We lost so badly to the #8 seed that we broke up the team for freaking JR Rider. (For some reason I wasn't that interested)

1994 was the brutal Nique trade season.  Jordan was retired.  It was our window of opportunity.  We had pole position as the #1 seed and we couldn't get past the #5 Pacers in the second round.  So much disappointment packed into one season.  No one who was a Hawks fan at the time could forget this year. (What a way to be introduced to the Hawks - first NBA game ever, woke up that morning Nique got traded...smh.  How I'm still a Hawks fan is beyond me)

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I didn't look up anything. I remember everything since I was 3 years old. I have a memory like an elephant. (Not a body like one haha I'm not fat I told y'all this before lol). 

I just remember us going either 20-9 or 20-11 after the Manning trade and getting beat in pretty good by Indy. Also in 98, I remember Smitty and Rice dueling back n forth but they had the two headed monsters in Divac n Ant Mase rip, but remember Wesley being a thorn. We just couldn't stop the Hornets defensively that year, and 99 we just met a crazy hot Knicks team that played well together and Spree owned us and Camby hobbled up ever board it seemed. Sadly, after that sweep we traded Smitty in a package for Rider and Jimmy Jax. :-( 

Im not like the new age kids to run and get info on that there Google machine, I tend to use my own brain. Only use googs when I can't remember a certain detail or two. So there @JayBirdHawk lol

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I didn't look up anything. I remember everything since I was 3 years old. I have a memory like an elephant. (Not a body like one haha I'm not fat I told y'all this before lol). 

I just remember us going either 20-9 or 20-11 after the Manning trade and getting beat in pretty good by Indy. Also in 98, I remember Smitty and Rice dueling back n forth but they had the two headed monsters in Divac n Ant Mase rip, but remember Wesley being a thorn. We just couldn't stop the Hornets defensively that year, and 99 we just met a crazy hot Knicks team that played well together and Spree owned us and Camby hobbled up ever board it seemed. Sadly, after that sweep we traded Smitty in a package for Rider and Jimmy Jax. :-( 

Im not like the new age kids to run and get info on that there Google machine, I tend to use my own brain. Only use googs when I can't remember a certain detail or two. So there @JayBirdHawk lol

52501376-tom-gugliotta-of-the-atlanta-ha

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

52501376-tom-gugliotta-of-the-atlanta-ha

Lol...OT almost got a barb wire tattoo like Googs in 96...thank god I waited for my new Hawks logo tat to be completed this summer. 

I think I've just blocked out some really bad Hawks basketball and players.....eeech.

I think I'll just focus from we signed "Joe rebuild season" onward. Some of that other stuff is just depressing.

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I was just about to ask this very question - when have the Hawks EVER been favored in a playoff matchup and lost?

Actually, 1989 vs the Bucks. Other than that, you are correct, nobody has ever favored them to do nothing in the playoffs.  My bad, this is the Hawks we are talking about here. You are correct.....

Edited by Hawkmoor

27 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think I've just blocked out some really bad Hawks basketball and players.....eeech.

I think I'll just focus from we signed "Joe rebuild season" onward. Some of that other stuff is just depressing.

That is probably why you are happy in life and I have to go back n forth jabbing @kg01...I kid I kid

I will say this, and the coaching staff likely doesn't believe it but its true, but after the first round if Atlanta gets past it, you can make a very legitimate argument that both Kent Bazemore and Kyle Korver are the 7th and 8th most important players to the team's success. At the top, Teague and Millsap are the most important players due to their ability to create in a grind it out half court game.

And yet in all likelihood they're both going to start...