• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Great game terrible ending

gsuteke

Honestly, this is almost like the Carmelo Anthony argument.  Because guys like Melo and Rudy haven't had much post season success and have been the leading scorer on bad teams, people think negatively.

But like Melo, Rudy sure does play well when he has talent around him ( like in the Olympics ).

Rudy is a scorer, not a shooter.  And even if he doesn't play lockdown defense, his ability to get tough points when a team needs it the most, is his greatest attribute.

No one asks Thabo to score 20 points, or make tough shots in isolation.  His job is defense, rebounding, and maybe making a few jumpers a game.  Same with Bazemore.

Facts are that if guys had to take on the scoring responsibilities that Rudy had to assume, their numbers would plummet because they just couldn't do it as effectively as Rudy could.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

He's been in the NBA 10 years now....he's gone to the playoffs once. That tells me a whole lot about him as a leader or a winner. He is a high volume chucker.  And according to @JayBirdHawk he's now a fatty McButterpants...I would pass and I'm hoping the Hawks never sign him or trade for him. 

The he highlights tell me he's a video game player. I'd like to see a stats of the player that he is guarding every night. I'm guessing it wouldn't be pretty.

Leave me out of it.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Rudy Gay is on a bad team with individually talented players, but with no chemistry or a comittment to defense.  It's everyone. Not just him.

But to say that his clutch time stats don't mean much, is simply just being a hater.  Any guy who can make 30%+ of his shots in late game situations, is pretty damn good in the clutch, due to the difficulty of the shot most times. Rudy makes damn near 45% of his clutch shots, which may be close to the best in NBA history.

This guy has an entire youtube vid showing just about every game tying and game winning shot he's made in his career.  

I think someone posted a stat that stated that the Hawks are something like 0 for their last 12 FG in last second game tying or winning shots in 4th quarter and OT.  But we couldn't use a guy that historically makes 5 of those 12 shots?

Honestly ( and I know people hated when I used to do this ), but LOL @ those who try to hate on Rudy Gay, when our options are Bazemore, Korver, and Sefolosha.  

Last season, Rudy averaged 21 pts - 6 rebs - and almost 4 asst, while shooting 45+% FG - 36% 3FG - and 86% FT.  Those are All-Star game worthy stats, if he played on a higher profile team that was winning.

His numbers ( mainly shot attempts ) are down this year, but he'd still be a better offensive wing option and late game closer than anyone we have on the Hawks.  

And the biggest thing is that he's ONLY 29, which means he may still have 2 - 4 years of starter level play in him.  A coach like Bud could bring out the best in Rudy, just like he's done with everyone else on the team.

What are his stats under two minutes left in the game? Why pick under 5 seconds left, where you are reducing the size of the sample to a totally insignificant amount?

Rudy Gay has been on plenty of teams, including good Memphis and Toronto teams, and he has proven to have little to no value. Both teams improved markedly after trading him.

Edited by Atlantaholic

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Honestly, this is almost like the Carmelo Anthony argument.  Because guys like Melo and Rudy haven't had much post season success and have been the leading scorer on bad teams, people think negatively.

But like Melo, Rudy sure does play well when he has talent around him ( like in the Olympics ).

Rudy is a scorer, not a shooter.  And even if he doesn't play lockdown defense, his ability to get tough points when a team needs it the most, is his greatest attribute.

No one asks Thabo to score 20 points, or make tough shots in isolation.  His job is defense, rebounding, and maybe making a few jumpers a game.  Same with Bazemore.

Facts are that if guys had to take on the scoring responsibilities that Rudy had to assume, their numbers would plummet because they just couldn't do it as effectively as Rudy could.

Scoring effectively??? His Ts% is 53% for his career, this is lower than Thabo, Carrol for their careers and well below what Baze is  averaging this year. So he averages 19 points on 16 shots per 36 mins. He also has a 1-1 assist to turnover ratio, doesn't rebound at a particularily high rate, doesn't get to the line at a high rate, doesn't shoot threes at a high percentage, has a high defensive rating on every team he has been on including his last year in Memphis where the team went on an amazing roll to finish with 56 wins after trading him. He went to Toronto and they got a lot better after letting him go as well, especially on defense. So I'm struggling to understand why a wing player that doesn't pass, shoot well, or defend well and is getting paid elite SF money is a good decision for this team. Pulling up stats of the last 5 seconds of games is ridiculous. We don't even know if those shots came with his team being up in the game, down in the game, if the shot won the game or if it was meaningless. It's just the most arbitrary small sample size I can think of. A true clutch stat would be something like stats in the last 6 minutes of a game with the score being close. 

Edited by Atlantaholic