• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Seriously, will Tim Hardaway Jr ever develop into a consistent shooter

NBASupes

I do think Dennis could develop into a consistent shooter, we seen his track record in Europe as well as Bazemore which he is getting there. But Tim has been an inconsistent shooter, hell scorer since even HS. Is a Josh Smith level consistency all we will ever get out of THjr? 

He will never develop into a consistent shooter nor will be ever become an intelligent shooter.  

Almost 54% of all his shot attempts are coming from three.  He is shooting a pedestrian 33% from three this season which is his lowest mark of his young career.  His 54% of shots coming from deep are also a career high.  

Edited by Alex

9 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I do think Dennis could develop into a consistent shooter, we seen his track record in Europe as well as Bazemore which he is getting there. But Tim has been an inconsistent shooter, hell scorer since even HS. Is a Josh Smith level consistency all we will ever get out of THjr? 

Maybe.  Korver should be healthy this off-season so he'll be able to work with him. 

Trust Bud's player development program.

2014 - 15 ( 3 pt % )

Player A - .304

Player B - .343

Player C - .344

2015 - 16 ( 3 pt % )

Player A - .345

Player B - .393

Player C - .387

Player A is Al Horford

Player B is Jeff Teague

Player C is Mike Scott

I agree that Hardaway needs more shots in order to be effective.  His 1 - 5 FG performance last game could turn into a 4 - 9 FG, if he made 3 of his next 4 shots.  But any player can say that.

With the limited minutes he plays, he ( like Mike Scott ) has to come off the bench making shots.  To me, THJ has more potential to be a scorer, than to be used as a shooter.  

Shooters can normally be effective, without taking a lot of shots.  But they're also not relied upon to put up a lot of points.

Scorers are normally streaky, but can score in bunches and in a variety of ways. And at times, they can literally carry the team with their scoring.

• Like 2

I believe he will.  Give him an offseason with a healthy hand.  He has the makings of a good shooter with .878 from the line this year and career .349 from the arc.  

I still can't believe Jeff has hovered around .400 for the season but Baze and Thabo's regression to .350 was expected.  I'm not as confident in Dennis' stroke.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

Key for him is efficiency.  Getting to the line would do wonders for THJr.  He has always had a very low free throw rate (but good % when he gets there).  He needs to watch some Kevin Martin tape and pick up some tips.

• Like 4

On 4/3/2016 at 3:08 PM, NBASupes said:

Dennis needs  to get stronger. He has good form, but lacks strength in his arms and core. That's why he has a long slow windup on threes that's very leggy. He looks like the 7 year old kid at the park that has to rare back from Texas just to make a ball to the rim. His mid range shot is much more fluid because he can shoot it naturally. I don't think he'll become a consistent long range shooter until his strength allows his 3 shot looks more like his midrange shot.  

As far as THJ I'm done  beating that dead horse to death. It's a sunk cost, so I'm just hoping he gets hot in the playoffs. He has the potential to do that. 

• Like 2

Needs more time, he's still a young cat and has good mechanics on his shot. If somebody like Jason Kidd can develop into the shooter that he ended up being I see no reason why Tim can't 

There is hope for Tim and his shooting.  If he can improve his 3ps percentage the way Bazemore did he'll be good.  He already has a decent midrange jumper.  What I don't want is for him to settle for 3s, he isn't Kyle, he has a more varied skillset - he can do more when he drives and get to the freethrow line.  He isn't out of control like Baze on drives.  

I'm excited to see his development next season with a full training camp and a year under his belt.

• Moderators

He got the line well yesterday even if he went 0-3 from deep.  If he keeps getting to the line, it will help make up for his subpar perimeter shot.  He should absolutely be hitting 35% of his 3pt attempts and getting something like 4-5 FTA/36.