• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Preview: Raptors at Hawks

lethalweapon3

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

In order to win in the playoffs our defense has to stop them, period.

If we cant stop both,  we have to stop one and limit the other.

If we can't stop either, then Teague has to match Lowry offensively and Millsap has to up his offensive game - he has struggled against Toronto.

Like Lurker pointed out, Thabo's discipline on defense vs Bazemore lack thereof is a big difference. Our bigs don't have to play a lot of  help  defense with Thabo guarding DeRozan, that's where he gets a lot if foul calls. 

I've been saying start Thabo over Baze all season. Thabo shuts people down,  and Baze would add a scoring punch off the bench. I'd still with Thabo to start in the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

DeRozan vs mostly Sefolosha:

Game 1: 43.8% shooting and NO FTs attempted on him directly (he drew the FTs on Bazemore IIRC).

Tonight: 29.2% shooting (7-24) and only 2 FTs.

DeRozan vs mostly Bazemore:

Game 2: 55% shooting (11-20) and 9 FTs drawn.

Game 3: 56.3% shooting and 6 FTs.

I rest my case.

I don't think anyone on the planet would disagree that Thabo is a better defender than Bazemore. 

The problem in the first game was Lowry going berserk in the 4th quarter. 

Edited by High5
  • Like 2

Let me add: Lowry and DeRozan live at the freethrow line using their pump fakes, apparently Bud drilled it into the Hawks to not get suckered in with pump fakes,  stay down, get a hand up to contest shots.

17 minutes ago, High5 said:

That's where Teague has to match Lowry offensively if he can't stop him.

There were a bunch of highlights in that game.  Glad I can laugh about the rookie going behind his back and killing Jeff off the dribble.  

@mtnbayou, Maul Pimpslap is official.  I hit his Instagram to inform him.  @lethalweapon3 proposed in a past chat he and Al should be All-Defense Second Team.  I wholeheartedly agree.  Won't hold my breath though.

I don't mind the funky lineups from Bud.  He says a lot of the time it's just a gut feeling.  Y'all know you flipped in your chair when Moose came through with the Al pump-n-dunk.  This is lineup experimentation time. Bebe and DeMarre probably had no business in that game just like Kirk or Jeff off the ball.

Liked how the front kept Valuncunas in check.  Or maybe it was Casey only giving him 21 minutes.

3 threes and an open court turnover forced on DeRozan for Timmy.  His settlement into his role has been fun to watch.

Dennis needs to get his head out of there quick.  

Thabo seems to be the story in this one.  DeRozan is so tough to guard because he can downshift everything in his drive attack to long, deliberate moves.  He holds his dribble longer than anyone, his final two steps are like Harden's, and his hangtime is only matched by Wiggins.  It takes nothing less than a Thabo to keep all that in check.

Can somebody please tell Molly Mike where the three point line actually is?  I'm bout tired of him taking Klay Thompson shots.

Gangster team win.  I gotta start trusting Vegas more often.  They've got an affinity for #BudBall Defensive Efficiency. Leggo.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Watchman said:

I missed the first half and I was wondering why Humphries played so little.  Was he hurt?  In the doghouse?  Did Moose blackmail Bud?

He took Humphries out to play a Millsap/Scott front court for absolutely no reason and predictably that line up stunk it up!

9 hours ago, Lurker said:

Still 100% disagree. The difference between how DeRozan has been defended has been huge in the home games in which both should have been won, and it coincides with Bazemore not starting. If Sefolosha starts they have a chance, if not it's going to be ugly. Bazemore is too undisciplined to guard DeRozan/Harden types in the playoffs.

And I understand where you are coming from but my point is that games 2 & 3 have been severely unfair for the hawks. The raptors have fouled Millsap just as much as Bazemore has fouled Derozan but we cannot get the benefit of the whistle. However because I believe we are the better team I said before in other threads  as long as free throws aren't 10 for the hawks vs 28 for the raptors the hawks can beat this team on a nightly basis.

But no doubt does the raptors win their games against the hawks by the help of the refs putting them on the line! I don't care what anyone says..... If we can stay with them or close to them in free throws as a team we will win on most nights out against them thats a fact.

Im not knocking derozan or lowry but they have flaws too. Derozan clearly has an advantage on Bazemore as most SFs do so again I get that. Lowry on the other hand can be matched by teague. Teague can match every east point guard out there as long as he play aggressive which he has been doing since January. Therefore Im not too worried about Lowry and as long as Derozan don't go to the line every play the hawks are in good shape.

On one last note....all the props the squawk give derozan is sicking but I get it the man can ball but at the same time how do you watch these games and not see that no one on the raptors can guard millsap without fouling as well? Be truthful about it...the raptors do not have an answer for millsap either but the refs let them beat him up! If the games is called fair or close to fair the same problem we have with Derozan drawing fouls, the Raptors have had with Millsap...except again Sap just doesn't get the respect unfortunately for us and thats what it comes down to.

9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's where Teague has to match Lowry offensively if he can't stop him.

Yup and truth is, is that Teague can match any EAST point guard. Lowry hasn't been the best against us in the past two games we have played against them. I think the key is maintaining Derozan from beating us on the free throw line. 

I think we should play him similar to how we played Collins on Dwight....Let Derozan get his points if he's going to take and make tough shots so be it....but lock down every one else. If Teague plays aggressive he can easily match Lowry but the question is always what Teague are we going to get? But lets give him the benefit of the doubt since he's been aggressive in literally almost every game since January, therefore I think we are getting "Playoff Teague" for the rest of the season and in the playoffs...."It's Teague Time"

9 hours ago, High5 said:

I don't think anyone on the planet would disagree that Thabo is a better defender than Bazemore. 

Thabo is definitely better theres no argument there however I give Bazemore props for hanging in there! He's a SG guarding a bigger SF on most nights and he's done a decent job as far as the whole season goes. I believe if Bazemore was able to guard SG's on most nights instead we would see a borderline elite defender in the making.

But none the less I still believe when both Bazemore and Thabo are on the floor defensively it creates a world of Havoc for the opponent! lol...alot of it has to do with bazemores crazy energy style on defense which some would say really isn't defense but I say as long as its effective.....then its defense all day!

Dennis Rodman squeezes butts in the paint and it has bothered players...its not defense but since it bothered them and it wasn't called for a foul he kept doing it lol....I remember when Mario West would get put in games at the very end...not a true defender but all of that unnecessary energy he displayed got under the skin of many players. LMAO...point is Bazemore may not be the most fundamental defensive player out there but he does bother his opponents and then some matchups he get exploited but I definitely believe its more so due to his size rather than his style of defense he likes to play.

• Moderators

Bird’s-Eye View of East Opponents, Part II…

PISTONS

• They can officially eliminate Washington with a win against the Wizards tonight at The Palace.
  • Highest Winning% for opponents remaining (60%, tied with Atlanta; 44% for Indiana and Charlotte)
  • Reggie Bullock moved past rookie Stanley Johnson on the depth chart.

• Jodie Meeks’ playoff availability still unclear.

PACERS

• Hawks’ win last night officially keeps Indiana from catching them. Atlanta can finish no lower than 6th.
  • A win tonight in Toronto officially eliminates Chicago.
  • Can still catch Boston (two-way head-to-head tiebreaker), Charlotte (standings), and Miami (must get better conference record, and ATL/CHA wins SE Division), but any of the three teams must lose out.

• Ty Lawson missed Wednesday’s win versus Cleveland, with upper respiratory infection.

HORNETS

• Win tonight vs. Brooklyn keeps them from finishing any lower than 6th.
  • Has best Conference Record among ATL/MIA/BOS, but worse SE Division Record than Miami.

• Frank Kaminsky started in place of Nicolas Batum (knee strain) in win at New York on Wednesday.

heat

• Win tonight at Orlando keeps them from finishing any lower than 6th.
  • Win versus Orlando (on road today, or at home Sunday) locks down best in-division record (SE Division).
  • Team looking to sign Dorell Wright this weekend to fill out roster.

CELTICS

• Win tonight versus Milwaukee keeps them from finishing any lower than 6th.
  • Head-to-heads betw. ATL/BOS/CHA/MIA: BOS 5-2 (both losses to ATL), ATL 6-5, MIA 5-5, CHA 3-7.
  • Marcus Smart (laceration above eye) and Evan Turner (eye abrasion) probable to play versus Milwaukee.

~lw3

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JTB said:

And I understand where you are coming from but my point is that games 2 & 3 have been severely unfair for the hawks. The raptors have fouled Millsap just as much as Bazemore has fouled Derozan but we cannot get the benefit of the whistle. However because I believe we are the better team I said before in other threads  as long as free throws aren't 10 for the hawks vs 28 for the raptors the hawks can beat this team on a nightly basis.

Do refs make you go down 23 against a team? The only game in which you have a LEGIT excuse to be constantly crying about refs is game 2.

Playoff basketball isn’t going to change anything either anyway unless Thabo Sefolosha starts on DeMar DeRozan. We saw that last season. DeRozan will be shooting 12-14 FTs a game on Bazemore if that series happens and shooting a good percentage for him in general, and Teague won’t be allowed to play physical with Lowry.

44 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Head-to-heads betw. ATL/BOS/CHA/MIA: BOS 5-2 (both losses to ATL), ATL 6-5, MIA 5-5, CHA 3-7.

But wait! I thought you had to be able to beat decent teams consistently to be near the top half of the conference! Charlotte shouldn't be anywhere near having a chance at a 3rd or 4th seed according to this!

****cough**** ****cough**** according to some people on here ****cough**** ****cough****

1 hour ago, lethalweapon3 said:
1 hour ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Team looking to sign Dorell Wright this weekend to fill out roster.

Is he playoff eligible? I wanted him as a Hawk....well me and @sturt did a while back. Dang it, I'm hoping he can't be on a playoff roster for the Heat.

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, High5 said:

I'm not saying the Hawks didn't earn the win with their defense, and I agree DeRozan's poor shooting can be exploited in future matchups, but my point is we had basically our best game imaginable defending their backcourt and it was still very close. If we have to rely on shutting both of them down to win then I don't like our chances. Sorry for raining on the parade. I probably hate Toronto more than anyone on here so nothing would make me happier than to eliminate them from the playoffs. 

I'm sure you do realize that Schröder's awful April has brought the Craptors back into the game twice, maybe thrice last night. Schröder has been stinking for so long I'm almost willing to see Kirk take his place as primary backup. It doesn't look like Dennis is ready to play really important games as of now.