• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Whats your true feelings about this years playoffs for our Hawks?

JTB

• Premium Member

I'm optimistic.

I think our hardest task will be the Celtics.   They are deep and it will be hard for us to get up for them.   2nd Round of Lebron (if they make it)... I think we will be up for.   These are not last years Cavs.  This Cavs group is ready to implode like the Magic playing Houstion in the finals.   It's Lebron and a cast of Losers.  Their true character will shine through before it's all over.  I just hope that SVG doesn't get the glory of exposing them.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, hawkman said:

But can you blame them? Last season's ECF was the worst I have ever seen, and that's coming from a Hawks fan.

Nope, I really can't blame them.  They run a business and the kind of smackdown they gave the Hawks isn't appealing to watch.

Brendan Haywood said on NBARadio that their (CLE's) key to stopping us last year was going under the screen on Teague.  Living with Jeff "trying to get you 30" was CLE's main focus on D.

Said  that strategy kept him out of the lane and kept them (CLE) from being in rotation on D.  Neutralized Al getting his and the shooters getting off.  He thinks BOS will try to duplicate that methodology.

Interesting.  Will Jeff be able to make them pay?  Will Budz recognize and adjust?

56 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Brendan Haywood said on NBARadio that their (CLE's) key to stopping us last year was going under the screen on Teague.  Living with Jeff "trying to get you 30" was CLE's main focus on D.

Said  that strategy kept him out of the lane and kept them (CLE) from being in rotation on D.  Neutralized Al getting his and the shooters getting off.  He thinks BOS will try to duplicate that methodology.

Interesting.  Will Jeff be able to make them pay?  Will Budz recognize and adjust?

The big advantage we got in this is we have a size advantage in this one. 

25 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The big advantage we got in this is we have a size advantage in this one. 

Size advantage over BOS?  I'd say we have a skill advantage, especially in the bigs.

Btw, all the eggsperts are picking BOS ... even though they expect Teague and fake-a** Isaiah Thomas to pretty much cancel each other out (even tho he can't guard Teague and it's not even close but I digress) and they expect us to have a significant advantage in the frontcourt.

:hmm::huh:  Sorry, but that math don't add up, eggsperts.

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

It isn't just as cut and dry as this. Two other big factors, factors that were perhaps even bigger were slowing the game down to a crawl and preventing any transition opportunities, and having a couple big men that are solid defending the pick and roll. I'd honestly love to see Boston try the slow the game down to a crawl. It'd hurt Atlanta's offense, but there's one big detail that people are missing here, Boston's half court offense is actually WORSE than Atlanta's, so not playing in a fast pace game would hurt them. Boston also only has one big man that is a good PNR defender.

So the idea that Boston can replicate what Cleveland did without some major flaws is uhhhhhhh......

It's not to say that Boston can't win this series, but if they do, it's because they found an answer for Paul Millsap on defense and outworked this team.

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I would bet that Cleveland would set their moving screen  and force Jeff left.  Jeff seemed to have developed his left hand and  is more than  willing to to drive left, so maybe  that'll be different from  last year.

I hope Bud has a counter for simply going under the screen.  Additionally, the first and only option to going under the screen shouldn't be Jeff settling for the initial jump shot.  He still needs to find ways  to mix it up and stay aggressive getting in the paint and forcing the defense to shift.

38 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Size advantage over BOS?  I'd say we have a skill advantage, especially in the bigs.

Btw, all the eggsperts are picking BOS ... even though they expect Teague and fake-a** Isaiah Thomas to pretty much cancel each other out (even tho he can't guard Teague and it's not even close but I digress) and they expect us to have a significant advantage in the frontcourt.

:hmm::huh:  Sorry, but that math don't add up, eggsperts.

Some Boston fans on  RealGM think that Bostonn wins if Olynyk serves up Millsap with an arm bar similar to  the one he used  on KLove last year taking him out  the playoffs.  

This game is  gonna be rough  and tumble, I hope our players are ready  for the battles with no whistles.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

It worked for them because Lebron was able to neutralize a gimpy DMC and KK was out.     While we don't have DMC and KK is not playing his best, I think we've evolved in our offensive play.

The key just may be BAZE!

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, Lurker said:

It's not to say that Boston can't win this series, but if they do, it's because they found an answer for Paul Millsap on defense and outworked this team.

No.  I'd say if they win this series it would be because they've found an answer to our defense and Isiah Thomas was able to get off in every game.

• Moderators

The best analysis that I've read is that we will win because we have the best 2 players on the floor: horford and millsap.   We have to hit our 3s to win but we don't hit our threes unless we establish some inside game.   I do think we can do that against them.   Still, as others have said, we can't take quarters off like we've seen in some games lately.   That pesky D, low turnovers, and ball movement has to be there the whole game.

22 hours ago, Lurker said:

It doesn't matter if whether it's Boston or Atlanta playing Cleveland, that series is over in 5 maximum.

If Boston plays Cleveland, it will be 4-1 Cleveland.

If Atlanta plays Cleveland, it will be 4-0 Cleveland.

In fact, the fact that if Atlanta beats Boston, they have to face Cleveland, makes me think the Hawks, who are afraid of the Cavaliers, might not even beat Boston. Atlanta is playing like a team that wants NO part of the playoffs.

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Moderators

Nah.  If we make it to Cleveland I think it will be a much more competitive series than last year.   We're better, deeper, and healthier than the Hawks team that made it to the ECF.   Subtract Demarre and Pero (who didn't do much).  Add Thabo, Tim, and Kris plus a much improved Baze, Scott and Dennis (cross fingers).   Scott was recovering last year and playing horribly when he did get off the bench.     Of course the Cavs have Kyrie and Love which is big but as others have pointed out it doesn't necessarily make them that much harder for us than the way they played us last year.   

Don't get me wrong.   The nba will never let us win that series even if we could but at least we can hope for a good showing.

Despite the abysmal effort we finished the regular season with, I expect to beat Boston. We should probably win in 5, but I wouldn't be surprised if it went the distance. Then we play Cleveland and pray for 1 win and a couple of competitive losses. 

I just don't want to see any games where our starting SG played 40 minutes for 7 points. Those will be sure losses.

Kyle has shown to be a decent defender of the Turner, Bradley, and Crowder wing corps becuase they aren't terribly athletic or quick.  On the other end, the blueprint on denying Kyle the ball has been circulated throughout the league.  

His +26 in 26 minutes with only 5 points, 1 board and assist with 6 TO+PF last meeting is still one of the bigger stat anomalies of this season.  

Al and Sap are gonna eat, just as the Celtics will offensive rebound and get to the line.  The smallish guards and utility forwards will giveth and taketh for both teams.  I agree with @Diesel that Baze could be an x-factor.  Hot Kyle, comfortable Game 6 advance.  Cold Kyle, tough Game 6 exit.

• Premium Member

My honest opinion is that Bud's style of basketball isn't made for the playoffs...Bud wants to move the ball and run sets to get open shots which works in the regular season but in a playoff series, other teams know all of your sets and their various options.   Those successful sets run during season turn into turnovers and fast break points.  Usually team compensate by playing more isolation ball and rely on defense and rebounding to carry them through but Bud doesn't think like that.  He prefers to continue to try to out execute teams which may work in the 1st round but eventually will be their undoing primarily because of the Hawk's rebounding issues.  We will never win a championship until we start to place value on rebounding which means Paul Millsap should not get minutes @ center especially with Scott @ the 4 and Korver @ the 3.  Paul and Scott should see some time @ the 3 and Jeff Teague should not play the 2 guard position. And by the way, Korver should not start and get 30 minutes and Bazemore should play the majority of his minutes as a 2 guard.

9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

My honest opinion is that Bud's style of basketball isn't made for the playoffs...Bud wants to move the ball and run sets to get open shots which works in the regular season but in a playoff series, other teams know all of your sets and their various options.   Those successful sets run during season turn into turnovers and fast break points.  Usually team compensate by playing more isolation ball and rely on defense and rebounding to carry them through but Bud doesn't think like that.  He prefers to continue to try to out execute teams which may work in the 1st round but eventually will be their undoing primarily because of the Hawk's rebounding issues.  We will never win a championship until we start to place value on rebounding which means Paul Millsap should not get minutes @ center especially with Scott @ the 4 and Korver @ the 3.  Paul and Scott should see some time @ the 3 and Jeff Teague should not play the 2 guard position. And by the way, Korver should not start and get 30 minutes and Bazemore should play the majority of his minutes as a 2 guard.

Millsap isn't a SF, he'd be a liability there. If you want to get bigger, it's Millsap or Horford gotta GO.

Edited by Lurker