• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks post largest drop in local tv ratings this season.

Hawkmoor

Well, DUH. Local fans KNOW this team isnt championship caliber. If the Hawks cared,  a player like Durant would be on speed dial when he becomes a free agent. I wonder why the top markets were Golden State, Cleveland and San Antonio?

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/report-hawks-post-nbas-largest-drop-in-local-tv-ra/nrCtM/

The Hawks posted the largest decline in local TV ratings in the NBA this season, according to an analysis of Nielsen data by SportsBusiness Journal.

Hawks regular-season games on Fox Sports Southeast averaged a 1.2 rating, down 45 percent from the previous season, the study showed.

However, it noted that the Hawks’ rating was “on par” with their seasons preceding 2014-15. Before averaging a 2.18 rating in that 60-win season, the Hawks’ ratings ranged from 0.97 to 1.4 in the six prior seasons, according to SBJ.

The rating is the number of households out of every 100 in the market tuned in to a telecast on average.

The Golden State Warriors had the NBA’s highest average local TV rating this season at 9.76, followed by the Cleveland Cavaliers (9.31) and the San Antonio Spurs (8.71), SBJ reported.

Edited by Hawkmoor

23 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

You act like we can just call Durant and he will be in Atlanta ASAP. LOL. 

No. I want to see the EFFORT by Hawks management to SERIOUSLY go after a player of Durants caliber. Me and the millions of fans who DIDNT tune in to the Hawks, all feel the same way. The ratings PROVED that.......

Heck, even Phillips arena is a away home game for some teams:

OPM_2652.JPG

Edited by Hawkmoor

I think it's not so much about this season being a huge drop, but how last season was a huge spike. History making seasons will do that, and last season was historic for the Hawks, hence the spike in ratings last year. Now this season is back to the norm. 

Golden State put on a historic run not just for their franchise, but for the entire league, so naturally their viewership will be tops.  If they go on pace to win 60 next season, their ratings will drop, too. 

• Like 1

Casual fans simply can't support or get interested in this team.  The Color Crew doesn't do the telecast any favors either.

Atlanta in large only supports generational athletes.  I ain't mad at it unless said athlete plays for the enemy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

It's about Atanta being fair weather fans ... They don't support their teams ... We have been putting a winning product on the court for a while and only when we win 60 game s do they show up

I wouldn't count regular season success as a winning product after so many years of making the playoffs only to not be competitive and get embarrassed by the good teams every year. Maybe more people would watch if we didn't win 60 games only to not even put up a  fight against an injured Cleveland team, and barely getting by Washington. When the team starts to show some real fight and grit then maybe people will pay more attention. U can't blame Atlanta fans with Atlanta Sports history the way it is. They always let us down when we think we finally have something to cheer for. They never go out like men, always like b**ches.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, capstone21 said:

It's about Atanta being fair weather fans ... They don't support their teams ... We have been putting a winning product on the court for a while and only when we win 60 game s do they show up

If they want the fans to give their all consistently, then the Hawks organization needs to give their all consistently.  That's not been the case.  If the fans don't get the sense that the Hawks are really trying for something more than just being a good team, then they'll continue to be indifferent.

Edited by Jody23
  • Like 1

• Admin

There is a reason that the fans here have been the butt of jokes from announcers over the years ... it often feels like an away game for the home team  ... It is embarrassing ... you blame the organization but the fans don't come out to support the Hawks ... We have to get a Durant to get them to come and that does not mean they are going to come here ... that is the problem here ... ... People complained when they lost the NHL team ... well unless you come to watch/support the product ... how can it stay?   The fans here only support championship caliber teams ...  there is no inbetween.  Same thing happened to the Braves ... look at other teams where the fans come whether you win or lose.  That is just not here

• Like 1

There are countless reasons as to why the fandom here is suspect.  One of the biggest (traffic issues) is only getting worse.

As far as the tv ratings, for some reason people enjoy reality television, zombies, and Channel 69-grade shows like Scandal and Empire as opposed to the real drama of sports.  I can't understand it and won't try to.

• Like 1

vor 42 Minuten, capstone21 sagte:

There is a reason that the fans here have been the butt of jokes from announcers over the years ... it often feels like an away game for the home team  ... It is embarrassing ... you blame the organization but the fans don't come out to support the Hawks ... We have to get a Durant to get them to come and that does not mean they are going to come here ... that is the problem here ... ... People complained when they lost the NHL team ... well unless you come to watch/support the product ... how can it stay?   The fans here only support championship caliber teams ...  there is no inbetween.  Same thing happened to the Braves ... look at other teams where the fans come whether you win or lose.  That is just not here

LOL dude. If you need a Durant in order for "fans" to come out, atlanta doesnt deserve an nba franchise. Its as simple as that. Atlanta fans are way worse than their team, which was a top team last year and still can win the championship (unlikely). I guess atlanta is too pretty of a city for people to have time to watch basketball, oh well they do that in prettier citys aswell? Maybe afterall that dude that called out the fans was right about atlanta fans being shitty (definitly not right about the black stuff). If the fans would create a unique atmosphere, players would be intregued and would join.

Edited by gonzo

If you need a Kevin Durant to attract fans to come to games, that's where you're wrong at the start. And he's not even coming, even if Atlanta gets on hands and knees to beg him to come. If they ask, he'll laugh in their faces and say no.

If it's not college football, it has to be a season like the Falcons from 2012, Hawks last year, or Braves from 2013 to attract the fans period. And even with the Braves in 2013 they failed to sell out the NLDS home games.

That should sum up that city, a sorry sports city and it gets even better when you realize a lot of the Georgia natives that DO root for Atlanta in pro sports do not live in Atlanta and do not care to go to Atlanta at all (this is me, the only way you'll get me to Atlanta is if my aunt invites family to her place up in the northeastern parts).

• Premium Member

10 minutes ago, Lurker said:

If you need a Kevin Durant to attract fans to come to games, that's where you're wrong at the start. And he's not even coming, even if Atlanta gets on hands and knees to beg him to come. If they ask, he'll laugh in their faces and say no.

If it's not college football, it has to be a season like the Falcons from 2012, Hawks last year, or Braves from 2013 to attract the fans period. And even with the Braves in 2013 they failed to sell out the NLDS home games.

That should sum up that city, a sorry sports city and it gets even better when you realize a lot of the Georgia natives that DO root for Atlanta in pro sports do not live in Atlanta and do not care to go to Atlanta at all (this is me, the only way you'll get me to Atlanta is if my aunt invites family to her place up in the northeastern parts).

It's true. I'm one of the biggest Atlanta Hawks fans out there but I haven't been to the game in years or watched them on tv (I watch them online) because well, I live a thousand miles away in a different country. Atlanta is a transplant city, I mean, jesus, from the time I got there to the time I left the city almost doubled in size in just a mere decade. Truth is most fans there will only show up to watch a championship favorite and that's because most people are not even from Atlanta. That's just a fact,, and I assure you it is one of the reasons most free agents don't even seriously consider Atlanta. This years team SHOULD have gotten more support. Sure they were disappointing for long stretches this year, but it is basically the same team that won 60 games last year, and the fans should have given them the benefit of the doubt and stuck with them until they found their grove. But yea, Atlanta just doesn't have real Atlantians with any real pride or sense of belonging to the city. So loyalty to clubs just doesn't exist.

• Like 1

• Admin
20 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That is what i am saying ... I am commenting on the fans and their lack of for a better word fandom for their teams.  We are not getting a Durant and if getting a big superstar to get fans to 'cheer' and support the team then there is something wrong with the fans here.  They are fair weather fans.

13 minutes ago, skimaskway23 said:

Oh look casual fans demanding a top 5 player and blaming the front office for not picking one off a tree. Some people just don't understand the logistics of nba free agency.

What do you mean?  The only reason KD's not a Hawk right now is because the Hawks front office doesn't care.  That's the only reason.  They don't care to be a winner.  They're just here to flip the team for fifty-bajillion dollars and move on.  See, the way to really increase the value of the team is to not go after top free agents.