• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Squawk... Do we know what's best for the Hawks?

Diesel

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

tumblr_n3fbv3DqKO1txplyno1_500.gif

They don't like what I say.  Then people complain about the kind of players we don't have ... or don't play.

They: "We need a wing that can rebound, play defense, and score"

Me: "Lance Stephenson"

They: "NOOOOOOOOOOO"

They: "We need a real center. A guy who can rebound and create offense in the post."

Me: "Al Jefferson"

They: "We need a superstar, or at least a clutch scorer at the end of games"

Me: "Melo? Rudy Gay?"

They: "NOOOOOOOOOO"

They: "The Hawks keep getting killed on the boards."

Me: "Go to a big lineup"

They: "NOOOO .. err .. what do we have to lose?"

16 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

They don't like what I say.  Then people complain about the kind of players we don't have ... or don't play.

They: "We need a wing that can rebound, play defense, and score"

Me: "Lance Stephenson"

They: "We need a real center. A guy who can rebound and create offense in the post."

Me: "Al Jefferson"

They: "We need a superstar, or at least a clutch scorer at the end of games"

Me: "Melo? Rudy Gay?"

They: "NOOOOOOOOOO", 

They: "The Hawks keep getting killed on the boards."

Me: "Go to a big lineup"

They: "NOOOO .. err .. what do we have to lose?"

so our lineup would be a PG, Lance, Melo/Gay, Al Jeff  and a rebounding big? :hmm:

22 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

so our lineup would be a PG, Lance, Melo/Gay, Al Jeff  and a rebounding big? :hmm:

I've never said this before and I never thought I would but if that's our lineup...IM GONE...lol...can you imagine Melo and Gay on the same team? Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

58 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Teague - Lance - Melo\Gay - Horford - Jefferson.

It's about balance, and having guys who can function as a go to guy.  And guys who aren't liabilities on the court.

Millsap is better than Jefferson .... now.  But he wasn't 2 years ago, when Al dominated in the post and made 3rd team All-NBA.

A guy like Rudy Gay has always been a clutch scorer down the stretch of games.  And he can create his own shot at anytime.  Better than Baze.

Melo is Melo.  Borderline superstar. Legitimate go to guy.  Has no problem being the offensive focal point.  Will even facilitate when called upon.

Lance is a utility knife ... and a hustle player ... and a slasher.  Had a great 2nd half of the season with Memphis.

See, Hawks fans poo poo at those guys because they either couldn't be "the man" on their respective squads, or they play on losing teams, or they have a bad rep.   But when you're running on a treadmill, I believe you have no choice but to take risks on players like that.

What's the worse that could happen?  We get saddled with a bad contract?  We lose "flexibility"?  What good is flexibility when the only thing you can attract are fringe or discarded role players?  Especially when there is no superstar player to make those players better?

We're really not in a position in which we can say no to ANY player with talent, because it's a good bet that player is more talented than everyone except Horford and Millsap.

Fans accuse ownership of WLOC ( We Love Our Core ) .... While the fans have a WHEE attitude

We Hate Everybody Else

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

I've never said this before and I never thought I would but if that's our lineup...IM GONE...lol...can you imagine Melo and Gay on the same team? Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Because that would be worse than starting 2 guys who can't even score in clutch situations? ( Baze and Korver )

See, this is what I'm talking about.

Both Gay and Melo have played in the Olympics and flat out BALLED, when they played alongside other talented guys.  This league is trending toward "stars" hooking up with "stars".  

Yet, people want to talk negative about Melo and Rudy, when we have a guy who needs to be completely wide open, just to get his shot off ( Korver ) ... and a young guy who has talent, but is wild as hell and better suited as a 6th man ( Bazemore ).

As much I hate the idea of bringing in Dwight Howard, if we could get him without losing Sap and Al, I'd be for it.

Assembling a group of STAR players ( and not ROLE plaers ) is the only way we even have a shot to take down these superstar led teams.

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Because that would be worse than starting 2 guys who can't even score in clutch situations? ( Baze and Korver )

See, this is what I'm talking about.

Both Gay and Melo have played in the Olympics and flat out BALLED, when they played alongside other talented guys.  This league is trending toward "stars" hooking up with "stars".  

Yet, people want to talk negative about Melo and Rudy, when we have a guy who needs to be completely wide open, just to get his shot off ( Korver ) ... and a young guy who has talent, but is wild as hell and better suited as a 6th man ( Bazemore ).

As much I hate the idea of bringing in Dwight Howard, if we could get him without losing Sap and Al, I'd be for it.

Assembling a group of STAR players ( and not ROLE plaers ) is the only way we even have a shot to take down these superstar led teams.

Did you just insinuate that Gay is a star? Wow, you've been here way too long and have watched too much basketball to want Melo and Gay I'm sorry.

6 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Did you just insinuate that Gay is a star? Wow, you've been here way too long and have watched too much basketball to want Melo and Gay I'm sorry.

Do the Hawks have any player on the roster that can do what these two are doing in this clip?

As far as Rudy, he's not a superstar, but he's always been a star in this league.

But enough talk.  This is for your enjoyment ... or hate.

11 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Do the Hawks have any player on the roster that can do what these two are doing in this clip?

As far as Rudy, he's not a superstar, but he's always been a star in this league.

But enough talk.  This is for your enjoyment ... or hate.

Hawks could've used either player in these playoffs.

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Hawks could've used either player in these playoffs.

Course they could. But it's not like they'd  just be added to our current  team. It would be to replace other players on our team. And what you gain offensively with them both you also loose defensively.  Just saying.

54 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Course they could. But it's not like they'd  just be added to our current  team. It would be to replace other players on our team. And what you gain offensively with them both you also loose defensively.  Just saying.

This was the Al Jefferson argument 3 years ago.  Since his arrival in Charlotte, they have ranked 5th, 9th and 9th in defense, with he being the main guy clearing the defensive boards.

Sometimes, we as fans want the perfect fit, and will overlook guys who may be the guy we truly need.

Did you see Melo's defense on Rudy in that video clip on the final possession in regulation?  He forced him left and ended up stripping him of the ball as he was going up.  Keep in mind that no one in the NBA over the past 10 years has made a higher percentage of last second shots, than Gay.

Melo is less of a defensive liability in iso situations than Korver.  And good team defensive principles can be taught, which is why Korver is considered a good team defender.