• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If this true we are kind of screwed

Wurider05

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2642010-how-much-money-does-your-nba-team-have-to-spend-in-2016-free-agency/page/3

Guaranteed Salary: $51,701,657

Non-Guaranteed Salary: Mike Muscala ($1,015,696), Lamar Patterson ($874,636), Mike Scott ($3,333,334)

Free-Agent Cap Holds: Kent Bazemore ($2,600,000), Kirk Hinrich ($5,692,415), Al Horford ($18,000,000), Kris Humphries ($1,200,000)

First-Round Pick Holds: No. 21 ($1,249,800)

Dead Money: $0

All-Inclusive Total: $85,667,538

Cap Space: $6,332,462

If the Atlanta Hawks are serious about keeping their core intact, they won't have much financial flexibility this summer.

Al Horford's $18 million cap hold is a monster, but that's actually less than he would earn in the first year of a max deal. And since the Hawks own his full Bird rights, they can go over the cap to re-sign him after staging other free-agent pursuits, all while using that $18 million as a placeholder.

Brandishing a little over $6.3 million in spending power, of course, won't get you much in the new salary-cap climate. But that number can climb to a more exciting $13.2 million if the Hawks renounce the holds on Kirk Hinrich (duh) and Kris Humphries (kind of duh).

There is only one problem. And its name is Kent Bazemore. The Hawks own his Early Bird rights, which means they can only offer him 175 percent of his current salary or 104.5 percent of the NBA's average income (roughly $4 million) before dipping into cap space.

League executives told ESPN.com's Zach Lowe back in January that Bazemore could command $12 million or more per year in his next contract. Ergo, to keep him, Atlanta will have to burn through all its cap space—and that's after cutting bait with Hinrich and Humphries.

The Hawks can carve out more cash by declining a team option on Mike Muscala (beyond unlikely) or waiving Mike Scott's non-guaranteed pact (also unlikely), but the difference would be marginal. So unless they're prepared to part ways with one or both of Bazemore and Horford, don't expect them to be very active on the free-agency front.

This is going to be a very interesting summer in Hawks land!!

• Like 1

Hinrich is not getting renounced. His BR can get a lot back in a SnT. He is way more valuable to use in a SnT for someone like Jarrett Jack or a big. Kirk's contract is extremely valuable.  

Humphries is useful for resigning but like Bazemore, he is directly from cap space. There is a chance he might not be back.

Obviously, Jeff or Dennis trade has to be a major haul for us. Our best trade assets with Millsap. 

I don't believe this is completely right....isn't there additional cap space that can be had by reconstructing splitters contract?

current cap space at 6m is right but I've read from either NBA.com or ESPN.com that NBA teams can go ahead figure that the salary cap will be at 92. Entering the summer we only have 51 in commited salaries. 

Resign moose, Lamar, Scott that's an additional 5 or 6m so the Hawks will be at 56 or 57m in commited salaries if they choose to keep those 3. 

Bud knows to use the full cap space available before resigning  Horford.  If 92 is the projected cap we are working off of the Hawks should have at least 35m in cap space after resigning just moose, Lamar, Scott.

however I thought splitters contract could be reconstructed if the Hawks choose to based off something in his contract that will take him to 2 or 3m per year which would give us additional cap space in the mid 40s

BUT PLEASE DONT LISTEN TO ME THATS MY UNDERSTANDING AND ITS LIKELY WRONG  SOMEWHERE WHEN IT COMES TO THIS CAP SPACE STUFF.

1 hour ago, JTB said:

I don't believe this is completely right....isn't there additional cap space that can be had by reconstructing splitters contract?

current cap space at 6m is right but I've read from either NBA.com or ESPN.com that NBA teams can go ahead figure that the salary cap will be at 92. Entering the summer we only have 51 in commited salaries. 

Resign moose, Lamar, Scott that's an additional 5 or 6m so the Hawks will be at 56 or 57m in commited salaries if they choose to keep those 3. 

Bud knows to use the full cap space available before resigning  Horford.  If 92 is the projected cap we are working off of the Hawks should have at least 35m in cap space after resigning just moose, Lamar, Scott.

however I thought splitters contract could be reconstructed if the Hawks choose to based off something in his contract that will take him to 2 or 3m per year which would give us additional cap space in the mid 40s

BUT PLEASE DONT LISTEN TO ME THATS MY UNDERSTANDING AND ITS LIKELY WRONG  SOMEWHERE WHEN IT COMES TO THIS CAP SPACE STUFF.

Naw, Splitter locked in for 8.55 mil. He took less of his trade kicker is what you are thinking about.

NBA is stupid with their cap system in place.  Just complete nonsense.  A hard cap would fix a lot of issues.  

13 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Cleveland, Golden State, San Antonio, etc.  Somehow, they ADD to their already talented rosters, while the Hawks.........lmao

You do not understand the cap. You can go OVER it, but ONLY IF YOUR PLAYER ON THE TEAM HAS BIRD RIGHTS!

The Hawks did not have bird rights on Millsap and did not have bird rights on Carroll. Once they signed Millsap, they were done with major moves as it filled up the cap.

The difference with those teams is THEY HAD BIRD RIGHTS ON ALL THEIR STARS!

• Like 1

Even if Al Horford does resign to a max deal, this one is somewhat questionable but they can go over the cap this time. Kent Bazemore however? Team friendly deal, or he has to be allowed to walk.

Edited by Lurker

8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Naw, Splitter locked in for 8.55 mil. He took less of his trade kicker is what you are thinking about.

@JTB.   @NBASupes Splitter can be released and his money spread over 4 years (I  think) so $2.2 mil will count against the cap - using the stretch provision.

34 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@JTB.   @NBASupes Splitter can be released and his money spread over 4 years (I  think) so $2.2 mil will count against the cap - using the stretch provision.

That's not a good idea for Splitter. He's actually decent. I kinda want to keep him but we need a SF 

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

You do not understand the cap. You can go OVER it, but ONLY IF YOUR PLAYER ON THE TEAM HAS BIRD RIGHTS!

The Hawks did not have bird rights on Millsap and did not have bird rights on Carroll. Once they signed Millsap, they were done with major moves as it filled up the cap.

The difference with those teams is THEY HAD BIRD RIGHTS ON ALL THEIR STARS!

You thought i was talking about KEEPING the scrubs they got?  lmao

• Premium Member
On May 28, 2016 at 0:56 PM, Hawkmoor said:

Cleveland, Golden State, San Antonio, etc.  Somehow, they ADD to their already talented rosters, while the Hawks.........lmao

This is 100% true.  Every year we have people on here worrying about the cap and and trying to sign players on the cheap.  The real teams find a way to get the players they need.  

All we get is excuses from the Hawks and the majority of Hawksquawk.   

Let the excuses begin because we know they are coming.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

This is 100% true.  Every year we have people on here worrying about the cap and and trying to sign players on the cheap.  The real teams sign their players to deals that grant them bird rights and an endless cap.

Fixed, stop with this ish, as you know if the Hawks could sign players they could, but the bird rights situation screwed them and it might again.

On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 8:40 PM, Hawkmoor said:

You thought i was talking about KEEPING the scrubs they got?  lmao

So you say drop Millsap as well and rebuild because of the Cleveland stomping the first time back in 2015 free agency? Excellent decision! Because it was sign Millsap or Carroll or go rebuild. As the top level FAs were never going to SERIOUSLY consider coming here even if Atlanta got on hands and knees and begged.

Edited by Lurker

I used to be in the tank/rebuild camp.  I am realizing the Hawks will never win a title much less ever win the east.  If they went full rebuild there is no guarantee of anything.  We know free agents who can help the Hawks over the hump aren't coming here.  I think I am content with the Hawks doing what they have been.  Playoff basketball every year.  

On 5/28/2016 at 1:56 PM, Hawkmoor said:

Cause those teams know how to make strategic trades and draft well. All we know how to do is draft bust, clear cap space, and make trades for 2nd round picks and backups

Edited by yungsta

1 hour ago, yungsta said:

Cause those teams know how to make strategic trades and draft well. All we know how to do is draft bust, clear cap space, and make trades for 2nd round picks and backups

That's the truth.  it hurts but its the truth.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think we overreact to losing to the Cavs.   The truth is that we're not that far off.   We did beat Boston and many people were afraid of Boston.     There are some important question to encounter:

1.  How good is a healthy Splitter?

2.  What kind of rotation will we have at C?  Horf/Splitter/Humphries?

3.  Is there a good 3 that we can get our hands on in free agency?

• Like 1