• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If this true we are kind of screwed

Wurider05

12 hours ago, Alex said:

I used to be in the tank/rebuild camp.  I am realizing the Hawks will never win a title much less ever win the east.  If they went full rebuild there is no guarantee of anything.  We know free agents who can help the Hawks over the hump aren't coming here.  I think I am content with the Hawks doing what they have been.  Playoff basketball every year.  

I am not content but I want a championship  level team. I feel that we got a nice core, we just are missing one more piece. Maybe two solid pieced could be added which will help.

6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I am not content but I want a championship  level team. I feel that we got a nice core, we just are missing one more piece. Maybe two solid pieced could be added which will help.

I wish I could believe that.  We need more than solid pieces.  We aren't even in the conversation of being a legitimate championship contender when a season starts.  We are considered a 'playoff bound team' sometimes not even that by the "experts."

I do think we have a "nice core" but we need so much more to get to an actual championship team.

I see things like "OKC is missing a 3rd star" and I think -  Maaaaan, the Hawks don't even have ONE!!!  That's depressing.

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I wish I could believe that.  We need more than solid pieces.  We aren't even in the conversation of being a legitimate championship contender when a season starts.  We are considered a 'playoff bound team' sometimes not even that by the "experts."

I do think we have a "nice core" but we need so much more to get to an actual championship team.

I see things like "OKC is missing a 3rd star" and I think -  Maaaaan, the Hawks don't even have ONE!!!  That's depressing.

They are missing unity on the court. Westbrook and Durant must become team players.

For us, it's a number 1 option regardless if he is a starter or bench player but he has to still fit. That's why adding those like Lou Williams don't fit. The we need a closer. Joe Johnson is ideally what I would like. 

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

They are missing unity on the court. Westbrook and Durant must become team players.

For us, it's a number 1 option regardless if he is a starter or bench player but he has to still fit. That's why adding those like Lou Williams don't fit. The we need a closer. Joe Johnson is ideally what I would like. 

A # 1 option on the bench? - Does not compute

Joe doesn't make us Championship contender.  He just makes us better in the playoffs.

• Premium Member
On 5/30/2016 at 9:12 PM, Lurker said:

Fixed, stop with this ish, as you know if the Hawks could sign players they could, but the bird rights situation screwed them and it might again.

Bullsh*t.   Who put the team in this situtation?  Go ahead keep defending and making excuses.   They dont have the money nor the management talent to bring in the players needed to compete at the highest level.   Bring back Ted Turner.  

Edited by Vol4ever

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Joe Johnson couldn't close the deal when he was here.   Why can he now?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Bullsh*t.   Who put the team in this situtation?  Go ahead keep defending and making excuses.   They dont have the money nor the management talent to bring in the players needed to compete at the highest level.   Bring back Ted Turner.

Danny Ferry

And yes they do have the money now, the new owners aren't paying over the tax but will go over the cap. The issue is, you can't go over the cap if you sign players that aren't under bird rights. This has been gone over TIME AND TIME again...

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/5/30/11651474/atlanta-hawks-salary-cap-luxury-tax-rules

This should wrap it up and end the discussion here, and it reinforces what I said in an earlier post: The choice for the Hawks was to keep one of Millsap/Carroll, or go blow it up and rebuild. There was no in between because if they let both walk, the odds of them getting a high end free agent that would keep them at a high level were very low and they would end up going into the next season (at last year's offseason) with a very watered down roster if they decided "hey lets roll the dice on high end free agents".

Which really the only one was LaMarcus Aldridge, and he is so overrated. Sorry but that's the truth. He's overrated.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Lurker said:

Danny Ferry

And yes they do have the money now, the new owners aren't paying over the tax but will go over the cap. The issue is, you can't go over the cap if you sign players that aren't under bird rights. This has been gone over TIME AND TIME again...

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/5/30/11651474/atlanta-hawks-salary-cap-luxury-tax-rules

This should wrap it up and end the discussion here, and it reinforces what I said in an earlier post: The choice for the Hawks was to keep one of Millsap/Carroll, or go blow it up and rebuild. There was no in between because if they let both walk, the odds of them getting a high end free agent that would keep them at a high level were very low and they would end up going into the next season (at last year's offseason) with a very watered down roster if they decided "hey lets roll the dice on high end free agents".

Which really the only one was LaMarcus Aldridge, and he is so overrated. Sorry but that's the truth. He's overrated.

If what you say is true then nothing changes from this year, we just kick the can down the road a little farther.    Funny though Cleveland found a way to get Lebron the players they needed.   It can be done, just not with this organization. 

8 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

If what you say is true then nothing changes from this year, we just kick the can down the road a little farther.    Funny though Cleveland found a way to get Lebron the players they needed.   It can be done, just not with this organization. 

Before LeBron left to join Miami, what was there cap situation? Over the cap. While he was gone, they were still over, he came back, still over. Why? Because they had an owner with deep pockets willing to do whatever. Go in Luxury Tax.

We had owners, the ASG, who were NEVER interested in exceeding the cap by $1, just so they can get their share of money from LT paying teams.

Again, a team can't one day decide we will exceed the cap to sign whoever. You get over the cap by resigning YOUR OWN PLAYERS over a period of years.

Like @hawksfanatic pointed out the earliest possibility of going over the cap is in 2017.  He spends a lot of time doing these CBA documents that explains the why. They are worth the read to alleviate the fustration as to why the Cavs can and we can't.

It's  not that our new owners won't, it's  that they can't at the moment. However, going forward time will tell.

3 hours ago, Bankingitbig said:

I don't think the Cavs were over the cap while LeBron was gone, but I could be wrong. Basketball Reference shows their 2013-2014 salary at $47M when the cap was ~$59M.

I think that first year they were because they got a TPE for $17 million for the LBJ 'trade' to Miami that counts against the cap.

When LBJ returned, you are correct they were under the cap.  They got over the cap by resigning all those young guys they drafted in LBJ's absence.