• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Is there any inkling whatsoever where we are going in the draft??

Wurider05

Every single mock draft I look at has us drafting someone different.  Do we go best available player other than pg?  I am not expecting us to make any major moves because it makes too much sense. We will probably trade down or draft a foreign player to develop overseas. like this team has the luxury to do something like that.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Alex said:

Draft and stash player or trade the pick away for someone.  

I believe that this is the plan.  We don't have the motivation to develop players.  We're not a young team, we're a vet team.   I see us either trading for usable talent or stashing a guy like we tried to do with Bebe.

It's a shame too because that 2013 draft was filled with good bigs.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I believe that this is the plan.  We don't have the motivation to develop players.  We're not a young team, we're a vet team.   I see us either trading for usable talent or stashing a guy like we tried to do with Bebe.

Whether drafting, trading or signing FAs coach Bud and staff have built a lot of their existing reputation on developing players. I'm believing that Bud does have the motivation and resources to develop players. We have even been trying to work out our own D league team for a while instead of mostly sending our greens over to Austin. Not saying we won't trade any pick but whoever we have will be coached up.   

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Mdizzle5 said:

Why even draft and stash? It's not like that player getting playing time is gonna hurt our odds at the finals. 

Alex's comment wasn't a suggestion.  It was a criticism of past action by Hawks GMs.

I think we have a lot of different directions we can go and should have useful players around where we pick.  Some interesting back PGs if we trade Teague, some interesting wings if we don't, options for trade, etc.  For where we are in the draft, I'd be less concerned with filling a need than picking a guy who is a real NBA player.  If there are multiple options who our scouts conclude will be good NBA players, then need can separate between them.

13 hours ago, Mdizzle5 said:

Why even draft and stash? It's not like that player getting playing time is gonna hurt our odds at the finals. 

Like @AHF already said.  It's a criticism and not a suggestion.  The Hawks haven't drafted and used a first round pick since Schröder if my memory is correct.  Based on the last few drafts the Hawks wont be using their first rounder for a player who will ever play.