SummerHawks

lethalweapon3

11 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Bite your tongue, only his hair reminds you of Childress.

This kid is as cool as a cucumber.

Lol... He was the one guy I didn't want us to draft because he reminded me of Childress. But I agree, it was just the hair, granted both are fundamentally sound players, the comparison ends right there. 

I judged a book by its cover...or in this case it's fro...:-|

Glad we drafted Bembry...kid can ball. Can't wait to see Prince today :-)

The Hawks young draft pick was being guarded by the Wizards’ Kelly Oubre Jr. at the top of the key in a Las Vegas Summer League game on Sunday. Cordinier faked right and drove to his left with force down the middle of the lane for a layup attempt. He drew a foul at the rim and crashed to the floor.

No problem.

Cordinier got up and made one of his two free-throw attempts. The play showed one thing about the 19-year-old guard. He plays hard.

“That’s the great thing about him, his competitive nature,” Hawks assistant and summer league coach Taylor Jenkins said after the Hawks’ 88-80 win. “He’s got to figure some things out, learn the intricacies of being a wing. But he doesn’t shy away from competition. The energy and the effort he brings, he’ll figure it out but we can start with that.”

The Hawks selected the 6-foot-4 Cordinier in the second round (No. 44 overall) of last month’s NBA Draft out of the French Pro B League. He will return to his native France for at least one more season. He knows the Hawks’ plan but that doesn’t mean he can’t continue to raise some eyebrows during his summer league experience.

“I know the plan is draft and stash,” Cordinier said. “I have nothing to lose here because if I play well maybe I can play in the NBA right away. Why not? I know what the plan is but I still play hard. I want to show that I’m ready. I have nothing to lose.”

The Hawks have been watching Cordinier for most last season as he played for AS Denain Voltaire. In 32 games, he averaged 10.8 points, 3.6 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 1.2 steals in 23.4 minutes. Cordinier said he knew the Hawks were interested as they made several trips to see him play and collected video from his coach. He knew there was a chance he could be drafted by the Hawks once he declared as an early entry candidate.

“Isaia is a young player who came on the radar very quickly in France, playing in Pro B,” Hawks general manager Wes Wilcox said. “Our group scouted multiple times throughout the year. His competitiveness, energy, athleticism and versatility jumped out. They became very intriguing characteristics for us.”

Cordinier had 13 pre-draft workouts for 12 teams, including the Hawks. He had two sessions with the Pelicans.

In two summer league games, Cordinier has totaled nine points on 3 of 7 shooting, including 2 of 4 from 3-point range. He also has one rebound and one steal in 29 minutes. He has shown defensive ability. The Hawks conclude their opening-round games of the league against the Nets at 4:30 p.m. Monday.

Cordinier is no stranger to Atlanta. His parents were both professional handball players. His father, Stephane, was a member of the French National team that competed in the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta.

Cordinier said he started to play handball but gave up the sport at the age of six for basketball. Just 13 years later, he is an NBA draft pick.

“My first sport was handball but for many reasons I had to stop,” Cordinier said. “My father really liked basketball and he showed me. After that, I fell in love. … Since I started playing basketball, the NBA was my dream.”

The Hawks will continue to monitor the progression of Cordinier (pronounced Ee-SIGH-uh CORE-dean-YEH) in France next season. For now, they are getting an early glimpse of his potential.

I'm loving this kids attitude and he's only 19.

The Hawks have a stable of young players to go with the vets.

Under 25 25+ 30 and Over

Dennis (22) Kent (27) Millsap (31)
THJr (24) Scott(27) Dwight (30)
Isaia (19) Moose (25) Splitter (31)
Bembry (22)   Kyle (35)
Prince (22)   Thabo (32)
Edy (24)   Jack (32)
Lamar (24)    

3 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

BTW...does it bother anyone else that Bembry's shoes are super low tops? Are they really that low or is it my eyes? Lol...

I saw that and wondered.   Don't be Jeffy with the low tops creating bum ankles, son.

Believe in three or four years everyone will give us an A for the three guys we took in this draft. Really expect some minutes pretty soon this season for Prince and Bembry. Glad we have the staff we do because I believe those two will be coached up pretty fast. Hoping so anyway.

• Like 2

• Moderators

1453172179-NS_16SMUNICHOLS7_47827848.JPG

The line of players who were not big fans of former UK and Texas Tech coach Billy Gillispie is long, and near the front of it was forward Jordan Tolbert. Coming off a freshman year where he was the leading scorer on a horrible Red Raiders team, Tolbert asserted in 2012, two months before the season tipped off, that he no longer wished to play for Gillispie. This was while the coach was under investigation for physical mistreatment of players, coaches, and even team broadcasters.

One CBS Sports report noted that after Tolbert suffered a four-inch gash across his fingers while dunking the basketball, Gillispie had the trainer bandage his injured hand and, the next day, ordered Tolbert to dunk the ball repeatedly in practice.

With Gillispie gone, Tolbert hung around Lubbock for two more seasons under Tubby Smith, then transferred to SMU just in time for Larry Brown’s swan-song season coaching the Mustangs program in 2015-16. SMU started the year 18-0, peaking at #8 in the AP poll, and went 25-5 despite being suspended from postseason play, and Tolbert led the Stangs with 8.5 RPG.

~lw3

vor 44 Minuten, Thomas sagte:

Believe in three or four years everyone will give us an A for the three guys we took in this draft. Really expect some minutes pretty soon this season for Prince and Bembry. Glad we have the staff we do because I believe those two will be coached up pretty fast. Hoping so anyway.

I really hope Bud will give Prince some chances at SF. Just like with Patterson at the beginning of last season (who obviously couln't use his chance).

Finally, thanks to the Hawks on face book, I got to watch the highlights of game #2.

At least part of our Hawks are there.  Prince will be ready today, we hope.

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

I might get a Prince jersey cuz let's face it...I'm kind of a prince already...

No reason to countdown really , you failed immediately with no delay

• Like 1

• Moderators

CcosyHQXIAAxGhV.jpg

By leaving the D-League to join German Basketball Cup winner Alba Berlin, the 2016 D-League All-Star and 2015 Pac-12 tournament player of the year, Brandon Ashley, barely missed out on having a fellow conference tourney MVP as a teammate. The Texas Legends replaced Ashley, a 6-foot-9 stretch forward from Arizona and an All-American from Nevada hoops factory Findlay Prep, one week later with the wayfaring Josh Childress, who won the Pac-12 tournament back when it was still the Pac-10, in 2004.

In Ashley's first pro season, he formed a shotblocking duo (with current SummerWizard Michael Eric) on a Texas Legend squad that was otherwise bereft of defensive acumen, averaging 14.8 PPG and 1.4 BPG in the D-League while sinking nearly 40 percent of his three-point shots. After a solid showing during the 2015 Summer League with the Hawks (10.4 PPG, 5-for-12 3FGs, 1.0 SPG), he was picked up for training camp by the Mavericks and was among the final preseason roster cuts. He spent last week in Orlando with Marquis Teague and the Mavs' Summer League team.

~lw3