• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Questions!!!

Wurider05

I am waiting to see how things come together before I pass judgement on the draft. We still have to see how this free agency thing plays out. I do have some questions though?

1. Doe anyone think that instagram stunt Jeff pulled hurt his trade value?

2. Isn't Bazemore a 2 guard not a 3?

3. Do you think that the coaching staff still see Korver as a starter?

4. What does your gut tell you about Dennis being the starter?

5. Does the coaching staff need to adjust/modify Bud's system because we don't have the talent that they have/had in San Antonio? I compare this to The Triangle offense that looks real good with Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Shaq, and Kobe running it but not the same to Affalo, Melo, and Porzingas.  Do we need a system more fitting of the talent that we have?

6. Due to having the system in place cause us to overlook talent for people who simply fit? Was this that case with the draft?

7. Do you really feel that they will spend the money to contend or they are just talking?

Again I an not passing judgement until all the smoke clears but I am interested in seeing how you all feel about some of the questions I have.

8 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

I am waiting to see how things come together before I pass judgement on the draft. We still have to see how this free agency thing plays out. I do have some questions though?

5. Does the coaching staff need to adjust/modify Bud's system because we don't have the talent that they have/had in San Antonio? I compare this to The Triangle offense that looks real good with Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Shaq, and Kobe running it but not the same to Affalo, Melo, and Porzingas.  Do we need a system more fitting of the talent that we have?

6. Due to having the system in place cause us to overlook talent for people who simply fit? Was this that case with the draft?

7. Do you really feel that they will spend the money to contend or they are just talking?

Again I an not passing judgement until all the smoke clears but I am interested in seeing how you all feel about some of the questions I have.

1. No. He's no Chris Paul but he isn't Steve Blake. What they got for him after the way he played this season was fair. If they would have traded him at the trade deadline last year, they probably would have gotten more but risk messing up the chemistry on a soon to be 60 win team.

2. I consider him a 2. 

3. Yes. He is the Hawks' offense. 

4. I think he's ATL's best option at PG if they want to go far.

5. I think the offensive system is fine but I hate when they switch and double team on defense. They don't have the size and athleticism to run that type of defense at a high level in the playoffs. MIL would be better for it.

6. I don't think so. Hawks needed guards/forwards and they got guards and forwards.

7. I think they're doing the best they can but some of the players they have as free agents are better than majority of the FA options at their positions (referring to Al and Baze). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

1. I think Teague hurt his value a bit. He came off emotional and some GMs are weary of adding that to their locker room. Not necessarily a head case tho.

2. Bazemore is a 2 guard that mainly defended 1s and 2s. Last year he played out of position hence the reason it wasn't a seamless transition from demarre. Im slowly warming up to the idea of bringing him back at the 2.

3. Hopefully they aren't content with him. But he did have the 3rd highest +/- in the east so he should remain a regular season cog. We just better have a legit 2 at least on bazemore level starting.

4. Dennis had nights where he would get 24 and 8 in 20 minutes. He has the fire Lowry and most elite pgs display. I'm ready to go to war with him because he is going to go out swinging EVERY night especially in the big moments. Certainly he will get shots off in crunch time and won't let the clock run out. 

5. I think the fit wasn't there on the wing last season. The draft shows we know what we need to add. Sounds like we are going to be aggressive in free agency. That's encouraging.

6. No. There wasn't a home run guy we missed at 12. There isnt a guy we can realistically acquire that can beat bron single handedly including durant. We need a good versatile starting lineup and great depth like gsw, okc, cleveland. 

7. Ressler sounded ready to break bread on 92.9 the other night. Money won't be an issue

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

1.  Jeff value was concrete.  If anything the Instagram post should make people feel better about him.  There may have been a drop in value due to just taking stuff to social media (at his age) but nothing on the court. 

2.  Baze should be a 2.   He can guard the 3 but with our undersized frontcourt, we need a big 3. 

3.  Korver never got his shot back.  Moreover, Korver needs space to get his shot off. 

4.  Dennis will be shaky as a starter.   In most sports the backup always looks good.   Becoming a starter adds more pressure.   The real question is will we stick to Budball with Dennis as PG or will we do some sandlot stuff. 

5.  I think the assistants will make a difference.   However, Bud's offense is dependent on shooters.   Bud is a little more liberal with the 3 pt shooting than San Antonio.  Popp hates 3 pointers.   So with Bud being coach, we're really getting Budball and not SpursEast. 

6.  You always take fit over talent unless you're willing to build around that talent.   Monta Ellis is very talented, but he would never fit here. 

7.  Just talking.   We don't know our owners yet, but they seem to  be more investors than fanatics. 

1. Maybe

2. Undersized second-string 3

3. I would hope not, but probably do.

4. Not a fan.  His ideal role for a contender is backup IMO.  His defensive metrics are underwhelming, jumper is broke, and he can't see atop the defense.

5. The system is great

6. I thick they evaluate raw characteristics and personality without too much emphasis on how they'll fit.  The system was in place before acquiring Junk and Baze: two guys who couldn't pass or shoot before arriving.  Baze still can't.  Hump's playing time during the playoffs suggests Bud wasn't even totally on board with his signing and fit.  This regime was looking hard at Jennings and Monta both in the same summer for God's Sake after a wasted year from Lou.  They're all anti-fit.

7. I heard Ressler stammer through some quote on 92.9 to the effect of "whatever we do, it won't be for lack of trying."  Okay.

I have no reason to believe the ownership group is in it for anything other than making a few dollars.

Edited by benhillboy

15 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

1. No

2. He's a NBA SG,  he is not good at either in his NBA career so far but he has room to grow.

3. No but he's a valued piece and our best +/- player. 

4. He could be a star or disappointing but it is all up to Dennis.

5. The offense struggle due to Bazemore not figuring out his role yet but he's improving and he getting better. Overall, the system isn't just offense or defense, it is the entire process.

6. Of course but the talent that fits can become much better for us than others. For example, who knows how good Prince could be in our system by year 4? Same for Bembry.

7. They got several guys they are targeting and they feel they can land them. 

15 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

1. Maybe, he came across a little disgruntled but I'll say I don't think it mattered much. I think his play this year compared to last year when you expect more consistency arter year 3 kept his stcok where it was.

2. Yes, he would be the perfect backup 2 guard, with spot backup SF minutes.

3. Yes, he had a rough season by his standard coming off 2 surgeries and no offseason training. He'll have his offseason training be he'll also be a year older, but unless someone shows they can give even half of  what Kyle, I can still see Bud rolling with him.

4. Dennis will take his lumps but I think he's ready. 

5. We don't have great players, so the system works best ehen everyone contibutes.

6.  I don't know enough about the draftees to say this guy is better. From what i understand the talent drop off from the 1st 5 or so guys and the rest of the field was significant, after that no clear game changers.

7. We'll know soon enough.

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, MrYellow said:

Discussing about who is the two or who is the 3 in today's basketball is pointless: the only concern is who can guard a certain size or another.

This has always been true.  You are what you can guard. 

Like I mentioned. Base can guard the three but because we have such a small frontcourt, we need more rebounds from the 3 so getting a bigger 3 is something that would be better for us. 

1.  I think it hurt a little.  It just wasn't a smart thing to say publicly.  At the same time, I can understand that he was frustrated.

2.  I'm actually not sure if Baze is a 2 or a 3.  He's a bit of a tweener in that respect.  I'd have to see him with more minutes at the 2 before deciding.

3.  Yes.  For one more year at least.  Then I think Korver falls into the 6th man role off the bench.

4.  Dennis is going to be a star in this league.  He's going to help put the Hawks on the map.

5.  Great coaches know how to get the best out of their players.  Bud certainly has preferences but makes adjustments based on the strengths and weakness of the players on the team.  I never understood the arguments about "Bud-ball" and having a system that, for example; requires a center who can shoot.  I don't think that's true at all.  Bud has worked successfully with Duncan, who obviously isn't known for his range.  Whatever talent we have, Bud will adjust the system to match.

6.  I think we look at what we have and try to find talent to cover weaknesses or fill a need.

7.  We will spend money given the correct opportunity, but we won't overpay for mediocre talent.

On June 25, 2016 at 6:57 AM, MrYellow said:

Discussing about who is the two or who is the 3 in today's basketball is pointless: the only concern is who can guard a certain size or another.

I agree that's arguably most important, but my 2 better be able to initiate the offense and my 3 should help out on the glass whenever necessary.  I'm not satisfied on any of those fronts besides Thabo and Kyle's rebounding.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators

1. Does anyone think that instagram stunt Jeff pulled hurt his trade value?

It didn't help but we have been trying to trade Jeff for long enough that you have to question where the market valued him even before that stunt.  Only Budcox knows the answer to this.  I will say I doubt it was a big factor.

Absolutely.  Our team last year was almost all SGs.  Some of them could step up and overcome their size issues to guard SFs but the fact that we did so was less about that being a good use of their talents and more about lack of other options.

Probably, but I think our offseason will speak to that.  If management feels a need to get someone to start at SG, we'll see them chase some talent there.  I think management viewed Kyle as the only guy they trusted at SG.  I don't know how much more clear they could have made that than benching THJr, Patterson, etc. during a Cleveland series in which Kyle was completely neutralized.  Even completely neutralized they still trusted him more than the others.  Lack of options drove that.

While I disagree with D on some of this, I'll agree with him on this:  even if Dennis works out great as a starter we are likely to take a step back at the position because Teague and Dennis were a strong combo.  Both had inconsistency issues last season and so we could play the hot hand to some extent.  I don't expect we'll have that same flexibility next year.  I am excited to see Dennis grow this season.

I think they have tweaked our system and been less rigid than some of the Triangle guys.  If we had Duncan, you'd see us running different action than we do with Horford and Sap.  I don't think Bud and his assistants are slaves to one exact formula.

I think we have just screwed the pooch with some of our picks.  It wasn't about finding fit so much as just missing the target.  With this draft, we had a screaming need for wings and I think the need for wings may have been a higher priority than BPA.   We probably picked for perceived fit and perceived talent among the available wings.

The proof will be in the pudding.  I'm just glad I don't think any of our owners are actively working to backstab each other or pull some power play at this point.