• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Bud & Staff player development program

JTB

3 minutes ago, JTB said:

One thing that really bugs me when talking to other hawk fans is that we fail to acknowledge Bud & staffs player development program. We all seem to want to be experts when it comes to how high someone's ceiling is but year after year bud & staff has proven to be one of the best developing coaching staffs in the NBA today.

Many thought last off season that Bazemore wouldn't grow but man did he prove his doubters wrong. Not only has he grown but he played so well we have yet another wing free agent other teams want to steal from us!

If anything we as hawk fans have to give bud and staff big time credit in this area. DMC and Bazemore seem to get the most acknowledgement for players that has developed into better players under bud but honestly the list is longer....Teague, Scott, Sap, Dennis, and even Horford has become better players. 

One thing this new ATL ownership and staff as a whole is doing right and way better than what the Woodson and Drew era didn't do is developing....PERIOD.

you can clown bud all you want .....but he's making his mark on these guys and turning them into real basketball players. I personally don't believe any of our young guys have hit their ceiling. Sap and maybe Horford is a different story ....they have the skills just need to bring it to the playoffs more consistently which is all on them.

P.S.

im really sick of seeing bud and staff put all their energy into developing players and we not retaining them. Happened only once but one time is too much. I'm glad Bazemore is priority to resign...dude ain't done growing in my opinion 

I have to agreed with this statement, 1000%

One thing that many teams in the NBA is very jealous about us is our player development program, the way you can tell is how many NBA teams has been poaching our staff and that is a achievement in my eyes.

That is the reason why I hope this ownership can come up with their own D-League team, so they can have their own farm system to homegrown this talent.

100% agree @JTB. This is why I would like to see the Hawks take a risk on a player that has been a victim of poor player development, but actually has legitimate star talent.

If we can do this with Baze & Carol  what could they do with a Rudy Gay ,Tyreke  Evans or a Jeff Green?

Speaking  of Tyreke what would it take to get him from New Orleans? Splitter's salary works for a trade, but would they want more? We need a backup point guard and Evans could fill that role for  us and be sort of a 6th man. He can backup 1, 2 & 3  adding to our versatility. 

New Orleans does the trade because they need a center to allow Anthony Davis  to play PF full time. Between Splitter  and Asik  they'll have one healthy center while the other is injured. 

Edited by ATLien_
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

100% agree @JTB. This is why I would like to see the Hawks take a risk on a player that has been a victim of poor player development, but actually has legitimate star talent. If we can do this with Baze & Carol  what could they do with a Rudy Gay ,Tyreke  Evans or a Jeff Green?

In my most hopeful scenario we are already doing that with THJ for very little money and still ended up with two second rounders as well. A really good player development staff is very, very nice to have. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JTB said:

One thing that really bugs me when talking to other hawk fans is that we fail to acknowledge Bud & staffs player development program. We all seem to want to be experts when it comes to how high someone's ceiling is but year after year bud & staff has proven to be one of the best developing coaching staffs in the NBA today.

Many thought last off season that Bazemore wouldn't grow but man did he prove his doubters wrong. Not only has he grown but he played so well we have yet another wing free agent other teams want to steal from us!

If anything we as hawk fans have to give bud and staff big time credit in this area. DMC and Bazemore seem to get the most acknowledgement for players that has developed into better players under bud but honestly the list is longer....Teague, Scott, Sap, Dennis, and even Horford has become better players. 

One thing this new ATL ownership and staff as a whole is doing right and way better than what the Woodson and Drew era didn't do is developing....PERIOD.

you can clown bud all you want .....but he's making his mark on these guys and turning them into real basketball players. I personally don't believe any of our young guys have hit their ceiling. Sap and maybe Horford is a different story ....they have the skills just need to bring it to the playoffs more consistently which is all on them.

P.S.

im really sick of seeing bud and staff put all their energy into developing players and we not retaining them. Happened only once but one time is too much. I'm glad Bazemore is priority to resign...dude ain't done growing in my opinion 

Props to Bud in developing Teague, Carroll, Scott and Baze. Millsap was already great. I remember he used to light it up in Utah, even from the 3 point line. Horford seems like the same guy, besides adding a 3 point shot.

It's alarming to me he can't seem to develop bigs. Muscula looked good towards the end of the 2014-15 season. I don't know what happened with him this season. He pulled the plug quick on Payne and Bebe. Tavares need some PT. Makes me wonder as Millsap and Horford go into their 30s, what's the future looking like. I thought Scott would have been potential starter after the 2013-14 season but they keep him on a short leash. Trading for a big isn't looking well, seeing how Splitter is doing.

• Like 1

I don't think Bud and Staff has gotten any shortage of credit here in terms of player development.  He did win COTY with one of the lowest league payrolls.  I'd never heard of Junk before he got here.  He became the glue of a 60 win team in 2 seasons and drug them through a sluggish first round series versus Brooklyn all because Bud believed and heavily invested in him. 

Its just like you're implying he's above criticism.  I love the guy but he damn sure is not.

Bud needs only one player with All-Star talent and no glaring holes or physical disadvantages.  A guy who should win his matchup 90% of the time off talent and effort.  Sap's and Jeff's probability to win their matchup nightly was around 70-75% just off my dumb guesstimation.  High, but not high enough.  I still don't know what position Al played this year so his matchups changed night to night.

He's turned marginal 3s into good to very good starters.  A good player into arguably the most versatile 4 going.  With fortunate team health a player like Jimmy Butler could lead the Hawks back to the 60 win plateau as a Top 5 MVP candidate and a much tougher later postseason out if Bud got hold of him.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BigDog90 said:

It's alarming to me he can't seem to develop bigs. Muscula looked good towards the end of the 2014-15 season. I don't know what happened with him this season. He pulled the plug quick on Payne and Bebe. Tavares need some PT. Makes me wonder as Millsap and Horford go into their 30s, what's the future looking like. I thought Scott would have been potential starter after the 2013-14 season but they keep him on a short leash. Trading for a big isn't looking well, seeing how Splitter is doing.

A lot of us have been wondering why Moose's body right now is identical to how muscular it was when he entered the league. PFs in the NBA have to hit the weight room or risk disappearing from a roster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

A lot of us have been wondering why Moose's body right now is identical to how muscular it was when he entered the league. PFs in the NBA have to hit the weight room or risk disappearing from a roster.

Yeah, I really thought Muscula had potential. 

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

Mike has a narrow frame.

8 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

Right off the bat he showed he can hit those short jumpers but he just never developed his body or his game and he has had a good bit of time now. Right now his ceiling is a third string power forward. Thought it would have been different the way Ferry initially talked about him.   

Our system reminds me a little bit of the Braves in the 90's except they did a little bit better job keeping players (except to the Yankees but that's tough for any team with the money they were willing to spend).

We have a great development program, now we just need to do a better job attracting other players and keeping those that we groom!  I'm hoping it's just a matter of time.

2 hours ago, Thomas said:
11 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

Right off the bat he showed he can hit those short jumpers but he just never developed his body or his game and he has had a good bit of time now. Right now his ceiling is a third string power forward. Thought it would have been different the way Ferry initially talked about him.   

Muscala ain't too Muscula(r).

• Like 1

Moosewas atrocious in SL last year, i was so dissapointed. 

He seriously need some added strengrh. So many times he gets his fingers on a rebound but gets bumped easily off the spot.

32 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Moosewas atrocious in SL last year, i was so dissapointed. 

He seriously need some added strengrh. So many times he gets his fingers on a rebound but gets bumped easily off the spot.

I'm not sure it's all about lack of strength with Moose.  His movement is also a little stiff.  He needs to work on flexibility and/or run movement drills.

I love his attitude though.

7 hours ago, Thomas said:

Yeah, me too. I figured he wouldn't be the most physical player but he'd be very smart and use it to his advantage. He got the offense/defense down way quicker than Payne and Hardaway despite being in the league less than them.

On 6/26/2016 at 1:52 PM, JTB said:

P.S.

Same for THJr :Timmy:

• Like 1

Agreed. Might sound somewhat crazy at the moment but I think our staff and Korver can mould THJ into a SG that sees twenty five plus minutes every game for many seasons not just the one under contract. Our staff seems pretty outstanding doing what they have done with what they have worked with. Great coaching truly does win games on its own merit with or without that elusive superstar and "without" is definitely where we're at, at this point.

• Like 1