• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Dennis as our starter (stats)

A new season in a new role, a lot more coaching and another offseason of working on his body and game hopefully will make last year's stats pale in comparison to this upcoming season and especially the ones beyond. He's still young, coachable and tenacious on defense so I'm expecting him to be very good for us by the time we hit the playoffs.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Thomas said:

A new season in a new role, a lot more coaching and another offseason of working on his body and game hopefully will make last year's stats pale in comparison to this upcoming season and especially the ones beyond. He's still young, coachable and tenacious on defense so I'm expecting him to be very good for us by the time we hit the playoffs.  

Yea defense is the key.   Improved perimeter D will mean a lot and all those high glass layups that he throws up will get slammed home by Dwight.   

• Like 1

After Long Journey, Schröder Rewarded With Starting Role

The Atlanta Hawks will soon take the keys to the car and hand them over toDennis Schröder

In July, the Hawks sent out longtime starting point guard Jeff Teague in a three-team trade that landed promising rookie Taurean Prince. Schröder, who has started 16 of his 206 NBA career games, is now poised to become a full-time starter for the first time since he entered the NBA.

In fact, despite being just 22 years old, Schröder holds the third-longest tenure on the Hawks. The only two Hawks who have been around longer are Mike Scott and Kyle Korver, both of whom arrived a season before.

To stretch the analogy a bit, it's probably fair to say that Schröder has ridden in the car before and, at times, even sat in the front seat. In his three seasons with the Hawks, his minutes have climbed from 641 to 1516 to 1621 as he developed into one of Atlanta's most important bench players. 

Schröder wanted a chance to drive, though, as any young player would. Think about it this way: No ambitious person enters the workplace, starts their first job and says, "Yep. This is it. I never want to get promoted. Please let me continue to play this auxiliary role forever."

And so it was for Schröder.  He was careful to couch the notion in respectful terms, noting in his end-of-season interview that he would patiently wait his turn while trying to improve.

"In the future, I want to be a starting point guard, that's for sure," he said. "Everybody knows it. In the situation (that) I was (in) this year, I was fine with it. I played my minutes, and I just tried to get better. When the coaching staff and everybody decides that I get the team, then I'm going to be ready for it."

The Hawks made the move. The Driver's Ed course is over and Dennis Schröder has the steering wheel in his hands.

A long path of preparation

The funny thing about being a wunderkind in a team sport is that it can sometimes be tough to take the reins of a team. For most of Schröder's pro career, he has "played up a level", so to speak, using his elevated skills to keep up with older, savvier players. Being the youngest player on the team doesn't lend itself to immense leadership opportunities. 

For instance, before being drafted by the Hawks, Schröder played a pivotal role for the New Yorker Phantoms Braunschweig in the 2012-13 season. He made the leap that teenaged prodigies sometimes make, jumping up from a lower division to lead the Phantoms in both points and assists in his one full season there. Even in that situation, the 18-year-old couldn't have reasonably called the Phantoms his team in the manner in which basketball fanatics use such pronouns. According to the head coach of the German national team, Chris Fleming, Schröder had help directing that team.

"He was probably their best player, but they had other guys who led. He was a very young kid," Fleming said in an interview in March.

Schröder's strong performance with Braunschweig led the Hawks to pick him with the #17 pick in the 2013 Draft. There were early hints that he was special, such as when he scored a game-high 21 points in a 2013 preseason game against fellow countryman Dirk Nowitzki and the Mavericks. On the other hand, those glimpses came sporadically enough to show that he needed time to develop. He ended that preseason with averages of 3.4 assists and 3.8 turnovers per game. He made 2 of 15 three-point attempts.

Schröder wasn't yet ready for heavy rotation minutes – a perfectly normal predicament for a young player, even if it momentarily confirmed the suspicions of those who doubted him when he left the German Basketball Bundesliga.

"When he left Germany," Fleming said, "there were a lot of people who said, 'No way. Dennis Schröder? No way.'"

In addition to the other challenges, Schröder had two adjustments to make: First, he had to adapt to life in a foreign country. Second, he had to learn how to respond to a head coach, Mike Budenholzer, who pushed him beyond the things he thought he was capable of.

"My first year was really hard," Schröder said. "He was really hard on me. He didn't even talk to me like that. But I knew why he was doing it."

The far end of the bench was a lonely place for a teen 4,000 miles from home. Schröder found a friend and role model in a slightly older teammate.

"It's tough coming from another country," said Phoenix Suns guard John Jenkins, who played with Schröder on the Hawks from 2013 to 2015. "When he first got here, he was going through some tough times. I had just had my back surgery, so I was going through some tough times as well. We were going through it together. I saw a kid that had a lot of potential and was really hungry to learn and to work hard. I put my arm around him and taught him as much as I could, you know, being a young guy myself."

The bond between Jenkins and Schröder grew. They started eating dinners together every night on the road, and soon the shared off-the-court time spilled over to Atlanta. When Jenkins got married this summer, Schröder was there to support his friend.

By the start of his second season, Schröder was ready for a bigger role. Two weeks into the regular season, he assumed the job of backup point guard – a role he would never relinquish – in a loss to Charlotte. The Hawks went on to win 39 of their next 44 games. As Atlanta hummed along nicely, Schröder quietly soaked up lessons like a sponge.

"He learned a lot just by watching people and listening to people," Jenkins said. "He's a great student of the game."

Schröder averaged 10.0 points and 4.1 assists despite playing fewer than 20 minutes per game. Perhaps more importantly, his assist rate was up, his turnover rate was down, and he was constantly improving on defense. 

"He's an unbelievably confident kid,” Fleming said. "His belief in himself, coupled with his work ethic and the work that the Hawks have done with him, has been huge in helping him develop. His confidence is, for sure, one of his biggest assets."

There's a fine line between confidence and cockiness, and Fleming puts him squarely on the good side of it.

"His bravado comes off as a very hard shell," Fleming added, "but when you get to know Dennis Schröder,  the person, you find out he's a great kid. He's got some different sides to him that you maybe don't see when you watch him play on the court." 

Some stats

The Hawks have an adjustment to make as they incorporate Schröder and Dwight Howard into the starting lineup. Will the twosome fit well together? Will they mesh seamlessly with the other starters? It is obviously tough to say for sure, but some clues may lie in how Schröder played with his teammates last season.

Howard comes to Atlanta with a reputation for being able to put pressure on the rim. When he sets the screen for Schröder in the pick and roll, defenses need to respect the threat of him scoring as a roll man. But this time a year ago, the same things were being said of Tiago Splitter. Therefore, in looking for perspective on how things may shake out this season, it's reasonable to ask, 'How did Schröder fare when playing with Splitter last season?'

Here's a list of players with whom Schröder played 200 or more minutes in the 2015-16 season. The Hawks outscored their opponents with each and every two-man combination in the list, but the ones near the top were especially effective. Lineups that included the combination of Schröder and Splitter outscored their opponents by 17.7 points per 100 possessions.

image1.png

Obviously, this analogy isn't perfect. Splitter is a better passer, Howard is more able to make plays over the top of a defense, and most importantly, Schröder-Howard will be facing starters instead of the bench players that the pairing of Schröder and Splitter faced. The numbers do, however, alleviate some of the concerns about having Schröder play offense with a center who stays in the paint.

A bigger concern with regard to the offense is how Schröder himself will fare with his jump shot. In the 2014-15 season, he found his stroke in January at the exact same time that the Hawks took off into the stratosphere. And in 2015-16, the performance of the Hawks with Schröder on the court (net rating per 100 possessions) strongly correlated with the percentage of shots Schröder made from the perimeter.

image2.png

Schröder has to make jumpers to coerce defenses into chasing him over the top of pick and rolls, instead of sitting back and playing under them. His speed and ability to use the rim are most advantageous when defenders have to defend him closely instead of retreating and waiting for him to come to them.

In past seasons, Schröder spent extensive time working with Hawks assistant coaches, including current Nets head coach Kenny Atkinson, on the countertactics used to penalize defenses that play under picks, such as using a screen more than once. But nothing will keep defenses as honest as just being able to make a jump shot when it is conceded. His ability to knock down those shots will be a key to the Hawks’ offensive threat.

Headed into this summer, Schröder said that his biggest priority was to work on his jump shot, and in recent weeks he has spent time with Hawks staff doing exactly that.

Playing and not playing for the German national team

Schröder had originally made plans this summer to help the men's German national basketball team compete in Eurobasket 2017 qualification, which begins a week from now. However, the team later announced via Twitter that Schröder would not participate in the qualification tourney. (Schröder was quoted in one tweet as saying that the 2020 Olympics were still in his sights.)

Despite his absence this summer, Schröder still has positive takeaways from his time playing from Germany.

"It helped me a lot the last two years," Schröder said. "I made a step every year. I think it's just great to compete against different types of players. I think it helps me keep being a leader and keep being better – off and on the court."

It's that last part that is most intriguing. In the sum total of all Schröder's top-level basketball experience, there isn't a clearer instance of him taking the reins of a team than Eurobasket 2015 – even with all-time German basketball star Nowitzki in the fold.

"I think the last two summers were good for him in terms of being a lead guy," Fleming said about the player he coached in the event. "That's an important rule for him to play. I thought he had an excellent tournament."

The German offense ran distinctly through Schröder's hands, and he averaged 21.0 points and 6.0 assists per game to lead the team on both counts. At times, Germany struggled, as Schröder, Nowitzki, and most everyone else associated with the team struggled with their outside shots. That's the sort of thing that can happen in a short tourney that spans just a handful of games.

The lack of shooting hurt the Germans even more critically because FIBA's rules, unlike the NBA's, do not have a provision to prevent paint-packing zone defenses. Without the long-range shooting to combat it, opponents retreated and made a lot of traffic for Schröder near the basket.

Despite the tactic, Schröder thrived.

"He had less room to work. He did a great job adjusting to it," Fleming said. "On the flip side of it, there was probably less athleticism in front of him as he operated in less space. It probably balances. But I thought he did a good job jumping from NBA to FIBA rules."

Germany went 1-3 at Eurobasket in their first four games, but entered the fifth and final game of group play with a chance to advance. If they beat Spain, led by Pau Gasol and Nikola Mirotic, Germany would advance to the next stage. If they lost, they would be eliminated (and their best chance at Olympic qualification would be lost too).

Nearing the end of a hard-fought, intense game, Spain led by seven points with a minute left. Then Schröder went to work. He drove and assisted Nowitzki on a three. On the next possession, he pushed the ball in transition, spun around a defender, and found teammate Maodo Lo for another three. 

Ahead by three points with around ten seconds left, Spain deliberately fouled Schröder, who made both free throws. By the time Germany fouled to get the ball back, they trailed by three points with 7.9 seconds left. Schröder dribbled the length of the court (with a defender yanking his jersey for a large part of it), sensed the defender fouling and rose to shoot and draw three free throws.

Schröder made the first two and missed the third. Spain won, Germany went home.

Even in defeat, Schröder played like a dynamo. Zooming all over the floor, he tallied 11 points, 3 assists and 4 rebounds in the fourth quarter alone. 

Fast forward a year and a month, and the Hawks will, like Germany, take the key to the team and put it in Schröder's hand. They will need him to defend. They will want him to drive to the hoop for bunches of buckets and set up his teammates for their scoring chances too.

But most importantly, they need him to lead. They need him to play with a headiness that belies his age and a selflessness that harmonizes with his older teammates. They need him to set an example for the rookies that inspires a work ethic and a drive to succeed.

In three NBA seasons, Schröder has shown age-appropriate doses of all of these qualities, accelerating in skill and maturity each year. For the Hawks to make the best of their 2016-17 season, he will have to do it all over again and shift up one more gear. 

Story by KL Chouinard
Twitter:  @KLChouinard

http://www.nba.com/hawks/features/after-long-journey-Schröder-rewarded-starting-role?cid=16features_social_090216_twitter_schroderstartingstory

3 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

14 PPG

6.0 APG

1.3 SPG

41% FG

That would be a nice season, but I'm just slightly more optimistic:

16ppg (aggression)

7apg (D8 will just be sitting there waiting for the dish/kickout/lob)

1.5spg (aggression)

41%fg (agreed)

On 9/3/2016 at 1:02 AM, hazer said:

That would be a nice season, but I'm just slightly more optimistic:

16ppg (aggression)

7apg (D8 will just be sitting there waiting for the dish/kickout/lob)

1.5spg (aggression)

41%fg (agreed)

Perhaps he will score more than I'm thinking. Howard alone isn't going to make up for losing Teague and Horford both.

I think Hardaway Jr and/or some of the rookies are going to have to step their game up. Bazemore also needs to shoot better from the outside.

• Like 1

Agreed. THJr has to step up in his 2nd year here or ship out. And I'm a big fan, so I'm hoping for the progression. And Blaze just needs to keep growing at the same rate he has and we'll be in good shape.

Dennis loses dribbling contest (2 balls, as much dribblings as possible in 60sec) vs 14 yrs old boy 386-495
I don't know whether the clip is available outside Germany

http://www.daserste.de/unterhaltung/show/shows-im-ersten/videos/dribbel-duell-aleks-tritt-gegen-dennis-Schröder-an-100.html

off-season (after FAncy) is that boring - I need some real balling to watch and discuss about again... nearly two more month until regular season...

Edited by rd79

• Moderators
1 hour ago, rd79 said:

Dennis loses dribbling contest (2 balls, as much dribblings as possible in 60sec) vs 14 yrs old boy 386-495
I don't know whether the clip is available outside Germany

http://www.daserste.de/unterhaltung/show/shows-im-ersten/videos/dribbel-duell-aleks-tritt-gegen-dennis-Schröder-an-100.html

off-season (after FAncy) is that boring - I need some real balling to watch and discuss about again... nearly two more month until regular season...

That 14 year old has to be a ton closer to the ground.  Shorter distance, more bounces.

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

Saw this on fb....I'm starting to think you do have fb jb :-)

I do but it's under my real name. :tongue:.

I didn't get it from facebook though but from Hawks twitter feed and no I'm still not on the tweety thing.

Schröder era about to begin for Hawks

Dennis Schröder, you’re up.

For the first time in five years, the Hawks will open training camp with a new starting point guard. Schröder takes over the position after the team obliged the trade request of Jeff Teague and sent the five-year starter to the Pacers. The 28-year old spent seven seasons in a Hawks uniform and was an all-star in 2015 after being selected with the 19th overall pick in 2009. Schröder enters his fourth NBA season after the Hawks took the German speedster with the 17th overall pick in 2013.

The new era begins in less than two weeks when the Hawks open camp on Sept. 26.

It was Schröder, and not Teague, that coach Mike Budenholzer turned to down the stretch in Games 1 and 4 of the Hawks’ Eastern Conference semifinal series loss to the Cavaliers last season. The move was made several other times during the regular season.

Hawks management supports the promotion of Schröder, who turns just 23-years old on Thursday. Still, the move will be a scrutinized as the young player has been inconsistent at times and his brash attitude has been an issue for teammates and opponents on occasion.

“Dennis has an incredible talent,” veteran Thabo Sefolosha told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently. “He’s going to be great. He’s going to be the point guard. It’s going to be tough. I think we are all going to help him. I think it’s a tough position to be so young and to have so much on your shoulders. I think it’s going to be on all of us to help him.”

Schröder averaged a career-high 20.3 minutes in 80 games last season. He had career-bests in points (11.0), assists (4.4), rebounds (2.6), steals (0.9) and turnovers (2.3). Schröder’s shooting percentages were down slightly last season to 42.1 percent overall and 32.2 percent from 3-point range. He will get increased minutes as the starter and will be counted on to run the Hawks’ ball-movement offense and incorporate a more traditional center in Dwight Howard into the unit.

“In the game, there won’t be a lot of difference because I give everything,” Schröder told the AJC earlier this summer after the trade of Teague was made. “That’s what I do if I’m playing 20 minutes or 35 minutes. I think the leadership off the court, to build chemistry with the team, try to be around the coaching staff, coach Bud and everybody, and try to build relationships with everybody.”

Schröder also figures to help the Hawks defensively with his ball-pressure and menacing style of play.

The Hawks have another noteworthy situation involving Schröder. He is scheduled to make $2,708,582 this season and is eligible for a rookie contract extension. The Hawks could make Schröder a qualifying offer for next season in 2017-18. It will likely be around $4.5 million if he keeps his starter criteria and will make him a restricted free agent.

The deadline for a rookie extension is Oct. 31. The team would unlikely to do an extension until late in the month. Injury during training camp and the preseason is a consideration. The case of the Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is a cautionary tale. The Hornets signed the 2012 second overall pick to a four-year, $52 million rookie extension last August. He suffered a right shoulder injury in the preseason and missed much of the year. When Kidd-Gilchrist did return in February, he played seven games before re-injuring the same shoulder that required season-ending surgery.

The Hawks will also consider the future salary cap in making a decision on Schröder. If he is not signed to an extension, Schröder would have a salary cap hold of approximately $7 million for 2017-18. With that flexibility, the Hawks could have enough cap space to sign another max player next summer.

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/basketball/Schröder-era-about-to-begin-for-hawks/nsXX4/?icmp=myajc_internallink_megamenu_link

20 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It was Schröder, and not Teague, that coach Mike Budenholzer turned to down the stretch in Games 1 and 4 of the Hawks’ Eastern Conference semifinal series loss to the Cavaliers last season. The move was made several other times during the regular season.

A journalist actually paying attention to info that carries weight with our point guard situation instead of the constantly repeated statement we've made a high risk mistake with the Jeff Teague move. Nice to see.

• 8 months later...
On 6/28/2016 at 4:28 AM, Spud2Nique said:

Now that Dennis will be our starting point guard, what kind of stats do you expect from him. Personally I'm gonna go with:

33 mpg

17.3 ppg

7.7 apg

3.7 rpg

2.1 spg

0.3 bpg 

45% FG 

84% FT

36% 3pt

2.9  turnovers

I got pretty close..:-) Did anyone beat me? If so, check your post and claim your prize!

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/schrode01.html

On 6/28/2016 at 10:25 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

29.5  mpg (He'll be just shy of 30 mpg depending on our backups)

16.2 ppg

7.1 apg

3.7 rpg

2.2 spg

0.3 bpg 

46% FG 

85% FT  (He needs to improve this)

34% 3pt

2.7  turnovers  (He'll be playing with better players so hopefully they'll be ready for his passes - he needs to fix that bounce pass at the knees)

Are you closer than me @JayBirdHawk? It's close lol...you nailed his ft% I think.