• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

RIP Pat Summitt

Gray Mule

• Premium Member

RIP.

I always wanted to see what she could do coaching a men's team.  I betcha she could deliver.  Her legacy will live long.  I still would like to see a talented woman coach step up.   I hope somebody will give Becky Hammon a chance.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

RIP.

I always wanted to see what she could do coaching a men's team.  I betcha she could deliver.  Her legacy will live long.  I still would like to see a talented woman coach step up.   I hope somebody will give Becky Hammon a chance.

They considered that for a very long minute after watching the Lady Vols hang up banners while the men's team was losing to small colleges and high school squads, especially during those lean Wade Houston, Kevin O'Neill, and Buzz Peterson days. When Allan Houston was the only reason to watch the men's team back then, that tells you everything you need to know...

2 hours ago, Dejay said:

A great coach and even greater person. Got the privilege to have met her while in college and she was always cordial and kind. I also sat in some of their practices, where her Lady Vols would go up against the guys on campus who tried to walk on the men's team; talk about some knockdown, drag out basketball. The only thing missing was an elimination chamber or a steel cage surrounding the court. 

And speaking of scary, that stare she'd give when she's not pleased with you could crack a glacier open. It was if she could pierce into your soul, find what's lacking, and instantly call you out on it. But a second later, she'd give you all of the encouragement to help you get where you need to go. 

The UT community owes her a debt that cannot be repaid. So does women's sports, to be honest...

I did the same while at UT.  Saw a little bit of one of those practices.  I believe she was the one who pioneered women practicing against men.  

Never got to meet her, but she was easily one of the most respected people on that campus when I was there in the early/mid 90s.  I definitely went to more Lady Vols games when I was there, than the mens team.

On the old Hawksquawk forms where you could have a signature, my quote was from her.

OFFENSE sells TICKETS .... DEFENSE wins GAMES .... REBOUNDING wins CHAMPIONSHIPS!

RIP Pat.

The University of Tennessee .. the state of Tennessee .. and the entire country will honor you today in your passing.

Give that death stare to the devil, before you go to Heaven.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I did the same while at UT.  Saw a little bit of one of those practices.  I believe she was the one who pioneered women practicing against men.  

Never got to meet her, but she was easily one of the most respected people on that campus when I was there in the early/mid 90s.  I definitely went to more Lady Vols games when I was there, than the mens team.

On the old Hawksquawk forms where you could have a signature, my quote was from her.

OFFENSE sells TICKETS .... DEFENSE wins GAMES .... REBOUNDING wins CHAMPIONSHIPS!

RIP Pat.

The University of Tennessee .. the state of Tennessee .. and the entire country will honor you today in your passing.

Give that death stare to the devil, before you go to Heaven.

Me too. The men's team when we were there during the Allan Houston days were gawd awful. We would've killed for just mediocre back then...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dejay said:

Me too. The men's team when we were there during the Allan Houston days were gawd awful. We would've killed for just mediocre back then...

Wasn't Houston's dad the men's coach back then?

17 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Wasn't Houston's dad the men's coach back then?

Yep. If I'm not mistaken, he was an assistant at Louisville and replaced Don DeVoe. He was the first black head basketball coach in SEC history but in all due respect, was in over his head...

• Premium Member

One of the best basketball coaches of either gender of all time. I truly wanted her to coach men's basketball or even at the NBA level to show just how great she was. Memory eternal to a true icon of sports.

• Like 2

She seemed pretty damn gangster in a Southern Belle Matriarch kinda way.  Anyone who lives by this adage is cool with me:

On June 28, 2016 at 0:47 PM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

imagegif

RIP Pat.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

RIP Pat...Alz is BRUTAL...worse than most cancers.  There is no cure at all right now and - well to be honest - if I am ever diagnosed with it I will be thinking about an "early out" before my mind goes.  I have had a couple folks I knew who had it and it just sucks.