• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Meeting With Dwight

Misha Owens

3 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I imagine a lot of the conversations with the Hawks today are revolving around trying to convince all three of Howard, Horf, and Baze into taking some kind of discount in order to put a championship level team together - at least on some short-term 1+1 deals to try and get all 3 under the cap this year.  With promises of pay increases next year once the cap goes up again.

If one of those three balks, then we'll have a new dilemna on our hands.

Lmao how Baze is casually inserted there. Do not kid yourself , he is easily replaced and I highly doubt Howards decision has anything to do with him

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I imagine a lot of the conversations with the Hawks today are revolving around trying to convince all three of Howard, Horf, and Baze into taking some kind of discount in order to put a championship level team together - at least on some short-term 1+1 deals to try and get all 3 under the cap this year.  With promises of pay increases next year once the cap goes up again.

If one of those three balks, then we'll have a new dilemna on our hands.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but under that scenario, isn't Al's deal sort of irrelevant since the Hawks own his Bird Rights?  I mean, they have an $18M cap hold for Al and isn't that locked in?  That reportedly leaves about  $25M to spend so wouldn't the convo be between Baze and D12 about splitting the $25M?  That's a HUGE sell and not at all likely, imo.  I think Baze is gone and they are going after the D12/Al combo. The challenge or goal would be to get D12 to sign a bargain deal to allow them to go after another player as well. 

Edited by REHawksFan

It will if you add Jimmy Butler by trading Splitter and THjr and cutting Mike Scott and a first round pick (Minnesota's)?  to the Bulls.

You could also afford a great back up point guard  or a ryan anderson (to replace MS) in this scenario.

Edited by marco102

1 minute ago, IheartFerry said:

Lmao how Baze is casually inserted there. Do not kid yourself , he is easily replaced and I highly doubt Howards decision has anything to do with him

Baze wasn't casually inserted anywhere. He was inserted where he belongs. I'm sorry if you are one of the many that undervalue Bazemore on this site. Look around what other teams are offering him and how badly teams want him, numbnuts.

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

It will if you add Jimmy Butler by trading Splitter and THjr and cutting Mike Scott.

You could also afford a great back up point guard  or a ryan anderson (to replace MS) in this scenario.

I don't think Chicago is going to trade Jimmy Butler now. I mean, they're rebuilding but they want to hold onto something I would guess.

1 minute ago, RandomFan said:

Baze wasn't casually inserted anywhere. He was inserted where he belongs. I'm sorry if you are one of the many that undervalue Bazemore on this site. Look around what other teams are offering him and how badly teams want him, numbnuts.

Look what everyone is being offered numb nuts.. You are a fool if you believe Al or D12 has anything depending on Baze and his free agency

Just now, Hotlanta1981 said:

I don't think Chicago is going to trade Jimmy Butler now. I mean, they're rebuilding but they want to hold onto something I would guess.

Just heard on NBA TV they are willing to shop him for the right price.  I think that would be a fair trade if they are doing a full tank.  Although, the talking heads probably just put that out there.  If it's a possibility, we could have two to three LeBron stoppers (slower downers) on the team. 

Interesting...

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2016/07/01/evan-turner-leaves-celtics-for-trail-blazers/J4GTZkFeeu3uiqQzoJ714M/story.html

Turner said Ainge did not give a sense of where the Celtics stood in the Durant sweepstakes, but he said that Ainge “seemed confident with Horford.” Multiple reports said the Celtics were scheduled to meet with Horford Friday.

Turner said he worked out with Kyle Korver — Horford’s Atlanta teammate — in Santa Barbara, Calif., on Thursday. Korver told Turner that Horford was ultimately going to re-sign with the Hawks. But then on Friday, Turner said, Horford sent Korver a text message asking him to call him, and Turner had a sense that something might have shifted.

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Just heard on NBA TV they are willing to shop him for the right price.  I think that would be a fair trade if they are doing a full tank.  Although, the talking heads probably just put that out there.  If it's a possibility, we could have two to three LeBron stoppers (slower downers) on the team. 

How is Splitter and THjr a fair trade for Butler?

4 minutes ago, IheartFerry said:

Look what everyone is being offered numb nuts.. You are a fool if you believe Al or D12 has anything depending on Baze and his free agency

If you don't think being able to retain someone as good as Baze isn't going to influence both Horford and Howard, you're the fool.

Just now, RandomFan said:

If you don't think being able to retain someone as good as Baze isn't going to influence both Horford and Howard, you're the fool.

Pluck someone else in and get same value.. Sorry bro..

2 minutes ago, IheartFerry said:

How is Splitter and THjr a fair trade for Butler?

If Chicago's going full tank, the first round pick from Minnesota in next year's draft is the ultimate prize.  Chicago does not have a back up center and Tiago doesn't tie up cap space.   Thjr is a good prize because he's young and cheap. 

Edited by marco102

Just now, marco102 said:

If Chicago's going full tank, the first round pick from Minnesota in next year's draft is the ultimate prize.  Chicago does not have a back up center and Tiago doesn't tie up cap space.   Thjr is a good prize because he's young and cheap. 

Minnesota is on the verge of being pretty good. That picks value probably will not be very much

2 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Not buying it....

1. Hawks just beat Boston in the playoffs and so Horf would be going to a worse team.

2. He would be making less money?

3. We can't forget that Boston's biggest talking head has already insulted him.

It doesn't make sense for him to go to Boston unless they landed Durant. That's not going to happen though.

1 minute ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Not buying it....

1. Hawks just beat Boston in the playoffs and so Horf would be going to a worse team.

2. He would be making less money?

3. We can't forget that Boston's biggest talking head has already insulted him.

It doesn't make sense for him to go to Boston unless they landed Durant. That's not going to happen though.

While I ultimately think Al re-signs with ATL, I will point out...

1. Bos + Al is far better than Atl - Al (and likely Baze)

2. Fair point and the reason I doubt Al leaves

3. This is irrelevant

3 minutes ago, IheartFerry said:

Minnesota is on the verge of being pretty good. That picks value probably will not be very much

I agree, but Minnie's in the West being pretty good won't get you very far.  Also, this is completely hypothetical.  I was saying if you added Butler through that trade to the hypothetical team mentioned above then the Hawks would have a good chance and being on Cleveland's level. 

10 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but under that scenario, isn't Al's deal sort of irrelevant since the Hawks own his Bird Rights?  I mean, they have an $18M cap hold for Al and isn't that locked in?  That reportedly leaves about  $25M to spend so wouldn't the convo be between Baze and D12 about splitting the $25M?  That's a HUGE sell and not at all likely, imo.  I think Baze is gone and they are going after the D12/Al combo. 

Not really. If we were going to be able to keep Horford and add Howard, that would make Splitter's $8.55M expendable at the least. And we always have the option of releasing Scott and his $3.3M salary, and/or trading Thabo's $4M or Korver's $5+M.

At the very least it would be Baze and Dwight splitting $33M in first years salaries. We could offer Dwight $20M of the $24M he's after in a 1st year on a 1+1 player option with the promise to make up the difference next year when the cap jumps again; pay Baze $13M on a 1+1 player option with the promise that we would make up the difference next year when we have his full Bird Rights.

It's a lot of moving parts, but it's doable if that is what the Hawks actually want to do.

3 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

While I ultimately think Al re-signs with ATL, I will point out...

1. Bos + Al is far better than Atl - Al (and likely Baze)

2. Fair point and the reason I doubt Al leaves

3. This is irrelevant

The Hawks will still make other moves if Horford doesn't land here and so I wouldn't be sure that Boston would be better.

Boston has nothing but IT and a bunch of decent role players. That's not going to beat Lebron or even come close.

• Premium Member

BOS would have to free a lot of cap space in order to sign Al, Dwight and then make a run at Durant. I don't know the numbers but it seems almost impossible to me. Dwight signing, then some PG backup and then Al with bird rights is way easier to happen. Plus, Horford can make more money here and is already familiar with the system. I don't think he would leave to play in Boston. It's not like the Celtics would have a shot at the Finals with them on that roster. 

oh, and I think we all can forget about Baze. He's probably getting that 18M contract elsewhere. Not worth it IMHO.

Lastly, I have to say that I hate Dwight, but if Al re-signing is contingent on Howard agreeing to play in the ATL, Bud should do it now. Pay those 24M and call it a day.