• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Dwight Howard Article

Wurider05

Since nobody else is responsing, I'll chip in with a "good read." Makes me even more reluctant on signing him. It would have to be something that Bud is comfortable with, thinking that he can motivate Dwight properly. And also convincing him of his role here, and that it won't be as a post-threat like Dwight seems to want. If those two things happen, then I can maybe see us doing something like a 1+1 deal to see how things mesh, while giving us an easy out if it doesn't.

It's interesting that the NBA execs cited don't think Dwight is worth over $15M per year. They are probably right, but good luck trying to convince Dwight or his agent of that.

I disagree with the article. Howard grew frustrated with the way he was handled on the rockets and he actually just had an interview on NBA radio with Jason Terry. I will say this, Howard talks an extremely good game for someone to be consider a selfish player in this league but if he's true to his word and ALL he really cares about is winning he's going to go to a team that will utilize him the right way. Jason Terry even admitted that they didn't use Howard properly during the interview and Howard indicated several times he's ready to get back to TEAM basketball. To me that means he has now understood that what was going on in Orlando under Gundy was how a TEAM is suppose to play.

Im not surprised he has had his agent set up his first two meeting with teams that move the ball. Howard doesn't want to score all the points he wants to be involved cause he knows he can be a deadly force if used properly. 

Everyone isn't seeing the BIGGER picture of adding Dwight to a front court of Millsap and Horford! Its crazy to me! WE need to get deeper. I have LONG list of reasons WHY this will work and I would be more than Happy to share it yet again with the Squawk.

P.S.

Terry said that wherever he goes he will be paying close attention. 

• Like 1

Hecks Bells...if Dwight is healthy and wants to play in the ATL I would take him in a heartbeat.  Thing is - will the new Hawks owner spend the money for a "Very Hefty" contract for both AL and D12?  I really feel we would need AL, D12, and Mr. Millsap together.   Can't trade one to get the other.  Obviously this would mean Baze is a gonner - but having a front line (sharing minutes and Sap playing the 3 occasionally...depending on matchups - would be pretty F'n good.  We would be extremely tough inside and we could spread minutes around and try to keep guys healthy.  Cap-wise the money would be there - but will this new owner spend the $$ ??

Dennis would be setting up guys for monster dunks all the time...the "Highlight Factory" would be back Babay!!

Edited by DJlaysitup
add

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, DJlaysitup said:

Hecks Bells...if Dwight is healthy and wants to play in the ATL I would take him in a heartbeat.  Thing is - will the new Hawks owner spend the money for a "Very Hefty" contract for both AL and D12?  I really feel we would need AL, D12, and Mr. Millsap together.   Can't trade one to get the other.  Obviously this would mean Baze is a gonner - but having a front line (sharing minutes and Sap playing the 3 occasionally...depending on matchups - would be pretty F'n good.  We would be extremely tough inside and we could spread minutes around and try to keep guys healthy.  Cap-wise the money would be there - but will this new owner spend the $$ ??

You do know that Howard's max salary is around $30 mil per season and the Hawks can only clear about$24 million if they renounce everyone and cut non guaranteed salaries like Mike Scott, Eddie and Muscala right?

9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You do know that Howard's max salary is around $30 mil per season and the Hawks can only clear about$24 million if they renounce everyone and cut non guaranteed salaries like Mike Scott, Eddie and Muscala right?

Actually no...I did not know that.   I guess I was "hoping" that for once in my life as a Hawks fan ownership could do something creative.  I'm sure it won't happen but it would be fun to watch if it did.  Having AL, D12, and Millsap on the same team would be a lot of fun.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, DJlaysitup said:

Actually no...I did not know that.   I guess I was "hoping" that for once in my life as a Hawks fan ownership could do something creative.  I'm sure it won't happen but it would be fun to watch if it did.  Having AL, D12, and Millsap on the same team would be a lot of fun.

I hope you all realize that Howard just isn't that good anymore and certainly not worth destroying a team to acquire.  It would be an epic fail!

I don't think it would "destroy the team" by any means.  He would be a big center.  If it comes down to money and pettiness and the "core" can't deal with him then yeah...heck with it.  If everybody could "play nice" - having AL, D12, and Millsap would be awesome.

13 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Well from my understanding the Hawks freed up 8m more because of the Teague trade. But since we have to sign the rookies they really only free up about 6m. They just got back moose probably because they aren't sure what's going to happen to Scott.

i would say as of right now the Hawks have somewhere between 23-25m in cap. But we can use the stretch provision on splitter and free up an additional 6m. Therefore we could have 28-30m if Budcox chooses to do that.

Heres my thinking Bud isn't going to spend ALL the available cap on Howard ....hell no playoff team is! So he if he's truly serious about winning and not worried about the money then he can still have a max deal along with a good team. I happen to believe that Howard is a lot more serious about winning this time around cause it's not just his last max deal it's also his last chance to go out on top as a winner. 

I can see bud in the room with Howard, Sap, Horford (Bazemore too) explaining how they plan to use them and that the front court will be the head of the snake competing for a title but all at the same time you have to be willing to accept some paycuts similar to how the heat & Spurs have done recently.

Look at lebron he's never taken his full max salary and though I can't stand the guy I have to give him his props!  If Howard wants to win like he said he does getting the full max isn't the priority or he would  and should be trying to find a way to stay in Houston .

• Like 1

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, DJlaysitup said:

Dennis would be setting up guys for monster dunks all the time...the "Highlight Factory" would be back Babay!!

I don't think that Dwight can command Max Money.  I doubt that he can command the money he opted out of.  That being said, I like the idea of getting him on a value contract to prove his worth.   Then we can resign Baze and Horf. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I don't think that Dwight can command Max Money.  I doubt that he can command the money he opted out of.  That being said, I like the idea of getting him on a value contract to prove his worth.   Then we can resign Baze and Horf. 

Certainly sign me up if you could get Howard for less than $20 mil per year on the shortest contract he would agree to.  That would be a no brainer!

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Certainly sign me up if you could get Howard for less than $20 mil per year on the shortest contract he would agree to.  That would be a no brainer!

My guess... since Boston said that they're not going to go hard for Dwight... Is that we can prolly offer him 3 years 60 Million with an opt out after the first year... and he will take it.  So basically, it's like 1 year 19.0 Million and he has the chance to opt out after he has proven himself and go after the Max. 

That would leave us about give or take 6 Million... Plus Hinrich's 5.. so 11 Million.  We'd have to do something to clear a little more cap for Baze and the BU PG. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

That would leave us about give or take 6 Million... Plus Hinrich's 5.. so 11 Million.  We'd have to do something to clear a little more cap for Baze and the BU PG. 

Why do you have such a hard on for Bazemore?

• Like 1

What's to replace?  He was an average starting whatever...They are a dime a dozen!

Sure, except any free agent who could give us similar production would cost just as much if not more. If a mediocre player like Harrison Barnes could get a max contract I'd like to retain Bazemore if it all possible.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, nathan2331 said:

Sure, except any free agent who could give us similar production would cost just as much if not more. If a mediocre player like Harrison Barnes could get a max contract I'd like to retain Bazemore if it all possible.

Thjr could most likely match Bazemore's production now @ the 2 guard position if given the chance

• Like 1

This solidified even more what I thought about Dwight: he thinks too highly of himself. 

He can be a good piece to a puzzle but he is not "the guy" anymore.

Big men in this league on winning teams have had to take a backseat and that's where this league is going (Bogut, Tristan Thompson, Whiteside, Jordan, etc).  Dwight loves the attention and I think he just can't cope. I don't know if he will cope either, he could continue to be delusional until he retires.

• Like 1