• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

THE NBA FREE AGENCY THREAD

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I dunno. Gotta remember this is the same guy that thinks he's going to opt out of that Boston deal after year 3 and then get himself another 4 or 5 year max contract - at age 33...

It is his option whether to opt out or not.  That is smart.  If the market looks good, he can do it.  If he wants another year of his max salary deal, he doesn't opt out.  

If the new CBA leads to more massive increases in salary (perhaps giving the players a larger share of BRI like they enjoyed in the past), he won't need a max deal to eclipse where he is at in year 4 of his current deal.  If the new CBA suppresses salaries, he can keep the locked in 4 years.  

What about a max contract with a player option is similar to Waiters opting out of a one year deal that would have paid him more than twice what he got on the FA market?

12 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I dunno. Gotta remember this is the same guy that thinks he's going to opt out of that Boston deal after year 3 and then get himself another 4 or 5 year max contract - at age 33...

AHF is just wrong, doesn't want to admit it.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

AHF is just wrong, doesn't want to admit it.

Horf is a douche for bailing on this team when it had a chance to put together a historic front line.  He isn't an idiot who made a stupid financial decision on his contract because his ego is so out of control that he can't understand he isn't nearly as desired as he believes he is.  

His move was fine financially.  It was just a d#*$ move to bail on the team for arguably their biggest rival when it doesn't even improve his ability to contend for a ring.

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Horf is a douche for bailing on this team when it had a chance to put together a historic front line.  He isn't an idiot who made a stupid financial decision on his contract because his ego is so out of control that he can't understand he isn't nearly as desired as he believes he is.  

His move was fine financially.  It was just a d#*$ move to bail on the team for arguably their biggest rival when it doesn't even improve his ability to contend for a ring.

How was it "fine" financially to turn down money and years basically out of spite?

I'd contend he did indeed make a stupid financial decision on his contract because his ego is so out of control that he can't understand he isn't nearly as desired as he believes he is.

Horford and Durant did the complete opposite moves in my opinion. Durant joined the Warriors, virtually eliminating OKC from the top tier in the west, leaving only the Spurs and maybe the Clippers to try and beat the Warriors.

Dumba$$ Horford did the exact opposite, instead of making the Hawks and elite team and a possible top 3 lock in the east, he signed with Boston, evening teams out more in the east and diluting the talent and virtually putting us in the same tier as those green puke bastards. Smh.

Intellectually :

Durant>Horford 

Loyalty:

They both suck.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

How was it "fine" financially to turn down money and years basically out of spite?

I'd contend he did indeed make a stupid financial decision on his contract because his ego is so out of control that he can't understand he isn't nearly as desired as he believes he is.

He takes more money over the first three years of the contract.

In the fourth year, he either makes more money or has the option to opt out if that looks like a better risk.  He likely thinks his odds of getting another long deal are better in 4 years than 5 years.

The fifth year is the only year in question where he is gambling on what he can get then under a likely larger salary cap but at a more advanced age.  

Personally, I see him as having more money than he can spend anyway and the flexibility in year 4 as a nice positive.  I see very little financial risk with the approach he is taking and think flexibilty with the uncertainty around the new CBA is perfectly rationale.

Even if you disagree with him, it is not remotely comparable to Waiters.  The guy you are looking for to compare him to Waiter is Latrell Sprewell.

18 minutes ago, AHF said:

He takes more money over the first three years of the contract.

In the fourth year, he either makes more money or has the option to opt out if that looks like a better risk.  He likely thinks his odds of getting another long deal are better in 4 years than 5 years.

The fifth year is the only year in question where he is gambling on what he can get then under a likely larger salary cap but at a more advanced age.  

Personally, I see him as having more money than he can spend anyway and the flexibility in year 4 as a nice positive.  I see very little financial risk with the approach he is taking and think flexibilty with the uncertainty around the new CBA is perfectly rationale.

Even if you disagree with him, it is not remotely comparable to Waiters.  The guy you are looking for to compare him to Waiter is Latrell Sprewell.

Not sure I was comparing him to Waders (hehe).  I was just spouting off.

15 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Why are allya still talkin' 'bout 'im.

Unsure Larry David

What the hell?

.... lemme get bak to you.

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Not sure I was comparing him to Waders (hehe).  I was just spouting off.

Unsure Larry David

What the hell?

.... lemme get bak to you.

I had to like this for the best tv show and best movie gifs alone 

4 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Larry Sanders is saying he would potentially sign a min contract ... I think we should pursue him for that low risk ... if he wants to come here then i would part ways with the Moose

Hell naw.  Dude left millions to go smoke weed.  I'd say he's got decision-making issues.

Let him rehab on someone else's dimes.

• Admin
Just now, kg01 said:

Hell naw.  Dude left millions to go smoke weed.  I'd say he's got decision-making issues.

Let him rehab on someone else's dimes.

It was depression ... for the min and the potential impact he could eventually have as a backup center ... I would take a flyer ... if he doesn't work out then release him ... 

13 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Larry Sanders is saying he would potentially sign a min contract ... I think we should pursue him for that low risk ... if he wants to come here then i would part ways with the Moose

Sanders can start somewhere.

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

It was depression ... for the min and the potential impact he could eventually have as a backup center ... I would take a flyer ... if he doesn't work out then release him ... 

Then he has motivation issues.  Either way, we don't need players on the squad that need to be babysat.

2 hours ago, capstone21 said:

Wait, so he's saying it wasn't weed-related?

Either way, pass just 'cause a the drama.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Thomas said:

I guess for Sanders running out of cash is even more depressing. Articles in the past made him sound a lot like Ricky Williams though so maybe a bit of both?

Williams might be a good parallel.  Remember when that guy only did interviews with his helmet on?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Williams might be a good parallel.  Remember when that guy only did interviews with his helmet on?

Pretty funny. Guess it was Ricky's version of really dark sunglasses.

Welp, Westbrook is off the board after signing an extension with OKC.  Well, to be fair, the extension gives OKC more leverage in trade talks (if they choose to go that route).  Plus, Russell gets more $$$ this year and can still opt out after next season (which he'll likely do to take advantage of the bump in salary cap).

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-russell-westbrook-agrees-to-contract-extension-with-okc-050837786.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

Oklahoma City Thunder star guard Russell Westbrook has agreed to a three-year, $85 million-plus maximum contract renegotiation, league sources told The Vertical.

In the most likely scenario, Westbrook will become an unrestricted free agent in 2018 again.

In the structure of the renegotiation, Westbrook’s salary in 2016-17 increases from $17.8 million to a $26.5 million max salary, $28.5 million in 2017-18, and includes a player option for $30.6 million in the third year.

Oklahoma City is able to offer the extension because it has the appropriate salary cap space available

Jettisoning Waders allowed them to have the cap to do this.  Funny thing is (IIUC) there's only 1 other team that has the ability to absorb this new contract.  Hint: They eat a lot of chowdah and they love undersized 5's.

As an aside, the more I read/hear aboout Westbrook the more I like him.  Not an entourage guy, stands on his own 2 feet.  That type of thing.