• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Foul shooting and Rick Barry

Thomas

• Moderators

Most of that article is about theoretical advantages of under hand though.   I bet if you analyzed Kyle Korver's free throws versus Rick Barry you'd find that they are both shooting in an optimized way that is effectively equal.   So the real question is :  is it easier to master shooting underhand vs. overhand?     My guess is it's about the same and they both take a lot of practice and concentration.   

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Most of that article is about theoretical advantages of under hand though.   I bet if you analyzed Kyle Korver's free throws versus Rick Barry you'd find that they are both shooting in an optimized way that is effectively equal.   So the real question is :  is it easier to master shooting underhand vs. overhand?     My guess is it's about the same and they both take a lot of practice and concentration.   

The article is focused on the physics of the really tall players, though.  The problem with angle of entry has always been for big men, not guards and wings.  

We've seen examples in the past like Wilt and Barry where guys notably improved their FT shooting going underhanded (even though Wilt presumably had much more training overhanded).  It isn't definitive to me but I totally buy into the notion that people won't try it because they are embarrassed.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AHF said:

The article is focused on the physics of the really tall players, though.  The problem with angle of entry has always been for big men, not guards and wings.  

We've seen examples in the past like Wilt and Barry where guys notably improved their FT shooting going underhanded (even though Wilt presumably had much more training overhanded).  It isn't definitive to me but I totally buy into the notion that people won't try it because they are embarrassed.  

Which is just ridiculous when you are embarrassed every time you go to the line anyway.   

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Would have been funny to see Muggsy or Spud try an underhanded ft. Lol