• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Interesting Video on Dwight Howard displaying how he was used differently in Orlando/Houston

GameTime

I was trying to create a thread like this but couldn't find the videos....anyways excellent post and thanks for sharing!

theres a specific way you use Dwight Howard and he has gotten away from that the last 3 seasons....people are insane to believe he's lost his game. I understand him losing some athleticism but the fact is, is that he still has enough athleticism and surely enough strength to rack up 18-22 points per game at the age 30.

lol the way some talk about Dwight you would think 1. he's Tim Duncan's age and 2. That we are in an era of elite big men! Lol

as long as Howard is serious about getting back to what he was doing under SVG  his numbers prove that he can still be an impactful scorer in this league but he has to run the offense! No iso post shit like LA and Houston tried to do....that's not his game.

• Like 2

at the end of the interview they  ask him if he would consider shooting underhand like Onuaku and says, "uh. NO!". Then they say, "Onuaku, shot 59% from the free throw line shooting those shots underhand." Dwight answers, "That's amazing, I'm happy for him".  LMAO....I'll give him that...he's not gonna change for anyone.

Pick and roll with Dwight is lethal. Read the below from Yahoo Sports. Dwight is spot on with how he was being misused. We are one of the best pick and roll teams in the league with the roll man finishing and we just got better

Pick-and-roll (roll man)

Plays ending with the roll-man off screens were, to nobody's surprise, the fourth-most efficient play type behind cuts, transition plays and offensive rebounds. They accounted for 6.7% of the league's total offensive opportunities, and no teams used it more often than the Mavericks, Magic, Hawks and Blazers. The Mavs were also the fourth-most efficient team, notching 1.1 PPP via roll men, making it a very potent source of scoring for Dallas. The Heat were the most efficient at 1.18 PPP, followed by the Suns and Rockets.

In spite of their efficiency, however, the Rockets' offense finished with a roll man just 3.7% of the time. That was easily the lowest percentage of any team's offense last season, and preseason talk of Dwight Howard being featured in pick-and-rolls proved to be wishful thinking. Side note: Dwight was tremendously effective in a few offensive categories including transition (1st in PPP across the entire NBA), cuts (2nd) and as a roll man (3rd). Unfortunately, those categories combined were only 21.3% of his offensive opportunities. Fully 53.1% of his chances came in post-up situations, where he averaged only 0.77 PPP (128th in the NBA).  I doubt those numbers will change significantly at this point in his career, even if he works out with Hakeem Olajuwon 12 hours a day this summer.

The other teams least likely to finish plays with a roll man were the 76ers, Bucks, Suns and Pistons.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-offenses-numbers-234100285--nba.html;_ylt=A0LEVjtfc4FXhLwA2U8nnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEyNzA5MzJjBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM2BHZ0aWQDQjIxNzFfMQRzZWMDc3I-

The above is courtesy of Yahoo Sports and link is included.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 3

One positive is the possibility of some easy baskets. The Hawks haven't really had guys over the years that get easy points. Josh could provide some, but he was more likely to jack up a long jumper. Not to mention haven't nobody that can get to the free throw line. The Hawks rarely get players in foul trouble. Obviously the downside is that Dwight misses so many.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

One positive is the possibility of some easy baskets. The Hawks haven't really had guys over the years that get easy points. Josh could provide some, but he was more likely to jack up a long jumper. Not to mention haven't nobody that can get to the free throw line. The Hawks rarely get players in foul trouble. Obviously the downside is that Dwight misses so many.

Easy baskets is exactly what Dwight brings to the table. From the Yahoo article I quoted earlier.

Plays ending with the roll-man off screens were, to nobody's surprise, the fourth-most efficient play type behind cuts, transition plays and offensive rebounds.  Dwight was tremendously effective in a few offensive categories including transition (1st in PPP across the entire NBA), cuts (2nd) and as a roll man (3rd). Unfortunately, those categories combined were only 21.3% of his offensive opportunities.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-offenses-numbers-234100285--nba.html;_ylt=A0LEVjtfc4FXhLwA2U8nnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEyNzA5MzJjBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM2BHZ0aWQDQjIxNzFfMQRzZWMDc3I-

You can pencil him in as our best offensive rebounder on day 1; so add that category for him helping us as well with easy put backs.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Summer league Bud interview states he would like to use Dwight specifically with early deep post touches and pick and roll like Orlando and not late post ISO like Houston and LA

Oooooo, this is gonna be good. That's a 20/13/2 D12 :excl:

• Like 3