• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Apparently Horford will speak out about his fathers comments

JTB

Since Vivlamore is the source Im not too sure if Horford will truly speak out about what Tito (Horfords Dad) said about us Hawk fans but if he does Im interested in what he will say and his true feelings about the Atlanta Fan Base.

Of course Horford still has lost my respect since his dad has taken his balls to speak up about why he decided not to return but depending on what he says perhaps he can soften the blow.

22 minutes ago, JTB said:

Since Vivlamore is the source Im not too sure if Horford will truly speak out about what Tito (Horfords Dad) said about us Hawk fans but if he does Im interested in what he will say and his true feelings about the Atlanta Fan Base.

Of course Horford still has lost my respect since his dad has taken his balls to speak up about why he decided not to return but depending on what he says perhaps he can soften the blow.

I just read the interview. Interesting read. It just seems like Al trying to tell Hawks fans what they want to hear though and not the truth.

Edited by BigDog90
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

So C-Viv has Al's phone nimber?

The only way I imagine C-Viv having a phone conversation with Al is either Al drunk dialing and getting the wrong Chris or somebody prank phone calling him pretending to be Al.

• Like 1

CnIAuyOUEAE9eTN.jpg

So basically it came down to he wanted to be a max player and the Hawks didn't wanna give it to him.

I can't really blame him for that but him and his family handled the situation horribly and this was nothing but damage control. 

• Like 3

There's an old axiom  that seems to apply here:

"Locking the stable door after the horse is gone."

You just snuck out your dad's new car.  Left the road when you missed the curve.  Totaled the car.

Trying to explain, "I wasn't really drinking, dad.  That tree just jumped out in front of me!"

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RandomFan said:

That's pretty much how I read it too. He wanted the money. His interview started off talking about "best place to win a Championship" blah blah blah, then quickly went to several different answers confirming that it was all about the Benjamins. At least we know from his own words that it had absolutely nothing to do with playing with Howard nor anything to do with the fans - it really was all about the money. 

Which I think might make me dislike him even more since in the end it came down to somewhere between $4-6M total money - and that was the ONLY reason apparently. He got himself butthurt when the Hawks didn't bend over backwards to kiss his hand and shower him with jewels, and rode that butthurt straight outta town while throwin up shamrocks.

Screw that green bitch...

Boston - the best place to win a championship???  Come on Alice, you can do better than that.  I am quite confident that we will mop the floor with them this year.

Money and I guess he didn't like the plan for a Howard/Horf/Sap front court.  I wonder why he didn't do a 2 year deal with a 1 year player option to at least give it a go.  He could then opt out and go somewhere else for even MORE money after a year.  Guess that long-term guaranteed money was too much to turn down.

Q. Were you still with the Hawks right up to the end?

A. At the beginning my plan was to stay (in Atlanta). I started to see that when the team stepped up and did what they had to do, I didn’t think we were on the same page. That’s when I was forced to start looking at other options.

This tells me he truly didn't like the Dwight signing and/or he knew to stay in Atlanta, Sap would be gone and he wanted him around still.  Also I'm sure family got in his head too, Horford seems like he could easily let others influence him.  "They signed Dwight, they don't care about you!"

Either way, the guy took more money up front but lost a year off the contract which in my mind was a bad overall move.  By the time he's back on the market he's going to be an aging center who can't rebound and won't be getting near the same deal at that point.

I'm glad this all worked out the way it did honestly.  Ship him on up to Bahstan!

3 hours ago, AUhawksfan said:

This tells me he truly didn't like the Dwight signing and/or he knew to stay in Atlanta, Sap would be gone and he wanted him around still. 

What? That doesn't tell me that at all. It tells me that Whorefart was all about the money and the percieved "disrespect" from not being offered the max contract from the beginning from ATL. He already clearly said it wasn't about Dwight. So he's either telling the truth, or he's a liar about that.

Koonin already confirmed that Millsap was not on the trade block, so that premise is out the window too. No, it was all about the money and the "disrespect" for him...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17011199/al-horford-refutes-dad-comment-tepid-atlanta-hawks-led-boston-celtics

ESPN.com news services

Everyone had their own theories for why Al Horford left the Atlanta Hawks for the Boston Celtics. Two of them -- that Hawks fans weren't good enough and he didn't want to play with Dwight Howard -- can be taken off the list.

After Horford agreed to a four-year, $113 million contract with Boston on July 2, his father spoke about Atlanta.

"There wasn't as much motivation for him when he saw all the empty seats when they were winning," he told the Boston Globe. "He said to me, 'Dad, when we were playing Boston, they were down 15 points and they were cheering their team like they were winning the game. They're so into the game.' This is special for us, especially for him."

In an interview with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that was posted Monday, Al Horford said he didn't have any problems with Atlanta's fans and that he was disappointed in his father's comments.

"That made me really upset," he said. "I was angry when I heard about that because I never felt that way. I've been here a long time. I've actually gotten to know a lot of our fans, a lot of our season-ticket holders with the Hawks. They've always been great to me. I've always been very content and happy with the way they've treated me and my family.

"Parents are sometimes a little more passionate about their sons and daughters. I can relate because I have a son now. So my dad, with him, sometimes he would come to the games and get frustration. His frustrations don't reflect on me with the fan base."

The other big idea circulating was that Horford jumped ship after the Hawks agreed to a deal with Howard, whose reputation has taken a hit after failed stints with the Houston Rockets and Los Angeles Lakers. CBS Sports cited a person familiar with the situation as saying that Horford "didn't want to play with Dwight."

"No, no, no. Not at all. I don't have a problem with Dwight at all," Horford told the Journal-Constitution. "I think that he is a great player and he has a lot of ability and a lot of potential. It has nothing to do with not wanting to play with Dwight. I don't know if you remember but there was a time when I wanted to play power forward. With a guy like him, that would have been easier. It had nothing to do with Dwight. He's a good guy."

Horford said that as free agency loomed, his first option was always to stay in Atlanta, the only NBA team the 29-year-old has played for.

"I started to see that when the team stepped up and did what they had to do, I didn't think we were on the same page," he told the newspaper. "That's when I was forced to start looking at other options."

And it wasn't fans or Howard that forced that, it was "from a financial standpoint," Horford said.

When that door opened, Boston stepped in.

"When I took the meetings with the other teams, I met with Boston and other teams as well, when I sat with them I just saw the roster and their vision," Horford said. "There was a lot of impact on me with [general manager] Danny Ainge and coach [Brad] Stevens. It was a very positive meeting. Two of their owners were in the meeting and three or four of their players were there too. They seemed like a very close group and were focused on what their goal was and they got my attention.

"I wasn't sure in what direction I was going to go. But I knew in order to leave Atlanta it was going to take a very special situation."

32 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

What? That doesn't tell me that at all. It tells me that Whorefart was all about the money and the percieved "disrespect" from not being offered the max contract from the beginning from ATL. He already clearly said it wasn't about Dwight. So he's either telling the truth, or he's a liar about that.

Koonin already confirmed that Millsap was not on the trade block, so that premise is out the window too. No, it was all about the money and the "disrespect" for him...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17011199/al-horford-refutes-dad-comment-tepid-atlanta-hawks-led-boston-celtics

ESPN.com news services

Everyone had their own theories for why Al Horford left the Atlanta Hawks for the Boston Celtics. Two of them -- that Hawks fans weren't good enough and he didn't want to play with Dwight Howard -- can be taken off the list.

After Horford agreed to a four-year, $113 million contract with Boston on July 2, his father spoke about Atlanta.

"There wasn't as much motivation for him when he saw all the empty seats when they were winning," he told the Boston Globe. "He said to me, 'Dad, when we were playing Boston, they were down 15 points and they were cheering their team like they were winning the game. They're so into the game.' This is special for us, especially for him."

In an interview with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that was posted Monday, Al Horford said he didn't have any problems with Atlanta's fans and that he was disappointed in his father's comments.

"That made me really upset," he said. "I was angry when I heard about that because I never felt that way. I've been here a long time. I've actually gotten to know a lot of our fans, a lot of our season-ticket holders with the Hawks. They've always been great to me. I've always been very content and happy with the way they've treated me and my family.

"Parents are sometimes a little more passionate about their sons and daughters. I can relate because I have a son now. So my dad, with him, sometimes he would come to the games and get frustration. His frustrations don't reflect on me with the fan base."

The other big idea circulating was that Horford jumped ship after the Hawks agreed to a deal with Howard, whose reputation has taken a hit after failed stints with the Houston Rockets and Los Angeles Lakers. CBS Sports cited a person familiar with the situation as saying that Horford "didn't want to play with Dwight."

"No, no, no. Not at all. I don't have a problem with Dwight at all," Horford told the Journal-Constitution. "I think that he is a great player and he has a lot of ability and a lot of potential. It has nothing to do with not wanting to play with Dwight. I don't know if you remember but there was a time when I wanted to play power forward. With a guy like him, that would have been easier. It had nothing to do with Dwight. He's a good guy."

Horford said that as free agency loomed, his first option was always to stay in Atlanta, the only NBA team the 29-year-old has played for.

"I started to see that when the team stepped up and did what they had to do, I didn't think we were on the same page," he told the newspaper. "That's when I was forced to start looking at other options."

And it wasn't fans or Howard that forced that, it was "from a financial standpoint," Horford said.

When that door opened, Boston stepped in.

"When I took the meetings with the other teams, I met with Boston and other teams as well, when I sat with them I just saw the roster and their vision," Horford said. "There was a lot of impact on me with [general manager] Danny Ainge and coach [Brad] Stevens. It was a very positive meeting. Two of their owners were in the meeting and three or four of their players were there too. They seemed like a very close group and were focused on what their goal was and they got my attention.

"I wasn't sure in what direction I was going to go. But I knew in order to leave Atlanta it was going to take a very special situation."

I think money was a huge part of course but Dwight may have made Horford feel slighted even if he's not going to come out and say it.  Either way, I don't really care that much about the guy to go back and forth on it.  Just my opinion/speculation.

Interesting on the Koonin note about Sap though.  Is there a link/source?  I never heard anything about it and would love to know they cleared the air with him.