• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Which Hawk was more true to Atlanta?

Diesel

Tru2Atlanta  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

Tru2Atl...

I was thinking about the presser and some other Hawks that have adorned the Jersey.... Let's talk about some:

1.  Howard.  Only wanted to hear from one team and once he heard from us, cancelled all other interviews.

2.  Baze.  Wouldn't leave Atlanta and turned down the Rockets who flew in Harden, Drexler, Olajuwon, and gave him a whole lot of gifts and more money.

3.  Sap.  Turned down more money with Orlando to stay in ATL.

4.  Humphries.  Turned down a deal with the Hornets to take a one year deal with us.

5.  Horford.    Signed a 5 yr 60 Million dollar extension to stay with the Hawks in 2010.   

6.  Joe Johnson.  Signed a 5 year 70 Million dollar deal with the Hawks and waited through bad negotiations to be the face of the team. 

7.  Josh Smith.  Tattooed the Hawks pacman on his body. 

• Moderators

I honestly think that guy WAS Horford but he felt like the team didn't really want him that bad.   I think we blew the negotiation and produced ill will.   Had we brought that 5 year offer initially i think he'd retire a hawk.   Or at least he'd be here till we traded him.   He setup a real life here. 

You left off Korver.    That guy invested in this community immediately and has done nothing but be a great teammate, citizen and bust his ass on the court.    I'd say Baze is in that same mold.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, IheartVolt said:

So you are saying he got butt hurt over the negotiations?  This happens to everyone not named LeBron , KD , Dirk etc. Dude could not wait to bolt and he is last on that list IMO. 

No.  That happens to everyone in the world.    And I understand it totally from the Hawks point of view but the difference between this and a regular job negotiation is that if I'm a boss I'm not going to overpay someone if I don't think the market for their services is that high.   But the Hawks knew exactly the amount that other teams would throw at Horford and still flubbed it.   But in any job if you low ball a dedicated employee and then at the last minute you realize they have better offer and you say 'no wait we'll give you more' they typically leave anyway.   

Just now, macdaddy said:

No.  That happens to everyone in the world.    And I understand it totally from the Hawks point of view but the difference between this and a regular job negotiation is that if I'm a boss I'm not going to overpay someone if I don't think the market for their services is that high.   But the Hawks knew exactly the amount that other teams would throw at Horford and still flubbed it.   But in any job if you low ball a dedicated employee and then at the last minute you realize they have better offer and you say 'no wait we'll give you more' they typically leave anyway.   

Well technically they never matched per year offer from C's.. They simply did not see Alice as a max player. They added the extra year to put in effort but I believe they saw D8 as the better option at center. He was butt hurt man.

Anyway move on from Alice

• Like 2

• Moderators

Two chances to bring Zaza home and we didn't.   That sucks although i understand why we didn't sign him this time.   Still it would have been great to have him backing up Dwight.   Z is going to get a ring though so good for him.     I just hope he doesn't end up wearing a Warriors jersey into the Hall of Fame.   

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Two chances to bring Zaza home and we didn't.   That sucks although i understand why we didn't sign him this time.   Still it would have been great to have him backing up Dwight.   Z is going to get a ring though so good for him.     I just hope he doesn't end up wearing a Warriors jersey into the Hall of Fame.   

I think it would have cost a lot more for any other team to get Zaza.  He gave up a lot of money to ring chase.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Mac..  9 got to disagree.  we gave Horf a more than fair offer.  He was negotiating with KD and boston before the season was over.

I agree it was fair.  More than fair.   But if we give him that final offer day one then he's still a hawk.   Maybe the hawks didn't want that.

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I agree it was fair.  More than fair.   But if we give him that final offer day one then he's still a hawk.   Maybe the hawks didn't want that.

I haven't bought into the notion that his feelings were hurt by the way we negotiated.    It's a part of the game.   I think that Horford truly felt like he would be the 3rd wheel on our team and he let his ego drive the process. 

You say if we made the same offer on day one as on day 5, he would have signed.

My question is why would it be so different?

If you were tru 2 Atlanta and they matched your ask...  Why do you care about the process?

Moreover, when I hear about him talking with Isaiah Thomas about the climate in Boston before the offseason even starts, and trying to pair up with KD... I have to think that he had his bags packed and wasn't as tru-2-ATL as he put off.

• Like 2

I'm gonna say Zaza I guess. But nobody is really true to anybody anymore. We don't have any Tim Duncan hometown discount guys. Not many teams do or will in the future.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I haven't bought into the notion that his feelings were hurt by the way we negotiated.    It's a part of the game.   I think that Horford truly felt like he would be the 3rd wheel on our team and he let his ego drive the process. 

You say if we made the same offer on day one as on day 5, he would have signed.

My question is why would it be so different?

If you were tru 2 Atlanta and they matched your ask...  Why do you care about the process?

Moreover, when I hear about him talking with Isaiah Thomas about the climate in Boston before the offseason even starts, and trying to pair up with KD... I have to think that he had his bags packed and wasn't as tru-2-ATL as he put off.

A. At the beginning my plan was to stay (in Atlanta). I started to see that when the team stepped up and did what they had to do, I didn’t think we were on the same page. That’s when I was forced to start looking at other options.

Q. Are you talking about the Hawks signing Dwight Howard?

A. No, it was more from a financial standpoint.