• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What Player would you "Blow it up" For...

Diesel

• Premium Member

I was thinking about the nature of Hawks fans...  The fact that we would pick our own picks over stars... People are mad that we got Dwight over Horford.... When you look at their resume'... Anyway.

However, here's the question.

Seeing the direction that the Hawks are going in now...  Besides Lebron, KD, and Steph...  What player would you blow all of this up for...  When I say Blow it all up for, I mean, start off From scratch.. Trade everybody and fire the coach.

Please explain why...

• Like 2

• Premium Member

If I were going to choose a player to Blow all of what we have built up for... 

I have 2...

1.  Anthony Davis. 

2.  Paul George.

HM goes to Drummond and Cousins. 

Back to my picks.  Davis is young and could be the new Tim Duncan.  I just see him as a generational player who will be able to anchor a team.  I don't think he's there yet but it's coming.

George:  Before his injury... I thought he was on track to surpass Lebron as the face of the league.  He has skill and plays great defense.. he has the it factor that you like to see for team leaders.   I just think that somewhere down the road, he will at least challenge for a championship.

Not Pictured is Westbrook.  I like Westbrook and Klay for that matter, but I just can't anchor my hopes on a guard and I don't think he has enough.   I think Westbrook will have to learn how to play as a team player before he can be a great player.   Klay is great.  I think he may be the best 2 in the league.  However, I like the direction that we're going far more than I would like to blow it up. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Watchman said:

I don't want to blow it up.  You blow it up and maybe get a short term rental on a superstar (doubtful), who can't do anything because you "blew it up", and then you're back to being a non-factor.

Well, let's say you can get whoever you want for the next 4 years.  What Player is worthy of blowing everything up?

The Celts blew it up for KG and Allen. 

The Lakers blew it up for Shaq and Kobe. 

Maybe I should say pair.. but that makes it too easy.

2 hours ago, High5 said:

You're not being consistent in your definition of "blow it up." Anyway, I think KAT is the only player I'd consider starting over for. Getting rid of Bud would be stupid, though.

Words right outta my mouth.  I wouldn't trade any player for Bud.  Even after he pissed me off to no end glueing Hump to the pine.

Towns is Ewing with wider range and a little more athleticism.  Isn't the crazily instinctive defender Ewing was but a little higher IQ overall.  I'd be surprised as hell if he doesn't win at least one ring.  Paul George and Jimmy Butler are gonna have to take less money to go to a contender and they're the difference.  I'm intrigued to see Porzingis pans out.  The sky is the limit with his skill set but Phil is trying his hardest to run the Knicks in the ground. You round that championship-caliber starting five out with...wait for it....Dennis.

I'm skeptical of his size, jump shot, and overall facilitation abilities.  But Dennis is a damn dog, and that's the main trait you need in a championship-level PG.  The way he picks up full court and routinely grabs 5 boards shows he's all about winning, despite his brainfreezes.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

Westbrook needs a smart, disciplinarian, defensive-minded coach who'll put him at his rightful position of 2 guard.  A Carlisle-type.

I agree with you that Westbrook is more a OG than a PG.. I think now, the lines are skewed... OGs can be PGs...    However, I don't think it's a coaching issue perse.. I think that Westbrook is too competitive for his own good.   He's so competitive that he locks everybody else out.   More and More, I get the feeling that KD left partly because of Westbrook and not because Westbrook was leaving next year.

Oh I'm 100% convinced that's the reason Durant left. You hear all the comments from Durant about how he wanted to be in a more ball sharing offense. There have been so many comments from him over the last few years, saying similar things like OKC was an unbeatable team when they shared the ball,(which wasn't very often.)

That's why I don't criticize Durant for going to GSW. I don't see his primary goal for going there as chasing a ring. I think he genuinely wanted to play in a place where they share the ball - and GSW led the NBA in amount of passes last season. It's just a cherry on top for him that they are also championship caliber.

Another media type said it best: the Westbrook and Durant dynamic wasn't a case of two people that didn't like each other, they actually did like each other. But you can like a person and still not want to play basketball with that person because they don't play the style you want too.

8 hours ago, Diesel said:

I was thinking about the nature of Hawks fans...  The fact that we would pick our own picks over stars... People are mad that we got Dwight over Horford.... When you look at their resume'... Anyway.

However, here's the question.

Seeing the direction that the Hawks are going in now...  Besides Lebron, KD, and Steph...  What player would you blow all of this up for...  When I say Blow it all up for, I mean, start off From scratch.. Trade everybody and fire the coach.

Please explain why...

Nobody. 

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

Oh I'm 100% convinced that's the reason Durant left. You hear all the comments from Durant about how he wanted to be in a more ball sharing offense. There have been so many comments from him over the last few years, saying similar things like OKC was an unbeatable team when they shared the ball,(which wasn't very often.)

That's why I don't criticize Durant for going to GSW. I don't see his primary goal for going there as chasing a ring. I think he genuinely wanted to play in a place where they share the ball - and GSW led the NBA in amount of passes last season. It's just a cherry on top for him that they are also championship caliber.

Another media type said it best: the Westbrook and Durant dynamic wasn't a case of two people that didn't like each other, they actually did like each other. But you can like a person and still not want to play basketball with that person because they don't play the style you want too.

I always saw KD liking that iso-system.

He was even a Scott Brooks supporter as their coach 

6 minutes ago, MrYellow said:

I always saw KD liking that iso-system.

He was even a Scott Brooks supporter as their coach 

Mmmhhhmmm. That must be why Durant said this.

Durant praised Warriors coach Steve Kerr's system in a way that implied he wanted more ball movement and player movement than what he was used to as a member of the Oklahoma City Thunder.

"I always have fun playing the game, but it just looks like everything is moving so perfectly out there for 'em," he said. "I know the game of basketball is not a perfect game, but they play the game the right way, they move the ball, they play off of each other, they complement each other. So it's just, since Day 1, since coach Kerr got there, it just felt like they've been together for a long, long time. You could tell that. As a basketball player, I could tell that they enjoyed playing with each other."

And also this.

The pass-happy, rhythm-and-flow offense is one Durant has always longed for, but the Thunder struggled to adapt to that. Under Donovan, the Thunder improved their movement and spacing; they still ranked last in the league in passes per game, while the Warriors ranked first.

After a game in December when Oklahoma City's offense finally clicked under Donovan, snapping the ball all over the floor, racking up catch-and-shoot assists, Durant was ecstatic.

"I feel a breakthrough," he said. "Nobody can beat us when we play like that. F--king beautiful."

When the Thunder fired Scott Brooks last summer -- a move Durant was in favor of -- he talked to friends about wanting a coach who would change the team stylistically. A coach he referenced? Golden State's Steve Kerr, who he labeled as a "difference-maker."