• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Who will be the better player in 3 years?

Thinking initially Prince will probably be the better player (NBA-ready). But Bembry looks to have a higher ceiling and may eventually end up pulling even or achieving more.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's already starting:biggrin:....and they haven't played one real NBA game yet.

Yep, we have this unusual attachment to our drafted players.   If we put Bembry in the D-League and traded him by Jan... I can imagine the Squawk going bonkers.

It's probably WAY to early say with any confidence but I agree with earlier posts that in the end it will be Prince.   I think Thabo starts at the beginning of the season but I hope either one of them emerges and takes the starting three spot during the season.

46 minutes ago, ThomasCredle said:

It's probably WAY to early say with any confidence but I agree with earlier posts that in the end it will be Prince.   I think Thabo starts at the beginning of the season but I hope either one of them emerges and takes the starting three spot during the season.

Thabo hasn't been a starter in the last 3 years. Why in the world would you assume he's going to be a starter again all of a sudden, at age 32...

So many people pining for Prince to be in the 4 man wing rotation, but not realizing if he is then it will be at the expense of Thabo or Hardaway.

7 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Thabo hasn't been a starter in the last 3 years. Why in the world would you assume he's going to be a starter again all of a sudden, at age 32...

So many people pining for Prince to be in the 4 man wing rotation, but not realizing if he is then it will be at the expense of Thabo or Hardaway.

I agree totally he is not a long term option but just the best option early next year until a rookie or TH2 emerge.  He can still defend at a good level as well.  

If he is starting after the all star break I agree we may have big trouble at the 3

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Better as in who will suck less.

Yeah, 'cause we all know nobody sucks more than you, Al (ohhhh).

Ah cmon, had to be done.

Seriously though,  way early to tell on these two.

31 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yeah, 'cause we all know nobody sucks more than you, Al (ohhhh).

Ah cmon, had to be done.

Seriously though,  way early to tell on these two.

I actually think that Alex would love Dwight if he went to Michigan St. I'm sure Dwight would have gotten in too, a monkey could get accepted to Michigan St. lol

4 hours ago, ThomasCredle said:

I agree totally he is not a long term option but just the best option early next year until a rookie or TH2 emerge.  He can still defend at a good level as well.  

If he is starting after the all star break I agree we may have big trouble at the 3

OK, moving along. Since Baze and Korver started on the wings last year, why in the world would you think Thabo is more likely this year to start over a fully healthy Korver when he couldn't start over a gimped Korver at the start of last season?

The simple answer is, he wont.

Look, I get it - a lot of people wan't Korver to come off the bench. And I agree in a perfect world Korver would come off the bench and play fewer minutes. But the simple fact of the matter is he can only come off the bench if there are better options than him in the starting line up. And it is crystal clear that Thabo is NOT a better option, I'm sorry.

It's also clear that no rookie is going to come in here and start over Korver at the beginning of the season. I think most recognize that from what they have posted. But it still needs to be said, again. Over the course of the season as the rook's get some experience and more familiar with our plays and sets, then that might change. But to start the season, no. Prince might force his way into the rotation early, but you are kidding yourself if you think Bud is going to start a rookie from day 1. Not when he has viable veteran and experienced options available.

The only option that would possibly have a legitmate chance to put Korver in a reserve role for game 1 is Hardaway. I'm as high on Hardaway's future potential here as anyone, but even I have to admit he is going to have to take a big step up in camp and the preseason games to move Korver to a reserve. So flat out, if you want Korver to not start, you better be pulling for Hardaway to make huge strides this offseason; because that's the only way Korver isn't a starter for game 1.

My hope is that either Hardaway seizes the starting job before the season starts, or that Prince works his way into a starting role by midseason - both of which would allow Korver to come off the bench by the time we get to the playoffs. But I also realize that Korver is still likely to start early in the season because we have swapped Howard for Whorefart, and Schröder for Teague, and Bud will probably want as much stability as possible making those two transitions. That is another hurdle Hardaway would have to overcome to unseat Korver to start the season, and I'm not sure he can accomplish that just yet.

Another thing to consider is with Dwight here, Korver might have to run a lot less than he has since he's been here. With Howard getting early post touches and attacking the rim, he is going to be getting easy one on one's to the basket, or he's going to get doubled and have to pass out. If you place Korver where it forces his man to make the decision to double Dwight or stick to Korver, then Korver would get a heck of a lot more standstill catch and shoot 3's than he's ever gotten here. And with Baze and Sap out at the arc, the defense can't ignore either of them too. I'm not saying we're going to use this tactic, but it's possible. And it's not something we were ever able to do with Whorefart since he didn't like to attack the rim or force double teams.

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 1

I forgot to add a blatantly obvious point, one that we talked about extensively last offseason. You don't want to put Thabo and Baze on the floor at the same time because that takes both of our two best wing defenders off the floor at some point. While Korver is a very good team defender and isn't a slouch as a one on one defender, he and Hardaway are clearly our two weakest defenders of those four that are likely going to be in the 4 man wing rotation to start the season.

You want Baze or Thabo to relieve each other on the floor to guard the best wing player. Hopefully Prince will join that party at some point, but for right now that is just a "hopefully." And you want Korver or Hardaway to relieve each other to provide the offensive shooting and spacing. Which brings us back to once again needing Hardaway to step up if we want to put Korver as a reserve to start the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

I forgot to add a blatantly obvious point, one that we talked about extensively last offseason. You don't want to put Thabo and Baze on the floor at the same time because that takes both of our two best wing defenders off the floor at some point. While Korver is a very good team defender and isn't a slouch as a one on one defender, he and Hardaway are clearly our two weakest defenders of those four that are likely going to be in the 4 man wing rotation to start the season.

You want Baze or Thabo to relieve each other on the floor to guard the best wing player. Hopefully Prince will join that party at some point, but for right now that is just a "hopefully." And you want Korver or Hardaway to relieve each other to provide the offensive shooting and spacing. Which brings us back to once again needing Hardaway to step up if we want to put Korver as a reserve to start the season.

Bazemore, 6'5", 201, above average defender. Elite athleticism.

Hardaway, 6'6", 205, average to below average defender.   Above average athleticism.

Korver 6'7", 212. Makes more sense to me at the 3 except for foot speed. Below average athleticism.

Prince 6'7", 220, above average, elite potential defender.  Elite athleticism.

Why would Hardaway start at the 3?  Hardaway as the backup 2 makes more sense to me.

Baze/Hardaway

Prince/Korver (early sub)

Makes the most sense.

From what I seen in summer league, both are impact style players. Both have more potential than what's mentioned, both are better advertised although I liked Bembry in the combine. 

I say Prince has potential to be a star with the right development, he's like Gerald Wallace with less athletic ability but with DMC feel for the game at the same stage of their careers. He's still a couple years away. Bembry is still kinda raw as well. He's skillset though it developed and his feel for the game is good. He just needs to work on consistency, shooting and getting experience like most rookies. He can be a star in the right system and likely a solid role player in most. His athletic ability is impressive. 

Bembry is like a more NBA ready Josh Childress physically but ChillZ was a better rookie player than Bembry. Childress as a rookie was decent. Bembry is below average. But Bembry has a lot of upside especially in the right system.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RandomFan said:

If he is, it would be because he beat them out fair and square (highly unlikely) not because we are pining for him.