• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Who will be the better player in 3 years?

• Moderators

If THJr doesn't take a big leap this year, I think he is gone after this season.  Bazemore needs to be at SG long-term and that leaves only backup minutes for THJr.  If he is playing like last year, he won't be worth what he'll get in a bloated FA market for wings and it will be next man up for Bembry at SG.

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

If THJr doesn't take a big leap this year, I think he is gone after this season.  Bazemore needs to be at SG long-term and that leaves only backup minutes for THJr.  If he is playing like last year, he won't be worth what he'll get in a bloated FA market for wings and it will be next man up for Bembry at SG.

Yep.

46 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@RandomFanThis is why I hate these waaaaay down the road projections, so much can happen, but here goes:

1. Kent signed a 4 year deal with a player option in year #4 - so if he opts out it'll be the year before Bremby and Prince become RFAs. the same yer Dwight becomes a free agent.

2. Both Dennis and THjr will be RFAs next offseason - so if we assume we extend Dennis for 5 years and THjr to a shorter deal say 3 years (or longer), depending on his progress this year.

3. In year 4 of Prince and Bembry they'll be RFAs a year after Baze has resigned (assuming he opts out) -what if at that time Bud says to be Baze 'your favorite player has always been Manu - I would like you to take on the Manu role from the bench.'  If THJr is still here he starts, Baze the backup. Prince at SF, Bembry the backup SF (I assume Thabo has moved on)

4. Or we could have another  Teague/Schröder battle between THJr/Bembry - the younger guys stays, the other is traded.

5. There are too many moving parts to say how all this will play out.

6.  Like I said previously and you have stated,  resigning both won't be another Millsap/DMC.

1. True, Kent might opt out of that last contract in order to get one last good sized 4 or 5 year contract. I think if Dwight plays well here, and I think he will, then he will probaly re-up on a 2 or 3 year contract for a medium amount that doesn't break the bank. He might be closer to a 25 mpg player by then anyway.

2. Oh it's guaranteed that Dennis is going to get at least a 4 year max offer from some team that we'll be forced to match or let him walk for nothing. But I think we will be able to sign him before it comes to that on a 5 year contract for slightly less than his 5 year max (something like 5% to 10% less).

Hardaway, it all depends on his development this year. I see AHF is still thinking Hardaway might be done here after this year, but I just don't see that. Of course, the proof will be in the pudding and it all hinges on Hardaway showing development this year. But I just keep coming back to the idea that I highly doubt Bud would trade a 1st rounder for him and seem so excited about him to potentially lose him for nothing two years later. Bud is a smart guy when it comes to developing players and constructing a roster. He wouldn't have traded for Hardaway if he didn't think Tim was in our longterm plans somehow.

I think as long as Hardaway develops into at least a 6th man candidate, then he is brought back. And I know most of us think Bazemore is better suited for SG, and maybe he is; but I don't think Bud is as convinced of that as we might be. The fact of the matter is we have a glut of SG's and playing Baze at SF's helps allow us to accomodate another SG in the mix.

3. Could happen. But here's the thing, Baze is more of a SF than Bembry is. Bembry is half an inch taller but has a significantly shorter wingspan and less athleticism. If the top 4 wings at that point are Hardaway, Baze, Prince, and Bembry, then we'd probably be looking at Prince and Baze at the 3 still. We'd also probably have Cordinier in the mix at backup PG and SG too.

Regarding Thabo, I think it's almost guaranteed this is his last season as a Hawk - unless both Prince and Bembry seriously flop. I think Korver returns next year in a backup role, and pretty much the only thing that changes for our wings is we subtract Thabo and add Cordinier.

4. Trading one of the young SG's in the future years is definitely an option. And honestly, it's probably a likely option considering we will have Baze, Hardaway, Bembry, and Cordinier all best suited as a SG. Cordinier could maybe be a PG; Baze and Bembry can play SF; but speaking strictly in terms is likely best positions for each of those guys, right now you would have to think is at SG. And you've got to think that Korver is probably going to give us at least 2 more years, perhaps 3.

Edited by RandomFan

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Cordinier is a longshot not a guy to plan around.  If he pays off - great!  But you don't count on it.

I would usually think the same about a guy like him, drafted at that spot and being stashed. But did you see this guy play? I just think he might actually be a euro that we bring over in the next few years. He's got the talent and confidence for the NBA imo. 

Based on history, you are right, but there's something different about this guy which excites me.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I would usually think the same about a guy like him, drafted at that spot and being stashed. But did you see this guy play? I just think he might actually be a euro that we bring over in the next few years. He's got the talent and confidence for the NBA imo. 

Based on history, you are right, but there's something different about this guy which excites me.

Some of those guys hit, but I don't plan around summer league stardom.  If he hits, I'll be thrilled.  Hopefully we end up 3 for 3 this season.

15 hours ago, AHF said:

I hate to semi-agree with you but I think you're right.  If Timi shows anything, he might be a good lil' trade piece this season especially if Bembry is anywhere close to 'getting it' (relatively speaking)?

I was told I'm kind of a 'meh' poster so I'm trying to step my game up with some hot takes. :cool:

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I hate to semi-agree with you but I think you're right.  If Timi shows anything, he might be a good lil' trade piece this season especially if Bembry is anywhere close to 'getting it' (relatively speaking)?

I was told I'm kind of a 'meh' poster so I'm trying to step my game up with some hot takes. :cool:

WEAKtakesJ.jpg

10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Who gave you all that credit? Lol

18 minutes ago, AHF said:

WEAKtakesJ.jpg

:afro: The Bembry emojicon approves.

10 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Who gave you all that credit? Lol

Your gf gave me a lot more than credit.  Ohhhhh

22 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Lol damn u weak bro...

STEP UR TRASH TALK UP SUN... THATS PRE SCHOOL SHIT...lol..u remind me of Casey Affleck in good will hunting...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RypnQVttydQ

Dang man, you might be right.  I gotta get it going.  What qualifies as high-level postering around here nowadays.  Oh, I know.  Identify a former-Hawk and say he compares favorably to a HOF.  Yeah, yeah ... ya know' everybody's all over Dirk's career but have you seen Hanno Möttölä's per36 nimbers?  And he's not a system player like Dirk was ....

(Staaaarting to think that dig got to me more than I let on.)

If Hardaway Jr continues to be the SG version of Mike Scott, that's nice but it can easily be replaced. The main reason why he was traded for is because Bud and the Hawks thought they were closer to being legitimate finals contenders and he didn't want to have to put time in developing a rookie. The Hawks realized he was wrong, and thus he was overruled in attempting to trade their picks again and they picked up three wing players in the draft this year.

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Dang man, you might be right.  I gotta get it going.  What qualifies as high-level postering around here nowadays.  Oh, I know.  Identify a former-Hawk and say he compares favorably to a HOF.  Yeah, yeah ... ya know' everybody's all over Dirk's career but have you seen Hanno Möttölä's per36 nimbers?  And he's not a system player like Dirk was ....

(Staaaarting to think that dig got to me more than I let on.)

That really deserves it's own thread...or 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

If Hardaway Jr continues to be the SG version of Mike Scott, that's nice but it can easily be replaced. The main reason why he was traded for is because Bud and the Hawks thought they were closer to being legitimate finals contenders and he didn't want to have to put time in developing a rookie. The Hawks realized he was wrong, and thus he was overruled in attempting to trade their picks again and they picked up three wing players in the draft this year.

They also had two wings (Korver and Thabo) coming off of season ending injuries and surgery.

23 minutes ago, Lurker said:

thus he was overruled in attempting to trade their picks again...

This is confusing?

Who wanted to trade this years picks and who was overruled?

The only trading of picks was to trade #12 and #21 to move up for a higher pick but they had no trade partners.

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is confusing?

Who wanted to trade this years picks and who was overruled?

The only trading of picks was to trade #12 and #21 to move up for a higher pick but they had no trade partners.

There was several rumors out there that they were going to trade the picks away entirely again this year.

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

There was several rumors out there that they were going to trade the picks away entirely again this year.

Like ypu said RUMOR, and that didn't make ANY sense.  

But the way your comment was written like it was a statement of fact that Bud wanted to trade them but he was overruled. I'm just asking where you pulled that from.

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Like ypu said RUMOR, and that didn't make ANY sense.  

But the way your comment was written like it was a statement of fact that Bud wanted to trade them but he was overruled. I'm just asking where you pulled that from.

Yeah, Stein was putting all them false rumors out.  Don't blame Lurk for believing him.  Well, he is a BSPN guy so everything they say should be taken with a grain mountain of salt.

Lastly, U mad Bird? :happy: