• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2016 Dynasty Draft Official Thread

AHF

11 minutes ago, pimp said:

in an effort to keep things moving..
im gonna take Tyreke Evans
AGE - 26p6_237_8884.png15.2 pts - 6.6 ast - 5.2 reb    
Missed most of the season with a knee injury.. If healthy, he will be a nice playmaker off the bench.
We will use him as  a second unit point foward, so when Ben Simmons comes out of the game,there wont , be any changes in our playing style .

So you continued the Rudy Gay type player trend huh....:-| 

20 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Since we're doing Rudysquawk to kill the time, I'll add my two shekels.

Active NBA Players on my Big Board go through, first, a Pseudo-Objective Screen based on stats that aren't really PER/PIE/TS/WS or that stuff, but weights the stats (squaring and cubing and whatnot) and mimics those efficiency stats based on whatever I feel is valuable.

Then, there's a Do Whatever The Heck I Want Screen, where I subjectively factor in Age/Rookies&Newbies/Potential/Trending/TeamContext/Coaching/DepthChart/DefensiveEffort/PoliceBlotter/EyeTest to establish my final Big Board rankings. I'm one of those Anti-Rudy conspirators, so it's at this stage when I do my submerging to the extent rational.

On my final Big Board, Rudy landed at #137. He went at #128, so that's sounds about right.

On my aforementioned Pseudo-Objective Screen (P.O.S., which stands for something else entirely), though, Gay's score ranked him at #69, dude! Among the 40 unretired and healthy-ish players who averaged 17 PPG last season, he ranked 30th. All of those 40 players have been drafted, naturally, and most of them, including a pair on my P.O.S. ranked below him, were snatched up in the opening couple rounds.

One of the ingredients in the gumbo of stats that sorta helps his cause on the P.O.S.-meter is season-long plus/minus. That stat unfairly punishes players mired in persistently bad lineups, but tends to punish even more those who are culprits of poor defense. Rudy's -1.2 +/- stat is subpar among this subgroup  of scorers (33rd out of 40), but not as bad as one might imagine it is, especially on a Kings squad that hemorrhages points to its foes.

Rudy's 1.4 steals and 0.7 blocks per game from last season are even slightly above the reigning King of Cleveland. Moreso than defense, it's really a paucity of assists (1.7 per game, 37th out of 40) that drags his overall efficiency down.

In sum, I think if you're in rounds 7 through 9 and needed scoring, it's hard to pass him up. Even though that's what I tend to do.

~lw3

The main reasons I only look at stats and do not allow them to be my tie breaker is when players like Towns are ranked 24th in W/S and a PG like Isaiah Thomas is ranked almost a 100 spots better than Kyrie Irving in TS%. Is there really 23 players someone would take over KAT, and is Isaiah Thomas that much better than Irving?

Anyone with half a brain would say hell no. But if you use only those stats as your measuring points in wins vs losses, a smart drafter who knows how to read can pad the hell out of their stats by taking average to good players in the later rounds of a draft.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

• Moderators

While I'm revealing a little about my Big Board, Reke is now the 9th player taken at the exact spot I had them ranked on my Big Board. Buzzard has three such players (Harden/Wall/Faried), while pimp has two (Davis/Reke). Spud apparently has spies peeking into my cubicle. Five of his picks were within 5 spots of my Big Board projections, including KCP who was right on-the-nose.

~lw3 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

The main reasons I only look at stats and do not allow them to be my tie breaker is when players like Towns are ranked 24th in W/S and a PG like Isaiah Thomas is ranked almost a 100 spots better than Kyrie Irving in TS%. Is there really 23 players who one would take over KAT, and is Isaiah Thomas that much better than Irving?

Anyone with half a brain would say hell no. But if you use only those stats as your measuring points in wins vs losses, a smart drafter who knows how to read can pad the hell out of their stats by taking average to good players in the later rounds of a draft.

They would say that Isaiah Thomas is a better shooter than Irving - and they would be right.  They really aren't that far apart as overall players.  Neither is  a very good defender.  Neither really does a great job running the offense.  Both are similar performing scoring points.

Re Towns, he was a rookie.  If his career peak was last season, he wouldn't be justifiable as #1.  He should be much better in the future which puts his top 25 finish in the right context:  top 25 and with a ton of room to improve.  Sign me up for that!

On Gay, his numbers against other 17+ ppg scorers are similar over a 3 year span as well - near the  bottom in terms of PER and WS/48 and bottom third in TS%.  He has never been on a team that won much or that you can make a case that he elevated.  I think there are valid arguments both ways on him that don't revolve around some kind of agenda against him.  Fine pick at this point in the draft but totally understandable why people might pass on his volume scoring.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

While I'm revealing a little about my Big Board, Reke is now the 9th player taken at the exact spot I had them ranked on my Big Board. Buzzard has three such players (Harden/Wall/Faried), while pimp has two (Davis/Reke). Spud apparently has spies peeking into my cubicle. Five of his picks were within 5 spots of my Big Board projections, including KCP who was right on-the-nose.

~lw3 

Lol...don't you know I'm a computer genius...:-/ NOT! 

I'm really happy about that because I think highly of your bball mind.

16 minutes ago, AHF said:

They would say that Isaiah Thomas is a better shooter than Irving - and they would be right.  They really aren't that far apart as overall players.  Neither is  a very good defender.  Neither really does a great job running the offense.  Both are similar performing scoring points.

Re Towns, he was a rookie.  If his career peak was last season, he wouldn't be justifiable as #1.  He should be much better in the future which puts his top 25 finish in the right context:  top 25 and with a ton of room to improve.  Sign me up for that!

On Gay, his numbers against other 17+ ppg scorers are similar over a 3 year span as well - near the  bottom in terms of PER and WS/48 and bottom third in TS%.  He has never been on a team that won much or that you can make a case that he elevated.  I think there are valid arguments both ways on him that don't revolve around some kind of agenda against him.  Fine pick at this point in the draft but totally understandable why people might pass on his volume scoring.

What you are saying though is Gay would get the same number of shots on a much deeper team. We are only playing with 16 teams and our player pool is 30 teams deep. I don't see Gay as the primary scorer on any of these teams.

At best he would be the 3rd wheel on most of these teams even if he was starting. Unless you are thinking the coach would allow him to get mores shots than Durant, Bron, Harden, Curry, etc....I personally would fire my coach if he let that happen.

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators

Ashley and I are excited to announce the 135th pick in the draft.  We wanted to add a young guard capable of running the point to develop behind Lowry but with deadly perimeter accuracy and we think we found our man.  As a freshman last season, he had the most 3pters of any freshman in NCAA history after Stephen Curry and did it shooting over 40% from range.  He made both his conference and the national All-American teams and was projected to be a top pick in the draft.  He scored the most points of any player in a single season among all the star studded beasts to come out from under John Calipari at UK (including Anthony Davis, KAT, John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, etc.)  At this point in the draft, we think he will be a sniper for years to come in the league and we are excited to grab a young and talented cat.

C - A - T - S

C - A  - T - S

t1_judd_getty.jpg

With our 9th pick and the 135th pick overall, the U-Niques select combo guard:

Jamal Murray

1949952a8b7d9d78d7750fb304cf7528.jpg

We're also excited to see how many trips to the line Murray can rack up because he should be shooting close to 90% from the stripe.  We think he'll add some nice spacing to the floor and can't wait to see him join our club.  Welcome aboard Mr. Murray!

@JayBirdHawk is on the clock

• Like 2

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, pimp said:

in an effort to keep things moving..
im gonna take Tyreke Evans
AGE - 26p6_237_8884.png15.2 pts - 6.6 ast - 5.2 reb    
Missed most of the season with a knee injury.. If healthy, he will be a nice playmaker off the bench.
We will use him as  a second unit point foward, so when Ben Simmons comes out of the game,there wont , be any changes in our playing style .

I really wanted to draft Tyreke but after reading that he won't be ready for the beginning of the season, I opted for a healthy, injury-prone Alec Burks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Ashley and I are excited to announce the 135th pick in the draft.  We wanted to add a young guard capable of running the point to develop behind Lowry but with deadly perimeter accuracy and we think we found our man.  As a freshman last season, he had the most 3pters of any freshman in NCAA history after Stephen Curry and did it shooting over 40% from range.  He made both his conference and the national All-American teams and was projected to be a top pick in the draft.  He scored the most points of any player in a single season among all the star studded beasts to come out from under John Calipari at UK (including Anthony Davis, KAT, John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, etc.)  At this point in the draft, we think he will be a sniper for years to come in the league and we are excited to grab a young and talented cat.

C - A - T - S

C - A  - T - S

t1_judd_getty.jpg

With our 9th pick and the 135th pick overall, the U-Niques select combo guard:

Jamal Murray

1949952a8b7d9d78d7750fb304cf7528.jpg

We're also excited to see how many trips to the line Murray can rack up because he should be shooting close to 90% from the stripe.  We think he'll add some nice spacing to the floor and can't wait to see him join our club.  Welcome aboard Mr. Murray!

@JayBirdHawk is on the clock

Denver needs some scoring punch from their guards. He is going to get a chance to play right off the bat. Great pick!

With my next pick, the JayBird Lady Squawkers select:

Allen Lester Crabbe: SG, 6'-6", 210lbs, 24 years

He came out of nowhere this past season and parlayed that into a lucrative 4year/$75 million dollar contract.

JayBird Lady Squawkers thus far:

PG: Mike Conley/Dante Exum

SG: Khris Middleton/Allen Crabbe

SF: Paul George/Justice Winslow

PF: Jabari Parker

C: Steven Adams

@TheFuzz is on the clock.

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

With my next pick, the JayBird Lady Squawkers select:

Allen Lester Crabbe: SG, 6'-6", 210lbs, 24 years

He came out of nowhere this past season and parlayed that into a lucrative 4year/$75 million dollar contract.

JayBird Lady Squawkers thus far:

PG: Mike Conley/Dante Exum

SG: Khris Middleton/Allen Crabbe

SF: Paul George/Justice Winslow

PF: Jabari Parker

C: Steven Adams

@TheFuzz is on the clock.

I like Crabbe. Say him play a few years back at Cal. I think he was a big reason the Blazers did so well last year. He spread the floor for baby Dame. Lol. Nice pick!

• Moderators
1 minute ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Say, @AHF, is there a 2-Hour Warning Clock on for @TheFuzz and @LucastheThird? Enquiring minds want to know!

~lw3

Yes - for @TheFuzz - he has two hours for his pick before we move on since he missed his last two and hasn't selected.  @LucastheThird gets the full clock since he made his pick and has caught up.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2016 at 10:48 PM, TheFuzz said:

Deepest apologies, I'll need to bow out for another week, I'm running all over the place right now. I can either pick from scraps afterwords, or someone can replace me.

I suck, shame on my family.

The Fuzz said the above on Monday; which I took to mean next Monday he will be back. Are we still going to wait?

Sorry @AHF just saw your post on the two hour wait.

Edited by Buzzard

56 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

~lw3 

I am too predictable, going to have to shake things up with my next two picks!

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1