• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2016 Dynasty Draft Official Thread

AHF

With the 173rd pick in the Squawk fantasy draft, standing at 5'11 and 171 pounds, the Spuders or apparently the newly inserted JUDDsters(lol) select:

Billy Donovan

After a college career at providence as a player, he played under Rick Pitino with the NY Knicks in the 80's and even though his NBA career as a player was was brief and not so glamorous, he learned a lot from Pitino and followed him to Kentucky as an assistant. Soon after, he took the Florida Gators job and was very successful with them. Stayed there 20 years and was a back to back champ in the ncaa which isn't an easy feat by any means.

He finally decided to try the challenge of coaching in the NBA and even though many coaches that succeed in college, fail in the NBA, he doesn't seem to be fazed whatsoever and his coaching style translates very well. Given his loyalty with the Gators, we feel as though he would be a great coach for many years for the Spudsters. At 51 years of age, we are hoping he becomes a staple to our organization as Pop has become for the Lady Squawkers and the Spurs.

Welcome Billy Donovan. 

Ps He was on my short list of coaches and I felt I needed to grab him ASAP with everyone grabbing coaches.

@Diesel is on the clock!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

With the 173rd pick in the Squawk fantasy draft, standing at 5'11 and 171 pounds, the Spuders or apparently the newly inserted JUDDsters(lol) select:

Billy Donovan

After a college career at providence as a player, he played under Rick Pitino with the NY Knicks in the 80's and even though his NBA career as a player was was brief and not so glamorous, he learned a lot from Pitino and followed him to Kentucky as an assistant. Soon after, he took the Florida Gators job and was very successful with them. Stayed there 20 years and was a back to back champ in the ncaa which isn't an easy feat by any means.

He finally decided to try the challenge of coaching in the NBA and even though many coaches that succeed in college, fail in the NBA, he doesn't seem to be fazed whatsoever and his coaching style translates very well. Given his loyalty with the Gators, we feel as though he would be a great coach for many years for the Spudsters. At 51 years of age, we are hoping he becomes a staple to our organization as Pop has become for the Lady Squawkers and the Spurs.

Welcome Billy Donovan. 

Ps He was on my short list of coaches and I felt I needed to grab him ASAP with everyone grabbing coaches.

@Diesel is on the clock!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

you stole my coach :hmm:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

With the Next Pick in the draft, the Atlanta GanstaSlappas select:

AL JEFFERSON, Center 

la-sp-nba-al-jefferson-suspended-2015121

What does Al think about being a GanstaSlappa?

@Buzzard is on the clock. 

Jefferson is a great get this late. My pick will be in soon!

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

With the 174th pick in the draft the flocking Buzzards select F  Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. This guy has been the Steph Curry poster child for injuries since entering the league; but similar to Steph the talent and heart he has is in abundance. I feel like we really had no choice but to take this former #2 pick in the 2012 draft. We like his size, strength, athletic ability, and versatility to play both forward spots; and at just 22 he is young enough to still have plenty of room for improvement.

Welcome to the Flock Mr. Kidd-Gilchrist!

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist #14 of the Charlotte Hornets looks on during the game against the Miami Heat on February 5, 2016 at Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, North Carolina.

@HopefulHawksFan is on the clock!

Good pick ... you were in need of some D at the wing

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Good pick ... you were in need of some D at the wing

Thanks and yes my team is weak defensively. If, if, if Michael can start putting in full seasons he is a steal this late. 1/3 of my team is looking like a IR list from last year, Jrue, Parsons, Kidd-Gilchrist, Embiid, but this is also why I got some of them so late. They pan out, I am good, not so much if they don't.

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators

50 picks remaining!

With three rounds to go, the following Squawk GMs will need to pick a coach during the final 3 rounds:

• HopefulHawksFan (4 picks left)
  • Buzzard
  • Diesel
  • LucastheThird
  • Whoever Picks for TheFuzz
  • AHF
  • pimp
  • PSSSHHHRRR87

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, AHF said:

Only 3 players left on this list by my count. While I grant that none of these guys would qualify as a head-turner, if some of you upcoming GMs are in need of a guard or wings, you'd probably be smart to check out the remaining three on this list, before AHF picks on TheFuzz's behalf.

~lw3

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

With the 174th pick in the draft the flocking Buzzards select F  Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. This guy has been the Steph Curry poster child for injuries since entering the league; but similar to Steph the talent and heart he has is in abundance. I feel like we really had no choice but to take this former #2 pick in the 2012 draft. We like his size, strength, athletic ability, and versatility to play both forward spots; and at just 22 he is young enough to still have plenty of room for improvement.

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist #14 of the Charlotte Hornets looks on during the game against the Miami Heat on February 5, 2016 at Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, North Carolina.

He was on my target list of players. Good pick. If he ever develops a jumper, he's gonna be pretty good. Also, he needs to play in more games imo, but I know you can't stop injuries.

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

Btw, the was pick 175, not 174 lol

14 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

He was on my target list of players. Good pick. If he ever develops a jumper, he's gonna be pretty good. Also, he needs to play in more games imo, but I know you can't stop injuries.

Kidd-Gilchrist had been on my list for a while too.  I picked him for his defense and rebounding; plus he was a top 5 talent coming out of High School and College. If he can stay on the floor, I think he will be able to do the things he has already shown he is capable of throughout his basketball career.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Kidd-Gilchrist had been on my list for a while too.  I picked him for his defense and rebounding; plus he was a top 5 talent coming out of High School and College. If he can stay on the floor, I think he will be able to do the things he has already shown he is capable of throughout his basketball career.

I think it is a great pick at this point in the draft.  Even if he just does what he has already done he will be worth it but he has the potential for more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think it is a great pick at this point in the draft.  Even if he just does what he has already done he will be worth it but he has the potential for more.

I was pleasantly surprised you let me take at least one former Wildcat this late in the draft!

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1