• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hall of Famer... Dwight Howard.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Looking at the following article got me excited...

The three-time Defensive Player of the Year has a resume that should book him a ticket to the Hall of Fame, including five All-NBA First Team selections and a 2009 NBA Finals run that he anchored and led and two years removed from being named to the All-NBA Second Team.

I haven't taken the time to list all of the accolades of our newest addition, however, I think he's a lock for the HOF.

Here's the thought...

If you took all of our Centers.  From Dwight to Horford to Theo to Dikembe to Koncak to Tree  ... and I guess we will stop at Tree.  How do they rank??

Secondly...  Is Dwight on the same level as Dominique in terms of League popularity?

• Moderators

I don't think you can rank Dwight until he actually plays in Atlanta.  Proof is in the pudding.  If you are talking about greatest career for a Hawks center, so far it goes to Moses Malone primarily for his MVP and championship in Philadelphia.  In terms of ranking Atlanta players, though, I prefer to just look at what they did while wearing a Hawks jersey.

In terms of 'league popularity' as a proxy for highest profile player, then I think you are right that Dwight is already the next biggest name since Nique.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

That's fair.   I do remember the promises of Reggie Theus, Gary Payton, Antwan Walker, and Terrell Brandon.   However, I'm excited about the fact that Dwight wants to win. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

That's fair.   I do remember the promises of Reggie Theus, Gary Payton, Antwan Walker, and Terrell Brandon.   However, I'm excited about the fact that Dwight wants to win. 

I think the fan base is energized.  If the Hawks come out of the gates strong, this could be a banner year for attendance.

• Like 3

I've always been a huge proponent of having at least one future HOFer if you want to build a championship-level roster.  As disappointing as his career has been in spots he's still a slam dunk first-balloter, at prime age, along with Melo.  In this case as a beggar I can't be choosy.  

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I've always been a huge proponent of having at least one future HOFer if you want to build a championship-level roster.  As disappointing as his career has been in spots he's still a slam dunk first-balloter, at prime age, along with Melo.  In this case as a beggar I can't be choosy.  

Right now, I will take Dwight all day over Melo. Not hating on Melo, I just think father time will catch up with him a little quicker than Dwight.

For anybody that cares, here's a compilation clip of some of Howard's recent workouts that was posted 2 days ago. The most interesting part to me starts around the :45 second mark, where he throws two backboard lobs to himself and throws them down. In the 2nd one especially it looks like Dwight still has those old-school hops. 

• Like 3

I must have missed this one too, from a few weeks ago. Some good stuff scattered throughout. LOL'd when they asked him if he was excited to play with German Chocolate! And I did really like near the end when he made it a point of emphasis that he wasn't here to be "The Man," but was more focused on being a member of the Hawks and really looking forward to the team environment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

For anybody that cares, here's a compilation clip of some of Howard's recent workouts that was posted 2 days ago. The most interesting part to me starts around the :45 second mark, where he throws two backboard lobs to himself and throws them down. In the 2nd one especially it looks like Dwight still has those old-school hops. 

Love the video. Is it me or is his shot from outside looking 10x's smoother? I'm not too surprised though, Bud influence right there. The entire video is awesome except for him swimming. I think I could lap him twice. Lol. He swims like a freakin idiot. My bad Dwight! 

1 hour ago, kurupt said:

The height on his 2 dunks is the most important thing for me. That is peak Dwight athleticism and that alone will guarantee a 20/12/3/3 season for him with a great team around him. If he can add a semi-decent shot from up to 16 feet and shoot 60+% on free throws, we are looking at an MVP candidate. I also have no doubt that he will have 3 more very good years, if he still has that much hops left.

I am calling it now: steal of the Free Agency 2016...and yes ,that includes KD to the Warriors.

Who the hell was Alcia?!

Are the 3 and 3 assists and blocks?

I think:

18ppg

12rpg

2 apg

2 bpg

1 spg

On 7/25/2016 at 5:23 PM, AHF said:

I think the fan base is energized.  If the Hawks come out of the gates strong, this could be a banner year for attendance.

Well Wal-mart needs to figure that out. I needed a new hat and tried finding a Hawks ball cap....not there...settled on a pretty cool UGA one, but never even occurred to me they wouldn't have Hawks apparel in stock.

On July 30, 2016 at 5:01 AM, RandomFan said:

On July 30, 2016 at 5:52 AM, RandomFan said:

I must have missed this one too, from a few weeks ago. Some good stuff scattered throughout. LOL'd when they asked him if he was excited to play with German Chocolate! And I did really like near the end when he made it a point of emphasis that he wasn't here to be "The Man," but was more focused on being a member of the Hawks and really looking forward to the team environment.

D8 is really impressive so far during this off season...can't wait to see him prove it on the court!

6 hours ago, Thomas said:

Maybe Dwight can help Edy out in the weight room and with a protein meal plan. 

Edy has already put on some serious weight over the last two years. He's not skinny anymore. He could put on a few more pounds still, but he's getting there.

I don't think Howard should go down as a Hall of Famer so quickly. Unless he does big things here in Atlanta I think he will be remembered mostly as a failure. The way his runs with Orlando, LA and Houston ended has already overshadowed his achievements. He never really improved his game either.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

I don't think Howard should go down as a Hall of Famer so quickly. Unless he does big things here in Atlanta I think he will be remembered mostly as a failure. The way his runs with Orlando, LA and Houston ended has already overshadowed his achievements. He never really improved his game either.

If you got guys like Rodman in the hall of fame, then Howard has a place.  He was a MVP runner up and he has been on the all NBA team three times.. not to mention DPOY 3 times.  Those are hard to overshadow.  Moreover, the hall of fame is not about improving your game.   Melo is going to be a first ballot hall of famer and his game has never improved.   However, I would love to see Howard add leading a team to an NBA championship on that list. 

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

If you got guys like Rodman in the hall of fame, then Howard has a place.  He was a MVP runner up and he has been on the all NBA team three times.. not to mention DPOY 3 times.  Those are hard to overshadow.  Moreover, the hall of fame is not about improving your game.   Melo is going to be a first ballot hall of famer and his game has never improved.   However, I would love to see Howard add leading a team to an NBA championship on that list. 

Lol...not quite! Rodman was a 5 time NBA champion that included a back to back with the bad boys and 3 in a row with the Bulls. Howard has no rings..

yet