• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Roundtable....

Diesel

6 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

On 8/9/2016 at 7:21 AM, Diesel said:

Let's move on to Rowlands

After we signed Dwight, I would have loved to kept Horford and Sapp.   However, based on words from IThomas, it seems that Horford had been considering a move to Boston for a while.  All season long, it seems like he was playing not to get hurt.  Maybe he understood that he had this possibility in place and was more concerned with his offseason than our regular and postseason.  It's treasonous.   Sometimes when somebody walks out of your life, the best thing you can do is let them go.  This is certainly true for Horf.  Understand that Horf will probably start off on fire for the Celtics because he has what he wants now.   However, We Hawks fans can't dial it back or even hate our ownership because Horf had different plans. 

I hate that phrase. The key to not getting hurt is playing within the fundamentals of the position. Al was constantly away from the basket, out of position, then having to crash in whenever he felt he needed a rebound. Those are the plays you get hurt on. Just playing it straight is the safest and best thing to do. Establish early position, box out, get that rebound. That is by far the safest thing a big man can do. Offensively, set up early deep in the post. Make one or less fakes and go quick to the basket. Again, incredibly safe and effective. I have never been a strong fan of Al, though I've mustered enough to be a good soldier and say nice things. His departure allows me the space to point out his failings.

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

I hate that phrase. The key to not getting hurt is playing within the fundamentals of the position. Al was constantly away from the basket, out of position, then having to crash in whenever he felt he needed a rebound. Those are the plays you get hurt on. Just playing it straight is the safest and best thing to do. Establish early position, box out, get that rebound. That is by far the safest thing a big man can do. Offensively, set up early deep in the post. Make one or less fakes and go quick to the basket. Again, incredibly safe and effective. I have never been a strong fan of Al, though I've mustered enough to be a good soldier and say nice things. His departure allows me the space to point out his failings.

I tend to disagree.  Floating around the perimeter is the safest and best thing to do if a big(sic) is trying to stay healthy.  That's what he did and that's why people say he was playing not to get hurt.  The comments suggesting he made up his mind around the all-star break only bolster that position IMHO.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

He and his father bitched for years about how he didn't want to play center anymore, but the bottom line is that he wouldn't take a little less money in order to make it happen (while also improving the talent on the team in the process), and so he decided that he wasn't  giving up shit. He wasn't the person that I and many others thought he was. He revealed his true colors of the last few years.

He actually took less money to go to the celtics right?   So yea he wanted to go and i think he realizes what hawks coaches knew all along.  He's best at center.

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

He actually took less money to go to the celtics right?   So yea he wanted to go and i think he realizes what hawks coaches knew all along.  He's best at center.

He took more per year to go to the Celtics.  Not a big gap but a little more per year.  The contract was one year shorter so it is less total dollars but I am pretty sure he thinks it was the higher $$ value - particularly since it has an opt out where he can choose to stay under contract if he thinks he can't get more or to opt out and get another contract if he thinks the time is right.  For the $$, the Celtics offer was better, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

He took more per year to go to the Celtics.  Not a big gap but a little more per year.  The contract was one year shorter so it is less total dollars but I am pretty sure he thinks it was the higher $$ value - particularly since it has an opt out where he can choose to stay under contract if he thinks he can't get more or to opt out and get another contract if he thinks the time is right.  For the $$, the Celtics offer was better, IMO.

Dollars per year the Celtics put up more and if he was younger and had no injury history it was better. But if Al gets hurt one more time that ends his season, he may not be getting more with an opt out. He has had an 11 game season and a 29 game season in the past four years. One more of those and a 20 mill per year future contract is all but out the door; especially if it happens in his 30s.

I have said this more than once, I think our offer was fair. Al did not want to be here and he walked.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 3

Al's contract with the Celtics is 4 years $113M with an average yearly salary of $28.3M and a player option for the 4th year. Hawks were supposedly offering 5 years $136M with an average yearly salary of $27.2M. Thus, in order for the Celtics offer to have at least the same $ value as the Hawks, Al will have to be able to get a contract starting at ~$23M (over 20% of the current salary cap) in the 5th year when he is turning 35 years old. I think that is a HUGE gamble by Al. He straight up just chose the Celtics over the Hawks - nothing more to it really. Both contracts were reasonable and quite comparable imo.

Edited by Bankingitbig
  • Like 1

Back to the round table discussion.............

Hawks Roundtable: What role will rookies Taurean Prince and DeAndre Bembry play on the team next season?

e Atlanta Hawks spent a pair of first round picks on a couple of wing players in the 2016 NBA Draft. What role will Taurean Prince and DeAndre Bembrey play next season? If you have missed any of our previous roundtable discussions you can find them all here in this StoryStream.

What role will rookies Taurean Prince and DeAndre Bembry play on the team next season?

(Kris Willis): Given the current roster situation, I think it is unlikely that either rookie opens the season in the starting rotation. However, it is a long season and both could eventually get an opportunity to stick. Between the two, I think Taurean Prince has the best chance to play meaningful minutes this season but I could see both being key pieces for the team as soon as next season. Barring an unforeseen trade, it could be difficult for both to make their mark this season.

(Brad Rowland): By the end of the year, one of the rookies could crack the rotation, but in the beginning, I see a fringe role. Mike Budenholzer famously deploys a deep bench at times during the regular season, which should open up some opportunities for both Price and Bembry. Still, there are at least three wings (Bazemore, Korver, Sefolosha) that are solidly ahead of both first-year guys as the season opens, and I expect Atlanta to give Tim Hardaway Jr. a relatively long leash as well. I’m a fan of both rookies, but expectations for immediate impact should be greatly tempered based on what we know about Mike Budenholzer’s coaching style and the general production of rookies.

(Harry Lyles): Their play early in the season will be key in how much burn they get later on in the year. I could see Prince having a bigger impact early than Bembry, but I wouldn’t be surprised by great success from either. With that said, the NBA game is another beast, and there’s going to be some ugly moments for both where they’ll have to learn. It goes for every NBA rookie, and these guys will be no different. But I think we can expect a spark off the bench every now and then from either of them, but not as frequent as any of us would like.

(Josh Lane): I see them fighting for a primary role in the bench rotation. I do not think they are starting day 1.

(Chris Herbert): Both players come with the draft tag of “NBA ready”, so I believe they will both see minutes this season. How many minutes? Probably not a ton. The Hawks have a plethora of forwards in Millsap, Sefolosha, Scott, Muscala, and Humphries. Fighting for minutes against productive veterans like these will be tough. Some stints in the D-League are inevitable. I would like to see Prince and Bembry play in some small ball lineups this season as their positional versatility is intriguing.

(Thomas Jenkins): I’m sure we’ll see them both play, although I doubt it will be for substantial minutes unless there are some serious injuries. This is a situation where the Hawks would benefit from having a D-League team, although that’s perhaps a separate issue. Personally, I’d love to see these two play as much as would be healthy for the team. Their development has to be a priority for the Hawks, and their futures are critical for the team’s long-term prospects.

(Preston Mott): I really don't see them having much of a role if any this upcoming season. Barring injuries, it's going to be hard for them to get playing time over Korver, THJ, Thabo, and Bazemore. They may get garbage minutes from time to time, similar to what we saw with Edy last season, but as far as cracking the regular rotation--I just don't see it

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/8/12/12450622/atlanta-hawks-taurean-prince-deandre-bembry-role-2016

Just now, macdaddy said:

Why does Herbert thing they will be fighting Sap, Hump, Moose, and Scott for time?   They are wings not PFs.  

I think Prince could play some spot minutes at pf but mainly a SF ...I think they are morons to answer your initial question lol

• Moderators

Comparing them to Edy is just dumb as well.  Edy was playing behind All-Stars in Sap and Horford.  Our wings last year sucked badly for most of  the season.  Edy came late to basketball and was extremely raw - he was all about tools not production; Prince played 4 years of college and Bembry 3 years on top of a lifetime playing the game so they are much more advanced.

Bad comparison for maturity of their games as well as the competition for minutes.

• Like 3

Just feels like Prince is more custom ready for our system than most other rookies in their situations. Thinking he gets a good amount of time on the floor by the home stretch heading for the playoffs and he will be a pretty good two way player by then. Certainly by next season. Believe Bud got exactly what he wanted. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Just feels like Prince is more custom ready for our system than most other rookies in their situations. Thinking he gets a good amount of time on the floor by the home stretch heading for the playoffs and he will be a pretty good two way player by then. Certainly by next season. Believe Bud got exactly what he wanted. 

If Prince can bring that college 3pt range and make it work in the NBA, he is a keeper. I like Bembry as well for his slashing style and rebounding, if Bembry can cause some matchup havoc and Hardaway Jr. does not pan out, I can see Bud giving him a little time at SG this year.

lol. Go read. I'm Anthony B. Hurley.

He thinks I have my  opinions of Al because "Al hurt my feelings". 

He doesn't know me very well at all. lol

I always thought it was because you grew up under large power wires or the evil mining company in town polluted the water supply. Or because you have all those teeth and it makes you ornery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

I always thought it was because you grew up under large power wires or the evil mining company in town polluted the water supply. Or because you have all those teeth and it makes you ornery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He got all dem teeth and no toothbrush. Lol

On 8/12/2016 at 0:31 PM, Spud2Nique said:

I'm predicting it's going to be tough to keep Prince off the floor. He will fight for minutes.

I hope so. He needs to beat out Thabo. Thabo hasn't played a full season in years. Prince got the size advantage too. Maybe Prince won't have to wait until 2017-18 to be the backup SF.

42 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

I hope so. He needs to beat out Thabo. Thabo hasn't played a full season in years. Prince got the size advantage too. Maybe Prince won't have to wait until 2017-18 to be the backup SF.

:blink: Thabo didn't play a full season because the NY Police department bounced him off a car hood and cracked his leg with a baton.  I think that hardly counts as injury prone.

12 hours ago, thecampster said:

:blink: Thabo didn't play a full season because the NY Police department bounced him off a car hood and cracked his leg with a baton.  I think that hardly counts as injury prone.

Look at his time in OKC and Chicago.

3 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

Look at his time in OKC and Chicago.

82, 79, 42 (Lockout season, Total 66 games played and he also played a few games for Euro league team during lickout),  81, 61 - those are the total nbr of games played per season in OKC.