• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

New Nickname for Philips Arena

This Peachtreehoops article thinks we should have a new nickname for Philips.  Long gone are 'The Highlight Factory' days.

Back in the Mike Woodson era, the Atlanta Hawks had young, bouncy athletes, led by Josh Smith, blazing up and down the floor in transition. In celebration of the athletic feats, Philips Arena was given the apt nickname of "The Highlight Factory." With Al Horford leaving for Boston (moment of silence), so leaves the last member of "The Highlight Factory."

Since the Mike Budenholzer became the steward of Atlanta’s ship, Philips Arenas’ nickname has been used less and less. Philips Arena needs a new moniker to reflect both the Spurs-ian system and/or the Hawks commitment to the city and community of Atlanta.

Let’s throw some nickname ideas on the wall and hope one sticks

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/9/9/12844114/phillips-arena-needs-a-new-nickname

The list they (or fans) came up with are horrible. Names such as "The Waffle House of Basketball" and "Hooplanta".....eeeech. 

I think the Squawk can do better.....

What say you Squawkers?

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

How bout:

"The Collaboratorium" (we play team ball)

or

"Swipe Right Arena"

Oddly enough, I actually like both of these.  I would've went with the 'Collaboratory'.

'Swipe Right Arena' needs to happen like yesterday.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

How bout:

"The Collaboratorium" (we play team ball)

or

"Swipe Right Arena"

I like it but trying saying and explaining the first one if you are drinking for the game. I'm not really sure what would come out. 

7 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

I like it but trying saying and explaining the first one if you are drinking for the game. I'm not really sure what would come out. 

C*m....lol

(I'm a big slurer when I drink lol)

Edited by Spud2Nique

Yeah Phillips will always be the Highlight Factory. Highlights are more than just the Josh Smith dunks and Horford Ally oops. Highlights are the moments when our fans are standing on their feet rocking the entire arena. Also the name lends itself allusions to Nique' aka "The Human Highlight Reel" and his greatness for the organization.

We in Atlanta always complain about not having cool nicknames for sports teams and places, we finally have a good one, and we want to change it because players left town? Players will always leave. We can't switch up the nickname everytime we lose big free agents. Nicknames are earned not given and the Highlight Factory is an earned nickname. So it stays,  sorry.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think we are going to see plenty of highlight dunks this season anyway.  Lose Al Horford and add oop beast Howard and now want to ditch the Highlight moniker?  Nope.  I expect more highlights this season with Howard blocks and dunks.  Hope it doesn't come with a dip in defensive shape/awareness.