• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Big trade about to go down

Admin

In reply to:

AP Source: Knicks close to acquiring Marbury from Suns

By CHRIS SHERIDAN, AP Basketball Writer

January 5, 2004

NEW YORK (AP) -- Stephon Marbury would return to his hometown as part of a multiplayer trade tentatively agreed to Monday by the New York Knicks and Phoenix Suns, a source told The Associated Press.

The Knicks would acquire Marbury and Penny Hardaway from Phoenix for Antonio McDyess, Howard Eisley, Charlie Ward, the rights to Milos Vujanic and cash, according to the source, who is close to one of the players and spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity.

Another source, close to one of the teams, said there were additional players involved.

The trade would be the fifth of Marbury's career. The Brooklyn native was drafted by Milwaukee and immediately traded to Minnesota, where he subsequently forced a trade to New Jersey.

The Nets sent him to Phoenix for Jason Kidd, and he now could be headed to the Knicks in the first major move made by new team president Isiah Thomas.

If the trade is finalized, it would represent a major shakeup of both teams. Phoenix, in exchange for its best player, would be gaining salary cap flexibility that would allow the Suns to rebuild a team that was eliminated in the first round of the playoffs last season after missing the postseason a year earlier.

The contracts of McDyess and Ward expire at the end of this season, and Ward has a buyout clause that can be exercised before Jan. 10. Eisley is under contract for three more seasons; Vujanic, the starting point guard on the Yugoslavian team that won the 2002 World Championships, is playing in Europe.

[censored], why couldnt we have done something to try and get Marbury. Adding him would instantly make us a playoff team I believe.

• Premium Member

IF it happens, Isiah is a GENUIS....

He would have traded away CAP space for the second best PG in the game.

Phoenix gets a truckload of capspace... However, the question is... What are they after?

Kobe?

I don't see it but who knows.

With:

Stoudamire/Marion The Phoenix Suns would have 2 decent foundation players.

I say start ringing the praises of Isiah!!!!

The Suns also got two first round picks. NY's 2004 first round pick and a conditional first rounder in the years to come.

I think this a good trade for Phoenix. Capspace and picks.

As for NY I don't think it is going to make them that much better. They just get name recognition player in Marbury. Don't get me wrong Marbury is a stud. But, he isn't going to save that franchise. They will still have limited flexibility with the cap and no picks now. I like Isiah shaking things up, but in the end they may gain a few more wins. Just my opinion.

You didn't get in on the deal because you don't have anything we'd want.

On the surface, it looks like a nice trade for NY but Isaih had to give up a [censored] of a lot for Marbs. Dyess and Ward will clear almost $20 million from the cap at seasons end. They had to add 2 first rounders, 1 being a possible lottery pick this year. They also had to include the rights to Vujanic who is supposed to be a stud in Europe.

Looks like Marbury and KVH are reunnited.

• Premium Member

Sunsfan, you are the funniest lurker I have ever seen....

There's nothing really good about this deal for Phoenix.

Yes you get 1 first rounder and a second one is conditional...

What you can expect is that you will get:

the number 20 pick of the draft this year (weak draft year). and in 2 maybe three years, you get another 20.

The good news is that your own pick should remain Lottery.

Also, Phoenix clears alot of Cap room... BUt for who?

the best that they can hope for is Kobe... With Phoenix's "family" based organization, I doubt that Kobe is your target.

So who's left???

Nobody really. I mean, there's Bonzi, Rasheed, and Qrich... But I don't think any of these guys qualify.

So Phoenix has just entered into rebuilding.. And what looks like a 4 year program...

NY makes off like Bandits.

• Premium Member

I think more than anything else, for Phoenix...

They get a player they have always wanted...

McDyess.

Maybe they plan to resign him!

I doubt they can get PG from Overseas to come here.

Next year, they will be:

Eisley/Johnson/Matrix/McDyess/Stoudamire...

Yeah I also find it quite funny that anytime the Suns or Nuggets are mentioned that the mysterious Suns or Nugz fan pops up......

Anyways, not sure why you think NY will have the 20th pick in the draft this year. They really dont have much chance at the playoffs and if they do sneak in there will still be most if notn all of the playoff teams in the west with a better record than them which will mean they will pick somewhere around 15, worst case scenario.

With the Suns likely having 2 lotto picks next year, plus Matrix and Amare they are in great shape for the future and this PG they got is supposed to be the real deal. I love the deal from their end, but I dont think I like it that much from the Knicks side since they lose a lotto pick this year.

Phoenix gets nothing out of the trade? Are you on crack? Add up Googs, Dyess and Wards contracts and that is over $30 mill off the cap this summer.

Without Marbury, we'll likely end up with a top 4 pick this year. Add NY's lottery pick to that + a future 1st from them. As if that wasn't enough, we still have Vujanic to look forward to.

We got a [censored] of a lot in return for Marbs. We even managed to finally dump Penny.

Matrix and Amare to build around.

$30 mill off the cap this season.

Top 4 pick + NY's pick(probably lottery) + future NY 1st

Vujanic coming(doesn't matter when, he is ours)

Young talent in Zarko and Barbosa

The future is looking very bright.

Edit: Now I find out, we get Lampe in the deal too. This just keeps getting better and better.

for real... lol... i bet u that the SunsFan and NugzFan is actually one of the regular guys here... lol

anyhow, its a good trade for both teams... NY will definitely make the playoffs now.

as for the SUNS, they're thinkin of next year... the WEST is too hard to compete this year

i think you should be very excited about this trade. I would be. I wish our freaking management could come up w/ something like that. You have 2 great young players and some picks to fill out the roster and plenty of cahs to throw at veterans to lead the team. great move for suns. ny is going to benefit as well.

• Premium Member

This trade immediately benefits the Knicks. I have a high regard for Marbury -- he's a tremendous talent. I believe Marbury is the second-best point guard in the NBA (behind Jason Kidd; remember, New Jersey traded Marbury for Kidd in 2001).

With this deal, it appears Phoenix is throwing in the towel on this season. Can the Suns do something profitable with the two first-round draft picks from the Knicks? Only time will tell.

But the Knicks (14-21) are much better prepared now for a potential playoff run. To earn a playoff spot in the East, I expect that a team will need at least a .500 record. The Knicks would need to go 27-20 in their remaining games to finish at .500 exactly.

Clearly, new president/GM Isiah Thomas is going to work in New York. Marbury and Allan Houston should be a great backcourt combination. Marbury will give the Knicks a shot in the arm. He can create his own shots and create opportunities for teammates.

Penny Hardaway also comes to the Knicks from the Suns. Earlier in his career, he merited a spot on the All-NBA First Team. Then a serious knee injury threatened his career (I didn't think he'd play again). Since his return, he hasn't been the same player, showing inconsistent glimpses of his earlier form.

Antonio McDyess, who goes to the Suns, is playing better after missing last season with a knee injury. And the Suns can get by with Charlie Ward and Howard Eisley (the other two Knicks in the deal) at point guard. But neither is Stephon Marbury, to be sure.

He simply made a deal for a point guard no one wants.

Minnesota didn't want him.

New Jersey didn't want him.

Now, Phoenix doesn't want him.

Eventually, teams are going to figure out that no matter how talented he is, the guy is a loser.

• Premium Member

Knicks Lose players that wasn't helping.

Knicks give up Picks that don't mean much right now.

Knicks get a player who can PACK Fans into the Seats.

Knicks are going to the playoffs.

For the Suns...

This is truly a gamble.

Yes, they get Cap Space.

Yes, they get picks.

But what will it yield??

It is now official per NBA.com

Knicks get:

1.)Marbury - I can't believe he only turns 27 in February ( That one year at Tech seems so long ago)

2.)Penny

3.) Trybanski - never heard of him

Suns get:

1.) McDeysse

2.) Ward

3.) Eisley

4.) Vujanic

5.) two 1st rounders

Marbury without question will become the crowd favorite in the garden that Sprewell once was. At least he will give the Garden a little excitement. 2 1st rounders seems hard to swallow though.

I especially like this deal for Phoenix. Last year the Suns showed unexpected promise but after this bad start we can see that really that team would need a major jump to ever have any chance out West. Why not just dump this year and some salary. I bet they resign McDyess and draft a center type prospect. Then if they get lucky and this Yugoslavian point guard comes over they could be better next year while still sitting on tons of capspace and tons of young talent.

NY may be a threat in the East now but they still have tons of cap trouble and now no draft future.