• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How long will Dwight be happy with so few touches?

Admin

I think he will be fine with this and it will only get better as our players gel. Last night was probably as good as we could hope for and the team looked really good considering all the new pieces we have. We looked alot different and a lot stronger in the middle.

I counted at least seven times Dwight was wide open enough on transition or in a deep post with  a little guy on him that he should have gotten the ball. We gotta feed him. This isn't about his ego, its about maximizing possessions and point opportunities.

That's mostly what I'm referring to. The Wiz did a good job of defending him in the halfcourt and he may have been gassed in the 2nd half but he also may have stopped trying as hard. Let's not forget that it is his MO. He's the superstar and he needs to get the ball especially when he's running hard in transition. I'm sure he loved winning and he had a good line but most of his points came from him doing dirty work and not from him having plays run for him. I promise you that at some point if we aren't feeding him it will become an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sothron said:

I counted at least seven times Dwight was wide open enough on transition or in a deep post with  a little guy on him that he should have gotten the ball. We gotta feed him. This isn't about his ego, its about maximizing possessions and point opportunities.

Exactly the thing is, is that I believe it was more on our players than the Wizards active hands...and I'm not completely talking about Dennis in specific but the Hawks team as a whole there were some really bad passes when Dwight was in position to score easy points! They don't know how to deliver him the ball and That has to be fixed asap not because I believe Howard is going to bitch as @Dolfan23 said but it's just stupid not to get him involved when he can deliver easy points in the right position.

im not trying to defend Dwight...but shit if he ends up mad is that really on him? I would be mad too and y'all know this team ain't gon shoot high percentages like this every game!....there's going to be some off shooting nights and we are going to really need some easy scoring ...so yes to bud and staff and the the whole damn Hawks team has to find a way to feed the damn beast when he's in position no excuses.

Now let me get on Howard...he need to continue putting himself in position to score. He knows how to do that obviously but we just need him to do it a whole game.

Like @Sothron said this isn't about ego it's about maximizing opportunity. Howard can still be a hell of a beast if feed properly. You don't go out and get players like Howard if your not going to feed them, let's not be the lakers or rockets.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dolfan23 said:

That's mostly what I'm referring to. The Wiz did a good job of defending him in the halfcourt and he may have been gassed in the 2nd half but he also may have stopped trying as hard. Let's not forget that it is his MO. He's the superstar and he needs to get the ball especially when he's running hard in transition. I'm sure he loved winning and he had a good line but most of his points came from him doing dirty work and not from him having plays run for him. I promise you that at some point if we aren't feeding him it will become an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And it should....we aren't going to shoot well every game and will need those easy points from D8. So we need to work on delivering him the ball the right way.

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

It had less to do with Dennis and more to do with Washington's defense. Which was good at deflections and having quick hands. Even in the pre-season, they were causing a lot of turnovers. 

It had a lot to do with Dennis ... he was not moving the ball at all ... he looked for his own shot but he was not trying to run the offense and get others involved ... he stood there and pounded he ball a lot instead of encouraging movement ... he needs to work on this and start thinking more like a playmaker instead of an ISO scorer.

i was thinking also last night that Dwight will eventually get frustrated if he is not getting fed the ball more ... they didn't really look for him at all.   However, Howard was not moving well on offense ... he needs to move in the post and demand the ball ... he needs to work on his positioning better ... 

if they both do that we can look at a really good year

7 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

It had a lot to do with Dennis ... he was not moving the ball at all ... he looked for his own shot but he was not trying to run the offense and get others involved ... he stood there and pounded he ball a lot instead of encouraging movement ... he needs to work on this and start thinking more like a playmaker instead of an ISO scorer.

i was thinking also last night that Dwight will eventually get frustrated if he is not getting fed the ball more ... they didn't really look for him at all.   However, Howard was not moving well on offense ... he needs to move in the post and demand the ball ... he needs to work on his positioning better ... 

if they both do that we can look at a really good year

Both executed poorly but it wasn't just them. 

• Admin
53 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Both executed poorly but it wasn't just them. 

No, it def wasn't just them but Dennis's playmaking (or lack thereof) needs to improve dramaticly ... we were a lot better with him on the bench last night as that was when the ball started to move around.  Our offense is based on ball movement and he brought it to a halt last night ... it was probably first game jitters and him trying to do much on offense.    

• Like 1

9 shots is plenty.  As long as he's the foundation for the team winning the possession battle every night and thus winning 2 out of  every 3 games I can't see why he'd complain.  Hopefully the crowds continue to sell out and fan adoration makes up for his lack of "touches."

3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Dennis was not getting him the ball. 

I tend to agree.  Dennis was struggling (as @NBASupes said, the defense was tough-ish for a while).  He's gotta do a better job going forward.

51 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

Our guys just aren't used to having someone that can muscle in and pin a guy down low.

This will improve as the season wears on and they look at film and find opportunities to feed him.

They were probably kinda shocked to see him in great post position.  Thinking, "Aye man, you gon' drift out to the 3pt line like tha las' guy or nah?"

5 hours ago, capstone21 said:

No, it def wasn't just them but Dennis's playmaking (or lack thereof) needs to improve dramaticly ... we were a lot better with him on the bench last night as that was when the ball started to move around.  Our offense is based on ball movement and he brought it to a halt last night ... it was probably first game jitters and him trying to do much on offense.    

Our offense is also based on player movement and spacing. Dennis at the top of the key needs the other players to move as well to prevent overdribbling, set a screen, cut to the basket, etc - too much standing around.