• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks all time starting 5?

http://newarena.com/nba/ranked-each-nba-franchises-all-time-starting-5/3/?amxt=facebooknew

I'm ok with it. Possibly could replace joe Johnson with Smitty or actually allow Deke to be our center with possibly Willis then being the 6th man. I also love Doc as a Hawk but I'd have to give the nod to Mookie and that lockdown D. I always loved Mookie. As our starting point guard in the 90's, he just made me feel comfortable.

Thoughts? Should anyone else be mentioned? 

There is no way Willis makes an All-Hawks team.

Mutombo is your 5 ( although you could make a compelling argument for Al Horford ).  

Image result for mutombo atlanta hawks

Petit would be a 4 in today's game.  

Image result for pettit atlanta hawks

Nique at the 3, no brainer.

Image result for dominique atlanta hawks

I'd still take JJ at the 2 over Hudson.  

Image result for joe johnson atlanta hawks

And you probably have to go with Pistol Pete over Mookie and Doc Rivers at the point.

Image result for pistol pete atlanta hawks

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 2

• Admin
25 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

There is no way Willis makes an All-Hawks team.

Mutombo is your 5 ( although you could make a compelling argument for Al Horford ).  

Image result for mutombo atlanta hawks

Petit would be a 4 in today's game.  

Image result for pettit atlanta hawks

Nique at the 3, no brainer.

Image result for dominique atlanta hawks

I'd still take JJ at the 2 over Hudson.  

Image result for joe johnson atlanta hawks

And you probably have to go with Pistol Pete over Mookie and Doc Rivers at the point.

Image result for pistol pete atlanta hawks

I agree except Pistol who was a SG ... I go with Doc or Mookie At pg but the rest of starting five you came up,with would be the same as mine

• Like 1

While  I respect Mr Pettit , i am an "Atlanta" Hawks fan only .So im going with this Line up

My favorites-
C.  Mutombo  ,  Howard could take this spot if he keeps playing at his current level throughout his contract.
PF . Millsap
Sf.    Wilkins
Sg.  Smitty
Pg. Joe Johnson.  I'm going with a big lineup ,  just to be diffrent from everyone else.

Stl Hawks included

C.  Mutombo
PF .Pettit
SF.  Wilkins
SG. Pete
PG. Wilkens

• Premium Member

IF we're talking about just the Hawks and not Atlanta Hawks..

Mutombo, Pettit, Nique, Hudson, and Joe Johnson...

The names in the rafters are Pettit, Hudson, and Nique.  They got to be in the top 5.  Mutombo was probably the most dominant defensive player we had.  Although Pistol Pete was a dominant offensive player, Joe Johnson and his 7 allstar appearances trumps that.   Moreover, Pete never played enough seasons for that strong of consideration.  Pete, Malone, etc are gotten out of there because of their lack of seasons.

But let's talk top 5 Atlanta Hawks. (past 40 years)

Mutombo, SAP, Nique, JJ, and Mookie.

Hardest comparisons:

JJ vs. Smitty

Mookie vs. Doc

Sap vs. Willis vs. Shareef vs. Smoove

If I'm not mistaken Mook is one of the most exceptional rebounder based off size.  He's up there with Rodman and Barkley and nobody else even close last I remember.  There's no substitute for that in a PG.

I know it's dumb and stupid, but for pure personal entertainment and ticket sale purposes I gotta go with Jamal over Joe.  That boy still look and play like he 25.  I'll never forget his 6th Man season here.

SF goes without saying.  He's gotta step the defense up a bit playing next to Jamal, though.

Sap is Sap.

Mount Mutombo is a HOF, duh.

I'd pay money out the ass to see that team make the Confernce Finals regularly.  Finals maybe twice depending on the bench mob.

• Admin
6 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

If I'm not mistaken Mook is one of the most exceptional rebounder based off size.  He's up there with Rodman and Barkley and nobody else even close last I remember.  There's no substitute for that in a PG.

I know it's dumb and stupid, but for pure personal entertainment and ticket sale purposes I gotta go with Jamal over Joe.  That boy still look and play like he 25.  I'll never forget his 6th Man season here.

SF goes without saying.  He's gotta step the defense up a bit playing next to Jamal, though.

Sap is Sap.

Mount Mutombo is a HOF, duh.

I'd pay money out the ass to see that team make the Confernce Finals regularly.  Finals maybe twice depending on the bench mob.

Crawford ... ugh  ... his shot selection made me throw up a little

He had no where near the impact or importance that Joe or Smith brought to the team ... he was a one demensional iso scorer who was an absolute horrid defender who had some of the worst shot selection in the NBA ... his best trait was the ability to get 4 point plays.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I agree except Pistol who was a SG ...

Watched a lot of Hawks with Pete on the floor and never saw him playing SG as a starter. Most all of his minutes were as a scoring point with Lou scoring next to him at SG. Bottom line though we generally weren't really that good with him starting there and never got past the first round and so he was gone after four years for us.  

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, HawkItus said:

Horford, Sap, Nique, JJ, Mookie.  I'm sorry, but Horf's mid range game would be gold and keep the lane open for Niques drives

That team would be much more fluid then with Deke in there ... Nique would feed off of Al's passes

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

That team would be much more fluid then with Deke in there ... Nique would feed off of Al's passes

The both of U are smoking.   Deke's defense trumps Al's offense and anemic rebounding.

Deke's rebounding and Shot Blocking won a lot of games.

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The both of U are smoking.   Deke's defense trumps Al's offense and anemic rebounding.

Deke's rebounding and Shot Blocking won a lot of games.

I would probably choose Deke first but Al was an excellent defender in his own right and a team player ... his rebounding sucked the last couple of seasons though

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 11/8/2016 at 3:03 PM, Thomas said:

Watched a lot of Hawks with Pete on the floor and never saw him playing SG as a starter. Most all of his minutes were as a scoring point with Lou scoring next to him at SG. Bottom line though we generally weren't really that good with him starting there and never got past the first round and so he was gone after four years for us.  

Pete never won anything anywhere.  Not in college.  Not in the pros.  Probably just missed the playoffs while putting up 80 points per game in the church league.  The guy was a dazzling talent but an inefficient ball hog that played no D and did not foster any time of team cohesion.  He isn't getting near my top 5 whether you call him a 1, a 2 or a combo guard.