• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Who is your all time favorite Non-Nique Atlanta Hawk player?

Sothron

Who is your all time favorite non-Nique Hawk player?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I went with Spud. No shocker there. But for a 9 year old kid who played in the NBA at his height and athletic ability to dunk was like a dream for me. Loved loved loved Spud.

My second choice in this poll is Mookie. Hey, what can I say, I have a soft spot for point guards. Lol. But honestly Mookie with his defense and 3 point bombs and ability to control the game was great to watch. Also, he was one of the best thieves of his era with Alvin Robertson and possibly Scottie Pippen IMO.

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I went with Spud. No shocker there. But for a 9 year old kid who played in the NBA at his height and athletic ability to dunk was like a dream for me. Loved loved loved Spud.

fist+bump.jpg

• Like 3

• Admin

Nique was the reason I became such a fan of the Hawks but after him it is hard (I loved that whole team of the late 80s) ...

It is between Smitty / Joe / Al  ... I actually really liked SAR too ... maybe its my fav player for each rendition of the team since the Nique era

• Like 2

Kevin Willis.  I would of said Mookie, but lord have mercy, the man off the court is reprehensible.  Smith, Dikembe, and Joe are close, but could easily be forgotten as Hawks in the future.  Horford also will probably be more of a Celtic by the time he is done.   Willis was part pro wrestler/part robin/part legend.  He was really Niques side kick against the Boston and Piston villains.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I have a hard time picking just one! Once you remove Nique from the equation, that is.

But Smitty is my favorite non-HHF guy, for all the reasons Soth identified. The competitiveness-x-class combo was hard to beat.

Using the back of a napkin, I'd have to break faves down by decade:

70s - Lou Hudson (lowkey, Mike Glenn)

80s - Kevin Willis (lowkey, Antoine Carr)

90s - Steve Smith (lowkey, Snoop Graham)

Aughts - Joe Johnson (lowkey, Zaza Pachulia)

20Teens - Paul Millsap (lowkey, Ivan Johnson)

~lw3

• Like 4

1 minute ago, lethalweapon3 said:

I have a hard time picking just one! Once you remove Nique from the equation, that is.

But Smitty is my favorite non-HHF guy, for all the reasons Soth identified. The competitiveness-x-class combo was hard to beat.

Using the back of a napkin, I'd have to break faves down by decade:

70s - Lou Hudson (lowkey, Mike Glenn)

80s - Kevin Willis (lowkey, Antoine Carr)

90s - Steve Smith (lowkey, Snoop Graham)

Aughts - Joe Johnson (lowkey, Zaza Pachulia)

20Teens - Paul Millsap (lowkey, Ivan Johnson)

~lw3

Snoop Graham wow...no relation to Joey or Stephen the twins..(I think)..lol

But wow my friends always crowned me when I said Snoop G. I really rooted for guys like him. Smooth stroke I recall but I also recall subpar D ..lol

Gotta go with Spud for two reasons:

1. He was short

2. A classmate of mine got the nickname 'Spuddy' - cause he was the shortest guy on the team and we also dated for a bit.:first_move:

Just now, capstone21 said:

Least Fav ... hard competition between Josh Smith (who I never liked),  JR RIder and Ty Lue

You can probably throw Scott Hastings in there too ... he just sucked

This is easier: Also add Speedy Claxton to the list.

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Gotta go with Spud for two reason:

1. He was short

2. A classmate of mine got the nickname 'Spuddy' - cause he was the shortest guy on the team and we also dated for a bit.:first_move:

Funny you said that...in 9th grade, first day of high school our Spanish teacher asked us if we would prefer to be called by a nickname instead of our real names...I was called spud by 50% of kids for the next 4 years lol

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Spud2Nique said:

Snoop Graham wow...no relation to Joey or Stephen the twins..(I think)..lol

But wow my friends always crowned me when I said Snoop G. I really rooted for guys like him. Smooth stroke I recall but I also recall subpar D ..lol

Snoop was a Philly guy (w/ the Hawks around the time I was contemplating moving here), and guys like him and Mario Elie that went through roundabout means to make it in to the league were intriguing to me.

~lw3

• Like 1

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Nique was the reason I became such a fan of the Hawks but after him it is hard (I loved that whole team of the late 80s) ...

It is between Smitty / Joe / Al  ... I actually really liked SAR too ... maybe its my fav player for each rendition of the team since the Nique era

That is the exact reason I had to live Nique off the poll. It is just...yeah. He's like Jordan for the Hawks. It just isn't fair to all the other Hawks players to really put him in a poll.

Nique, if you see this, you know you are hands down the most popular Atlanta Hawk of all time. This is for the other guys to get some love from the fans.

• Like 1

Before the Nique years I liked John Drew's regular season play the most but he disappointed everytime in the playoffs. So thats just for regular seasons. Best guy scoring using glass I think I ever saw other than Moses and before Pippen and Duncan came around. Spud and Mookie rate right up there. Loved them both. Mookie had that forty eight minutes of hell defensive attitude. Worst for me is the memory of Danny Manning taking a dump on us after we had given up Nique to acquire that jerk. Didn't even get a half season out of him.  

• Like 1

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Before the Nique years I liked John Drew's regular season play the most but he disappointed everytime in the playoffs. So thats just for regular seasons. Best guy scoring using glass I think I ever saw other than Moses and before Pippen and Duncan came around. Spud and Mookie rate right up there. Loved them both. Mookie had that forty eight minutes of hell defensive attitude. Worst for me is the memory of Danny Manning taking a dump on us after we had given up Nique to acquire that jerk. Didn't even get a half season out of him.  

Yeah, I fogot about adding Manning to my 'Hate' list ... he seemed to fit nice with the team Chemistry wise and I liked the play between him and WIllis but the #$#@ didn't resign with us ... what a $##%#

I started watching closely right after Nique left, so I really became a fan with the Mookie, Smitty, Laettner, Deke teams.

Had to go with Mookie - have a general slant towards solid PGs; he was crazy good in steals and pushing the pace and setting the tone. Smitty is a very close second.

Fave backups (for no real quantifiable reason) during that period were Craig Ehlo, Eldridge Recasner, Henry James, Priest Lauderdale.

• Like 2