• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Pistons at Hawks

lethalweapon3

1 hour ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

The team has 3 limited players in the same lineup.

Deny Howard the ball, D up Korver and Baze on the perimeter and force Dennis and Sap to create everything. 

It's not like Bud is going to do anything different.

I doubt he'll make a major trade but may seriously need to bench some starters and I'm not talking Thabo for Baze.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Bud gotta move Dwight to the bench when Tiago is back. Lord knows it is time to start Prince over Bazemore. Kyle ain't good but he's still better as an impact than any other wing on the team.

Splitter isn't coming back. He's done. He sucked in his last days in SA. There's a reason why he got benched for Diaw.

I'd start Thabo at SF, Baze at SG, have Korver as 6th man and Prince as backup SF.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

This is pretty much rock bottom. The team can't get Dwight the ball in the post, there's no effort made at all to have him set a pick and roll to the basket for a lob. We have a guy that does things when he has the ball but he has to live off maybe 10 shots a game at  best.

The problem is not Dwight or Dennis. The problem is we don't have a single starter other than Dennis that can put the ball on the floor and create their own shot let alone create for others. Bazemore is turning into nothing but a stand in the corner or sit behind the three guy and Korver is simply done. He can't get off his man enough to get even a decent enough look at the basket.

I would start Prince and juggle minutes with Thabo and Korver. Baze has to start at 2 to justify his deal. If not then he needs to sit in favor of THJR to see what he can do. The one thing we have is plenty of wing parts to try and mix and match with. That 9-2 start is a thing of the past. We can't depend on Dennis and Dwight to carry this team.

Whoever said relying on a spacing team that can't actually create space or hit jump shots is insane was dead on. We simply can't win like this.

34 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Invert the depth chart. Hardaway, Prince and Bembry all can handle the ball and create offense. Give them the minutes and put the leash on our so called "vets". I don't care about their shooting because nobody is makin shots right now anyway. I'm just sick of seeing clumsy players wearing pro uniforms starting on our team. I'm so tired of Baze and Korver. They were both over achievers that are nothing more than bench guys yet receive STAR treatment from our coaching staff as if they are untouchable. I hate it. Sit them down. Let the young guys that you invested 1st round picks in get playing time. I swear if Bud trades either of these two or any more 1st rounders in favor of keeping Kyle and Kent around I'm going to explode. 

2 of the best damn post I've read since going through all these struggles. I've been saying the same thing, just wish this info could get in bud and staff face but honestly judging buds interviews he knows however what I can't understand is why he's reluctant to make a change even though he's pointed out these very issues.

• Like 3

Agree that Tim and Prince need to be on the floor the most by a lot at the wings now and certainly not down the road when they mysteriously will be ready only by then. It absolutely won't be a worse performance as a team and as said will give Dennis some help putting the ball on the floor. Development days are over Bud. 

It looks like Bud is too scared to shake things up, it was painfully obvious that this ship was sinking and hitting new lows at every week. Maybe he has no Plan B, I dont know.

Im starting to think that Dwight ejection in Charlotte was a turning point.  And its sad because the East is more wide open than ever with Cavs struggling as well. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NBASupes said:

@AHF and @AtLaS will say otherwise but he too limited. He dunks, rebounds and blocks shots but he doesn't do much else. He's slow, doesn't move off the ball, doesn't have good BBIQ, just a bad fit. He's what I thought he was going to be, a tank commander.

He was good for the first 6 games but teams started to figure us out and it killed us.

I've been sayin this for years but he suckered me in the first few weeks being a model teammate and rebounder.  He always had AAU-level IQ and approach.  Anyone who offensive fouls and turns over as much as he does is a liability too often.  

Dude should be known for setting the best screens in basketball.  There are clearly times when he makes a business decision and tries to protect himself.  And I never heard anyone mention it but he's kinda weak in his lower body too ain't he?  He's usually off balance by the second dribble in the post if he's facing an average defender.

His shoulder width and phenomenal quickness off the floor for his size has been his calling card his whole career.  What else is there?  He's as poor a passing and jump shooting Big as you can find in the NBA.  Defensive awareness average.

Your prediction of a possible 38 wins is looking pretty good there brother lol.  Just a couple games off pace.

Edited by benhillboy

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

I've been sayin this for years but he suckered me in the first few weeks being a model teammate and rebounder.  He always had AAU-level IQ and approach.  Anyone who offensive fouls and turns over as much as he does is a liability too often.  

Dude should be known for setting the best screens in basketball.  There are clearly times when he makes a business decision and tries to protect himself.  And I never heard anyone mention it but he's kinda weak in his lower body too ain't he?  He's usually off balance by the second dribble in the post if he's facing an average defender.

His shoulder width and phenomenal quickness off the floor for his size has been his calling card his whole career.  What else is there?  He's as poor a passing and jump shooting Big as you can find in the NBA.  Defensive awareness average.

Your prediction of a possible 38 wins is looking pretty good there brother lol.  Just a couple games off pace.

My 38 wins prediction isn't what I think this team will finish with Sap and company. I still think this is a .500 win team at worst but I just knew that they would trade Korver and Sap by ASB if this team looked like it was heading nowhere which is what is likely to happen. Bud is too good of a coach to have this team finish at 30 to 35 wins. He will sneak and beat some solid teams who are resting players and they will win 38 games. 

We all saw why I had that range now. Because they needed Dennis to shoot at the rate he was in the first 10 games. They needed Dwight to produce at the rate of the first 10 games. Now that Dwight lost that steam, Dennis has regressed and has everyone else on the bench. He's like a negative halo. When it's good, he's great but overall, he just lacks the maturity and mental capabilities to win on a consistent basis and yes, Al and you were right. He's a liability and one that no one will trade for. 

I just hope we can get some late 1sts for Kyle and get someone like Zach LaVine, Chriss or Bender for Sap. We need some young talent especially since we are tanking after that trade. I hope we can get a top 5 pick and get someone like Markelle Fultz or Lonzo Ball. 

Dennis doesn't suck but without the PnR/PnP, he's kinda forcing stuff and not letting the game come to him which is what he did last year when Al wasn't on the court. 

2 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Dwight does have the lower body of a little girl. Lol. 

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

My 38 wins prediction isn't what I think this team will finish with Sap and company. I still think this is a .500 win team at worst but I just knew that they would trade Korver and Sap by ASB if this team looked like it was heading nowhere which is what is likely to happen. Bud is too good of a coach to have this team finish at 30 to 35 wins. He will sneak and beat some solid teams who are resting players and they will win 38 games. 

We all saw why I had that range now. Because they needed Dennis to shoot at the rate he was in the first 10 games. They needed Dwight to produce at the rate of the first 10 games. Now that Dwight lost that steam, Dennis has regressed and has everyone else on the bench. He's like a negative halo. When it's good, he's great but overall, he just lacks the maturity and mental capabilities to win on a consistent basis and yes, Al and you were right. He's a liability and one that no one will trade for. 

I just hope we can get some late 1sts for Kyle and get someone like Zach LaVine, Chriss or Bender for Sap. We need some young talent especially since we are tanking after that trade. I hope we can get a top 5 pick and get someone like Markelle Fultz or Lonzo Ball. 

Dennis doesn't suck but without the PnR/PnP, he's kinda forcing stuff and not letting the game come to him which is what he did last year when Al wasn't on the court. 

Hate to burst ur bubble there but we aren't rebuilding. We might be retooling but we aren't rebuilding from the bottom, and we certainly aren't tanking. The good thing about our roster is that we are financially flexible, meaning if and when times get shitty like this, we should be able to go in a different direction as far as players to obtain that won't hurt our status as a playoff team. Bud will never tank. Also, there's no way that we miss the playoffs. We are still a dangerous team that no 3rd place team in the east would wanna face if we were the 6th seed. We may have a tough time getting homecourt in the playoffs but no way we don't make it to the dance.

By the way, I like Bender more than Chriss. 

Dwight has his issues for sure, but his strengths are about the only thing we have going for us. When he struggles our team has nothing. We're shooting .296 from 3 during this free fall compared to .357 during the 9-2 start. Meanwhile our opponents have catapulted the other direction from .318 to .386. Not even prime Dwight could carry a team of bricklayers.

Edited by High5
  • Like 1

Seems like a lot of Hawks fans are remembering Dwight for what he once was rather than what he currently is. Still a good player but doesn't have the elite athleticism he once possessed which hid a lot of his flaws.

Hard to run the offense through him when he has no post game. The numbers from Houston and his current season back that up. Its a reason why Houston preferred Capela over Howard. It had nothing to do with talent but rather fit.

That dude checked out last night too. He wasn't getting the ball and the benching to start the 3rd pretty much sealed it last night. He looked like he wanted to be somewhere else. He picked up a few fouls that were absolutely ridiculous.  He was also getting outworked and out played by Jon Leuer.

A fan on another board said he at the game behind the basket and Dwight's body language was awful.

Here is a good read. The numbers are not encouraging, offensive wise

http://fansided.com/2016/11/30/dwight-howard-hawks-sustainable/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Hate to burst ur bubble there but we aren't rebuilding. We might be retooling but we aren't rebuilding from the bottom, and we certainly aren't tanking. The good thing about our roster is that we are financially flexible, meaning if and when times get shitty like this, we should be able to go in a different direction as far as players to obtain that won't hurt our status as a playoff team. Bud will never tank. Also, there's no way that we miss the playoffs. We are still a dangerous team that no 3rd place team in the east would wanna face if we were the 6th seed. We may have a tough time getting homecourt in the playoffs but no way we don't make it to the dance.

By the way, I like Bender more than Chriss. 

I doubt many will want Dwight or Kent anytime soon.

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Yeah, this team is flawed. Bigly.

I mean when your system is designed around ball movement and 3pt shooting and you only have one 3pt shooter (who struggles to get open for the 3pt shots) then you're designed to fail already.

31 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Yeah, this team is flawed. Bigly.

I mean when your system is designed around ball movement and 3pt shooting and you only have one 3pt shooter (who struggles to get open for the 3pt shots) then you're designed to fail already.

Well.. Moose and THJ can shoot the 3 pretty decently