• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Our old friend the BU point...

Definition of awesome. So not able to see it with Delaney. Maybe the synonym of breathtaking works. 

awe·some
[ˈôsəm]

ADJECTIVE

1. extremely impressive or daunting; inspiring great admiration, apprehension, or fear: 
    "the awesome power of the atomic bomb"
    synonyms: breathtaking · awe-inspiring · magnificent · wonderful · amazing · 

• informal
      extremely good; excellent: 
      "the band is truly awesome!"
Powered by Oxford Dictionaries · © Oxford University Press · Translation by Bing Translator

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You need to change your POV.  

He struggles on defense and he can't dribble past anyone....sloooooow.

If he was shooting better it would at least offset his other short comings.

Ya I mean he has great skills and would be an asset in Europe. Maybe he should look to go there....oh wait..

Oops nevermind...:-|

9 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Delaney isn't what Schröder is and that's the point.... he is a change of pace plus his mid range is stellar and gives us sorta like what gsw has with livingston. A bigger guy who changes the tempo and plays more controlled. Sure it's not flashy and he won't wow anybody by any means but he's a decent backup imo 

A bigger guy? Delaney is 6'3? Do you mean bigger than Dennis? If so then yes by 2 inches but if you are referring to Livingston, he's like 6'7" and can post people up and shoot accurately over them with a patented turnaround shot. Delaney on the other hand can't post anyone up and even if he does he can't do anything with it. Delaney actually plays shorter than he is...to me he plays as though he's 6'0 or 6'1".

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Thomas said:

Delaney's last ten games have an ever so slightly higher shooting percentage and this is it. Thats his improved performance?

Last 10 Games 10 16.3 .375 1.3 2.4 0.0 0.5 1.6 4.3

And again the link.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2282205/malcolm-delaney

All I know is Malcolm should be forbidden from ever taking another 3.   He's making Smoove look like 2014 Kyle Korver.   

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

A bigger guy? Delaney is 6'3? Do you mean bigger than Dennis? If so then yes by 2 inches but if you are referring to Livingston, he's like 6'7" and can post people up and shoot accurately over them with a patented turnaround shot. Delaney on the other hand can't post anyone up and even if he does he can't do anything with it. Delaney actually plays shorter than he is...to me he plays as though he's 6'0 or 6'1".

Yes bigger than Dennis and plays different. Delaney is a more controlled and scores points when given type of guy. He isn't gonna show up on the box score with ridiculous stats but he does the little things pretty well. His mid range honestly is amongst the best in the league and once he expands a little bit (because you know with a shot like his he's bound to heat up eventually) the 3pt ball will come with time. Backup pg isn't an issue to me at least for the time being 

6 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Yes bigger than Dennis and plays different. Delaney is a more controlled and scores points when given type of guy. He isn't gonna show up on the box score with ridiculous stats but he does the little things pretty well. His mid range honestly is amongst the best in the league and once he expands a little bit (because you know with a shot like his he's bound to heat up eventually) the 3pt ball will come with time. Backup pg isn't an issue to me at least for the time being 

That's the exact thoughts I had of him going into the season. But when I watch him play I feel that he isn't the best passer and distributor of the ball (almost a must for a pg) he isn't the fastest guy, he seems o not be the best +/- guy either (tho I haven't checked). 

I hope you are right in that he will expand range and get more confidence but he just isn't passing the eye test to me. I can't put my finger on it but I'm not loving him for some reason. Just my humble cocky opinion though lol...

On the eye test for me...a player like Mike Scott makes me feel comfy...Delaney puts me in stress mode....I honestly don't know why but you know what I'm talking about if you're a basketball fan or any other sport.

Imagine Aaron Rodgers...if I was a Packers fan I'd feel comfy...but as a Lions fan, even tho Stafford's number are decent, he makes me feel very uncomfortable and nervous.

Sap- comfy

Dwight- not comfy

Dennis- not comfy

Korver- comfy

Baze- not comfy

and so on and so forth...

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

That's the exact thoughts I had of him going into the season. But when I watch him play I feel that he isn't the best passer and distributor of the ball (almost a must for a pg) he isn't the fastest guy, he seems o not be the best +/- guy either (tho I haven't checked). 

I hope you are right in that he will expand range and get more confidence but he just isn't passing the eye test to me. I can't put my finger on it but I'm not loving him for some reason. Just my humble cocky opinion though lol...

Same.  He seems to have shown to be a shoot first point guard.   Which is fine but his range is really maybe 15-18 feet.   I agree he's deadly from that range but that's a long ways from being able to shoot the 3 effectively.  And it's mid range only.  Not much going to the basket.   And let's not forget he's 27 years old.  He's not fresh out of college.  

That coupled with not being great at staying in front of his man makes me concerned.   He's a good backup for the regular season but I can't see him being that effective in the playoffs against great defenses and great offensive players.   And god forbid if Dennis has to miss any games.  Then we're starting delaney and running out Baze at the point.   

He's been effective lately though so maybe with more NBA games under his belt he'll start to improve in some of these areas. 

2 hours ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

Delaney isn't what Schröder is and that's the point.... he is a change of pace plus his mid range is stellar and gives us sorta like what gsw has with livingston. A bigger guy who changes the tempo and plays more controlled. Sure it's not flashy and he won't wow anybody by any means but he's a decent backup imo 

I understand change of pace etc. But he hasn't been good for awhile. He started the season ok, but then tailed off drastically.

Yes, he's supposed to good in the midrange but he hasn't been, 

Not enough assists, too many turnovers.

He's not giving us the offense we expected to make up for his defensive deficiencies.

I was pretty stoked about the Delaney find at the beginning of the season. It just hasn't panned out, yet. Maybe he's still adjusting to the pace of the NBA. Hopefully he gets that fixed and steps up to what I expected. So far, not so much...

• Like 2

Another thing about Delaney to me is his wingspan. He's 6'3" but his wingspan looks very short to me. Either that or he's not using and length on his arms for defense...lol..his arms look really short but maybe that's my POV.

I honestly think y'all are trying too hard to compare him to what we've had at that backup PG spot... We were and have been VERY fortunate at the PG spot for years now... whether it be Teague/Schröder, Mack/Teague, Hinrich/Teague, etc. we've always had well above average play at the PG spot for going on 5 seasons now but the thing is once the rotations get smaller during the postseason run we'll see a lot more DS17. I mean honestly, while Delaney isn't the best backup pg in the league he's more than fine for what he asked to do in Bud's system. And you already know DS17 will strive in the extended minutes role he'll get once playoffs arrive. It's almost natural to him to show out then so it's really no worries for me. I trust Delaney if needed but more importantly I'm sure the YOUNG DS17 will be healthy with fresh legs come the playoffs and he'll be ready for his extended role and I'll believe he'll flourish in it. 

I know those thoughts are jumbled but that's the best way I could put it to words... 

7 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

I honestly think y'all are trying too hard to compare him to what we've had at that backup PG spot... We were and have been VERY fortunate at the PG spot for years now... whether it be Teague/Schröder, Mack/Teague, Hinrich/Teague, etc. we've always had well above average play at the PG spot for going on 5 seasons now but the thing is once the rotations get smaller during the postseason run we'll see a lot more DS17. I mean honestly, while Delaney isn't the best backup pg in the league he's more than fine for what he asked to do in Bud's system. And you already know DS17 will strive in the extended minutes role he'll get once playoffs arrive. It's almost natural to him to show out then so it's really no worries for me. I trust Delaney if needed but more importantly I'm sure the YOUNG DS17 will be healthy with fresh legs come the playoffs and he'll be ready for his extended role and I'll believe he'll flourish in it. 

I know those thoughts are jumbled but that's the best way I could put it to words... 

No, he just hasn't been good recently, point blank.

When Bazemore or THJr is forced to run point in lieu of Delaney - that means he's struggling.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

We have been spoiled with Teague/Dennis but it seems strange to me that we held onto to Mack because we were scared to have just Teague and an inexperienced Dennis as the only points.   In fact, when we finally traded Mack we gave him away for a 2 month rental of Kirk Hinrich to be a 3rd string PG for the playoffs.   Now all of a sudden Bud is comfortable with Delaney as our only backup?  

Now if we had some good ball handlers at the 2 it wouldn't bother me but we seemed to have tapped Baze, who's the worst handler by far, as the emergency PG.   I'd rather have Tim or Bembry but even so they aren't good solutions for more than a few minutes.  

I don't know what my point is but i guess it's this.   We're carrying a baker's dozen of PFs, 3 of which never play, but we're rolling the dice that Dennis won't get sick or hurt.   I don't get it.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We have been spoiled with Teague/Dennis but it seems strange to me that we held onto to Mack because we were scared to have just Teague and an inexperienced Dennis as the only points.   In fact, when we finally traded Mack we gave him away for a 2 month rental of Kirk Hinrich to be a 3rd string PG for the playoffs.   Now all of a sudden Bud is comfortable with Delaney as our only backup?  

Now if we had some good ball handlers at the 2 it wouldn't bother me but we seemed to have tapped Baze, who's the worst handler by far, as the emergency PG.   I'd rather have Tim or Bembry but even so they aren't good solutions for more than a few minutes.  

I don't know what my point is but i guess it's this.   We're carrying a baker's dozen of PFs, 3 of which never play, but we're rolling the dice that Dennis won't get sick or hurt.   I don't get it.  

My thinking is we keep all those 2/3's because we're hoping 1 surely will develop into a consistent starter type guy for the long haul. And once we figure out which one that is... (THJ,Prince,Bembry,or Baze) at least one will be shipped out for some pieces maybe alongside a pick or 2 as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

My thinking is we keep all those 2/3's because we're hoping 1 surely will develop into a consistent starter type guy for the long haul. And once we figure out which one that is... (THJ,Prince,Bembry,or Baze) at least one will be shipped out for some pieces maybe alongside a pick or 2 as well. 

In order of the 4 you named I'd keep...

1. Prince

2. Tim Hardaway Jr.

3. Bembry

4. Baze

We still have 6 weeks till the deadline though so we have a bit of time.

Honestly though I'd love to keep all except Baze depending on what we can get.

• Moderators
19 hours ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

I honestly think y'all are trying too hard to compare him to what we've had at that backup PG spot... We were and have been VERY fortunate at the PG spot for years now... whether it be Teague/Schröder, Mack/Teague, Hinrich/Teague, etc. we've always had well above average play at the PG spot for going on 5 seasons now

The reality is that Delaney has been way worse than average so even if he looks bad compared to our past above average points, he also looks bad compared to a normal point guard.

Here are some of his numbers.  Out of the 63 guards in the league having played 300 minutes and averaging 4 assists per 36:  http://bkref.com/tiny/MgteW

In terms of his handling of the ball and passing ability:  Delaney ranks 52nd in A/TO ratio

In terms of his scoring efficiency:  Delaney ranks 58th in TS%

In terms of his ability to stretch the floor:  Delaney ranks 61st in 3pt%

In terms of his defensive counting stats:  Delaney ranks 57th in steals and 55th in blocks

In terms of his analytics:  Delaney ranks 60th in PER and 61st in WS/48

As an addendum to the last point, Delaney is one of 5 guards meeting this criteria that has a negative WS/48 which means that analytic suggests he takes wins off the table when he plays which is spectacularly bad.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

The reality is that Delaney has been way worse than average so even if he looks bad compared to our past above average points, he also looks bad compared to a normal point guard.

Here are some of his numbers.  Out of the 63 guards in the league having played 300 minutes and averaging 4 assists per 36:  http://bkref.com/tiny/MgteW

In terms of his handling of the ball and passing ability:  Delaney ranks 52nd in A/TO ratio

In terms of his scoring efficiency:  Delaney ranks 58th in TS%

In terms of his ability to stretch the floor:  Delaney ranks 61st in 3pt%

In terms of his defensive counting stats:  Delaney ranks 57th in steals and 55th in blocks

In terms of his analytics:  Delaney ranks 60th in PER and 61st in WS/48

As an addendum to the last point, Delaney is one of 5 guards meeting this criteria that has a negative WS/48 which means that analytic suggests he takes wins off the table when he plays which is spectacularly bad.

Well yuck.   When do 10 days start?   Maybe give Will Bynum another try?

• Like 1