• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

3 games out of 2nd in East

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

But, in a cap-driven league, what we pay one player can directly impact what kind of team we have.  Therefore, despite the fact that it's not your money, you still have to consider it.

Very true. But the point is, cap space is only good when you don't believe your team is going in the right direction. I happen to believe it is. So I'd much rather keep the irreplaceable guys (Millsap, Dwight, Dennis maybe?) at all costs and just build around them. You can't pay Badmore this much and tell Millsap he's demanding too rich a contract for us to sign him. That's unreal. Pay the man. He earned it.

Isn't that the Spurs way, after all?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Exactly.   What's our team look like without Sap the the next two years?   We don't have a real NBA quality starting PF on the whole roster right now.   

The Nets.

Don't laugh but I feel like if we take it one game at a time. We can go undefeated in January and be on an 18 game win streak going to Houston on Feb.2nd. 

I know it's a long shot but I think it's not impossible. I looked ahead on our schedule and don't see any really tough games except for Friday against Boston but that's a home game as well.

18 in a row baby!!!

• Premium Member

I think that it's worth making a move that keeps us competitive (strongly) and says to FAs that we're not afraid to spend to win.   I would give Sap a 4 year 110 Million dollar deal.  I know that 4th yr is not going to be his best year, but by then, we're paying him for his loyalty and service as a Hawk.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Don't laugh but I feel like if we take it one game at a time. We can go undefeated in January and be on an 18 game win streak going to Houston on Feb.2nd. 

I know it's a long shot but I think it's not impossible. I looked ahead on our schedule and don't see any really tough games except for Friday against Boston but that's a home game as well.

18 in a row baby!!!

We're playing really ugly nowadays, but there was this guy who once said "THE SH*T WORKS!"

I dunno about an 18 win streak, but the sh*t is definitely working for the Hawks as of now.

3 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Very true. But the point is, cap space is only good when you don't believe your team is going in the right direction. I happen to believe it is. So I'd much rather keep the irreplaceable guys (Millsap, Dwight, Dennis maybe?) at all costs and just build around them. You can't pay Badmore this much and tell Millsap he's demanding too rich a contract for us to sign him. That's unreal. Pay the man. He earned it.

Isn't that the Spurs way, after all?

No, the Spurs rarely pay guys what the market will bare.  Especially not when they're beyond their prime.

First let me say this, I'd be fine with us standing pat, riding the season out and either re-signing Sap (for a sub-max deal) or losing him for nothing.  I'm fine with either outcome.  I can also see them trading him for, say, DEN's 1st, Gallinari and another young piece.

The one thing I don't want to see is us paying Sap near-max for 5 years just because we can.  Then, lacing 'em up next year expecting to go further.  That's treadmilling IMHO.  We know how that story ends (same as with wHorford as out headliner).

That said, I do see your point w.r.t Skip (BazeLess).  However, that's water under the bridge at this point and we can't unspend the money.  Plus, maxing out Sap likely means losing THJr as well.  Oh ho ho, I think I got you there.  Re-signing Sap basically means giving Skip an even bigger role on the team. *shudders*

8 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I think that it's worth making a move that keeps us competitive (strongly) and says to FAs that we're not afraid to spend to win.   I would give Sap a 4 year 110 Million dollar deal.  I know that 4th yr is not going to be his best year, but by then, we're paying him for his loyalty and service as a Hawk.

I see where you're going with this.  Any way we can bump that down to 3 years though?

Also, I actually like how we're playing lately.  Standing pat may not be the worst option.  I mean, we did beat CLE in CLE sans Kyle.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I see where you're going with this.  Any way we can bump that down to 3 years though?

Also, I actually like how we're playing lately.  Standing pat may not be the worst option.  I mean, we did beat CLE in CLE sans Kyle.

Before this team had time to Gel, we as fans were talking about firing the coach and having a fire sale.  Now, it's evident that the team is starting to gel...  I think we're one of the best built teams in the league.  I am astounded by the Rockets.. however, we beat them too.  I would like to see us stick together and see if we can use some of those wasted picks to get a good player to help us.  

Plus, now we need  a three point shooter. 

And the 4th year is what I believe will get the job done. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Before this team had time to Gel, we as fans were talking about firing the coach and having a fire sale.  Now, it's evident that the team is starting to gel...  I think we're one of the best built teams in the league.  I am astounded by the Rockets.. however, we beat them too.  I would like to see us stick together and see if we can use some of those wasted picks to get a good player to help us.  

Plus, now we need  a three point shooter. 

And the 4th year is what I believe will get the job done. 

I said all along that we'd be .500 'til about the ASB then would take off.  I'm sticking by my expert (i.e. luck-filled) assessment.  4 years may indeed get his attention, but man if 3 years and a competitive salary (relative to what the market bares) doesn't get it done, shiiiiii may have to jus' let it goooooo, jus' let it beeeee ...

Also, on HOU, they're a regular season phenomenon.  If the Nash-Suns were fast-forwarded to now, they'd be similar.  Playoffs, when teams have time to gameplan for them, will likely be much different for them.

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

You could be right.  I honestly think a 2-year max will be enough.  Question is, do we pay that?  We're aiight as a team with him as our headliner, but we're not winning a title or are even close to it.

You really ok with that?  There are alternative strategies.

I guess what I'm saying is, trading Sap is not necessarily tantamount to us throwing in the towel.

Yea it is, he is the core of the team and we have no one waiting to take his place and won;t get an equal player in a trade. If we trade him this year and don't atleast make a good attempt to sign him long term we are going to have a HUGE hole on this team and will be alot worse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Well, imagine paying Sap $35mil per year.  Imagine paying him $47mil as a 37 year-old.  Problem solved?

Yeah....nooo....that's not happening. 

My 1st preference is to have him pick up his $21 million dollar option, then renegotiate a raise an extension.

2nd - if he's hell bent on a 5 year contract and want to be a $30 million dollar man,   I can tolerate an initial starting salary  of $30 mil in year 1 with a declining scale structure so that at age 37 his salary is $21 million.

3rd - like @Diesel said 4yr/$110 mil

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I'm no hawksfanatic, but I don't think we can trade Sap for just a 1st.  It'd be for a 1st + a young vet that can help us stay competitive.  That's my opinion, anyways.

I think your trepidation is unwarranted.  Trust me, macd.  Have I ever steered you wrong?

We can to a team that can absorb his contract outright - Brooklyn, Philly, Denver. We can also take back expiring contracts.

• Admin changed the title to 3 games out of 2nd in East
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

All I'm saying is that we're seeing a net talent loss.   Top 4 teams in the east besides the Hawks will now all feature a former Hawks All-star or starter.   That's f'd up.   

Top 6, if you include Marvin in the equation

Cleveland - Kyle

Toronto - DMC

Boston - Al

Indiana - Jeff

Charlotte - Marvin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

18 in a row baby!!!

I predicted 57 wins this season, so an 18 game win streak would help me out a lot.  Hawks can only lose 9 more games the rest of the way, to get to 57.   12 straight wins puts us at 33 - 16.  That would mean the Hawks would "only" have to win 24 of the following 33 games.

Image result for it's possible

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yeah....nooo....that's not happening. 

My 1st preference is to have him pick up his $21 million dollar option, then renegotiate a raise an extension.

2nd - if he's hell bent on a 5 year contract and want to be a $30 million dollar man,   I can tolerate an initial starting salary  of $30 mil in year 1 with a declining scale structure so that at age 37 his salary is $21 million.

3rd - like @Diesel said 4yr/$110 mil

We can to a team that can absorb his contract outright - Brooklyn, Philly, Denver. We can also take back expiring contracts.

Milsap is max or bust. No way he takes less to stay in ATL. This is his last big pay day.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

Milsap is max or bust. No way he takes less to stay in ATL. This is his last big pay day.

But he's not going to BKN just to get paid tho.

If we can put together a good offer, we can probably keep him and not kill the cap.

7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

If we can put together a good offer, we can probably keep him and not kill the cap.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/7/8/11960364/millsap-s-next-contract-over-36-rule

Over 36 Rule is our solution to save capspace and give him his money. Win-Win for us both.

21 minutes ago, kg01 said:

He's in his early 30's. He's going to want his first major payday. He already didn't get a long term deal last time he was a FA. Let's be real.

• Like 2