• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Deja Vu?

Wurider05

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I think people are missing some of these issues when it comes to the question as to why trade Paul. Paul is due what I call a "supermax" contract which could pay him an insane amount of money. I know the new norm for NBA deals is the new norm but even so this dude is going to get P A I D.

Horford lied through his teeth about wanting to stay in Atlanta. He lied through his teeth about wanting to bring in a physical rebounder at center so he could play more at PF. Hawks did that. They offered him a fair deal. He still stabbed us in the back and left.

BudCox can't do that with Paul. No team in the NBA can lose multiple All Star players in back to back offseasons and get nothing in return for them. Just think about that for a  second: we could lose two guys that float around All NBA status in back to back seasons for NOTHING in return.

Any front office that did that should be fired. Period. You can't run a franchise like that. You guys don't want to make other teams better? I get that.  I don't want to lose two All Stars and get nothing back from it. If the team doesn't think Paul will resign or he wants too much then they have to move him for the best trade they can get.

But what is too much for Paul?   Are other teams just stupid?   Why would Paul have so many suitors willing to pay him max money and we aren't ?   At what point do we notice that our old talent is going deep in the playoffs with other teams because we were scared to pay them what the market bears.   I mean if we had a viable alternative to Paul I'd feel differently. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

But what is too much for Paul?   Are other teams just stupid?   Why would Paul have so many suitors willing to pay him max money and we aren't ?   At what point do we notice that our old talent is going deep in the playoffs with other teams because we were scared to pay them what the market bears.   I mean if we had a viable alternative to Paul I'd feel differently. 

In my opinion anything more than 3 years is too much. He's 32 years old. You can't give a guy like that a four or five year deal. There's no doubt in my mind a desperate team will give him whatever it takes. We don't need to be that desperate team.

The only question for me is things we just won't know as fans: will the Hawks get a good enough offer to justify moving him or will the Hawks instead think they can resign him to a reasonable deal and we go forward with the roster we got. I don't think trading Korver was the sign that the whole team is going to get blown up.

5 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

I don't care what we do... just get me Paul George

I don't know if we have enough in trade value to get a player like that.

5 hours ago, Sothron said:

I think people are missing some of these issues when it comes to the question as to why trade Paul. Paul is due what I call a "supermax" contract which could pay him an insane amount of money. I know the new norm for NBA deals is the new norm but even so this dude is going to get P A I D.

Horford lied through his teeth about wanting to stay in Atlanta. He lied through his teeth about wanting to bring in a physical rebounder at center so he could play more at PF. Hawks did that. They offered him a fair deal. He still stabbed us in the back and left.

BudCox can't do that with Paul. No team in the NBA can lose multiple All Star players in back to back offseasons and get nothing in return for them. Just think about that for a  second: we could lose two guys that float around All NBA status in back to back seasons for NOTHING in return.

Any front office that did that should be fired. Period. You can't run a franchise like that. You guys don't want to make other teams better? I get that.  I don't want to lose two All Stars and get nothing back from it. If the team doesn't think Paul will resign or he wants too much then they have to move him for the best trade they can get.

Right! ATL can't continue to be a farm team for contenders. Got to get something back. OKC did a good job at it, minus the KD situation but to get something back for Harden, Ibaka, Reggie Jackson was nice. ATL need to follow their example. 

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

Right! ATL can't continue to be a farm team for contenders. Got to get something back. OKC did a good job at it, minus the KD situation but to get something back for Harden, Ibaka, Reggie Jackson was nice. ATL need to follow their example. 

Atlanta needs to follow the Spurs' example: RE-SIGN YOUR KEY PLAYERS AND BUILD AROUND THEM.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Atlanta needs to follow the Spurs' example: RE-SIGN YOUR KEY PLAYERS AND BUILD AROUND THEM.

I understand the premise/comparison but their key players waaaaay greater than our key players. 

18 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

They had a Tim Duncan, Ginobli, Parker to build around. ATL doesn't have that. Keeping ATL's guys make you a treadmill team. Dennis may get better but Millsap and Dwight won't.

2 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

They had a Tim Duncan, Ginobli, Parker to build around. ATL doesn't have that. Keeping ATL's guys make you a treadmill team. Dennis may get better but Millsap and Dwight won't.

DwightSap is a 30/30 a night front court. They don't need to get much better than that.

• Like 1

• Moderators

My thing is that signing Sap doesn't prevent us from acquiring the star we need.   We can do it if we're willing to spend the money and we manage the roster the right way.   But who knows if we can attract or trade for that player.   I just think there's a better chance of getting a star here if we are a very good team than if we are a terrible team.   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Oh... Ok, then. No, wait!

You're telling me Millsap and Dwight are "not that great"? REALLY? :blink:

In comparison to San Antonio's 'greatness' they are a few spots below.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Oh... Ok, then. No, wait!

You're telling me Millsap and Dwight are "not that great"? REALLY? :blink:

I'd trade both for a prime Duncan and consider myself to have just gotten away with one of the great steal trades in the last decade.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thomas said:

Did it once this season already and in their house. The paint was ours and not theirs.

Regular season. Hawks beat CLE during the regular season plenty of times it didn't translate into the playoffs. Playoffs is a different monster.

We're talking about the last two years since those are the ones LeBron got them to the finals. Like someone to post how many times we beat them in that time frame with Al starting. In reference to the playoffs being a different monster, so are we. We have one of the leagues best rebounding centers as opposed to the worst the last two years in the playoffs. 

• Like 1