• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Since Bud arrived in ATL

I feel as though my own personal basketball IQ, the way I look at the game, the type of players I like to watch and have on the roster have all changed. It's kind of like Pop and Bud and the whole San Antonio coaching branch is a freakin basketball cult.

I mean before I liked guys like Smoove and wanted to land guys that were ultra athletic and have signature moves and such.

Now, I find myself wanting to look for players that are unselfish, do a couple of things particularly well, fit our system and are good financial investments. 

I dunno, I've either matured in a basketball sense and understanding at a later age than I thought, or I'm part of this Spurs/Pop/Bud trickle down cult.

BTW...Don't get me wrong, it's not like I wouldn't have killed for a Stockton or Magic, I just feel like the players that I want now are kind of role guys that fit a bigger picture.

Any of you feel this way?

Yup. I look more for guys who can pass, make smart unselfish plays, and move without the ball and defend a lot more than just one-sided offensive players.

i still remember when Bud came in Kyle was being interviewed and said something about how Buds system was not so much about running plays as it was learning principles, and the way he said it, you could tell he hadn't really bought it yet and thought that approach was kind of goofy. I saw that interview and I was like, "Oh brother, what is this crap? What kind of weirdo hippy dippy stuff is this Bud guy trying to pull?" But now I'm a believer. Seeing tht reaction from Kyle made me think that the new guys that come in must all have the same kind of thought process, which also is indicative of a pretty steep learning curve. It's why I am optimistic about these guys getting better with time to gel and get on the same page and learn the system. Mos def.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LamarHampton said:

Yup. I look more for guys who can pass, make smart unselfish plays, and move without the ball and defend a lot more than just one-sided offensive players.

i still remember when Bud came in Kyle was being interviewed and said something about how Buds system was not so much about running plays as it was learning principles, and the way he said it, you could tell he hadn't really bought it yet and thought that approach was kind of goofy. I saw that interview and I was like, "Oh brother, what is this crap? What kind of weirdo hippy dippy stuff is this Bud guy trying to pull?" But now I'm a believer. Seeing tht reaction from Kyle made me think that the new guys that come in must all have the same kind of thought process, which also is indicative of a pretty steep learning curve. It's why I am optimistic about these guys getting better with time to gel and get on the same page and learn the system. Mos def.

Hahaha hippy dippy stuff I love it. I called it "a cult" lol

• Premium Member

I would rather have Baze than Monte Ellis.  I would rather have THJr than Oladipo.  So yes, I believe I'm with you.   For that very same reason, I was against having Dennis as our starting PG.   I hated watching the team game break down because he wanted to go IsoSchro.  However, I also think you have to give Bud a chance to reach guys too.  Seemingly, he reached Dwight, he reached Dennis, and I think he's the kind of coach that could reach Cousins.  So I've learned to trust the process.    

• Like 3

Good thread subject. Pop to Bud coaching tree is really strong and think that not only the teaching of the system but knowing who to bring in to mold into the system is a huge part of it. Sap and DMC coming in that year after Josh walking away is as perfect an example as we could ever find. Quite the surprise him going all in on Dwight in the offseason but man has it worked out. The team passing game has become my favorite style to watch and remember when it was generally thought to be boring pretty much league wide. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I feel as though my own personal basketball IQ, the way I look at the game, the type of players I like to watch and have on the roster have all changed. It's kind of like Pop and Bud and the whole San Antonio coaching branch is a freakin basketball cult.

I mean before I liked guys like Smoove and wanted to land guys that were ultra athletic and have signature moves and such.

Now, I find myself wanting to look for players that are unselfish, do a couple of things particularly well, fit our system and are good financial investments. 

I dunno, I've either matured in a basketball sense and understanding at a later age than I thought, or I'm part of this Spurs/Pop/Bud trickle down cult.

BTW...Don't get me wrong, it's not like I wouldn't have killed for a Stockton or Magic, I just feel like the players that I want now are kind of role guys that fit a bigger picture.

Welcome to my world.

It's a team game, no matter how good you are.. You still have to rely, trust and respect your teammates.

Edited by Spursfanpeacemaker
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

FYI, I've never soured on Smoove and I really feel he would have fit this system.  To understand that very crazy statement, you need to understand the system from the whole perspective.

Players in this system must pass the ball. Players in this system, must be able to handle the ball. Players in this system must play good defense.  Players in this system must be able to shoot. 3 out of 4 ain't bad. While others got hung up on Josh's ability to dunk the ball, it is what he brought to the table at the defensive end and off the ball that I always appreciated and it still bothers me that Josh doesn't get his due for what he brought to the team. Josh and Paul for example shot the same FG% for their Hawks career, almost identical numbers for rebounds, assists, points, steal, blocks. Statistically, they are nearly identical players. Josh might be a bad comparison. I think a better comparison for a guy people drool over but who never pay off is Carmelo Anthony. His shoot first attitude and lazy defense has almost never led his teams anywhere.

What I like about Bud's system is the basketball purity at the offensive end. After Jordan's Bulls, the game changed dramatically to feature ISO heavy offense over designed sets. Bud's system doesn't just use sets, it demands them. 1/2 of the possessions begin with motion and 3 passes just to see what develops. It makes the opposing defense work. I hate watching a basketball game and seeing the opposition get a 15 second break on defense while a Joe Johnson type pounds the ball deciding what to do and I agree with Diesel. I would buy season tickets for the first time in my life to see what Bud could do with Cousins. I honestly think 90% of the problem with Cousins is his frustration with his teammates.  I've watched that guy put up 28 points shooting only 46% because every possession features the entire opposing defense trying to stop him. What could he do on a team that actually shares the ball?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 1/12/2017 at 9:27 PM, Spud2Nique said:

It didn't take Bud to open my Eyes to team basketball...It took Woodson introducing the Iso Joe offense and josh Smith's terrible ill advised jumpers to have me wanting change.  Furthermore, no one with any basketball IQ could stand watching Smith play his last 5 years in Atlanta.  I do have to admit that after the 1st preseason game featuring ball movement, I knew we had a good one.  Do I still get frustrated with Bud's use of personnel and his in game management?  Absolutely! But even that has improve dramatically over the last couple of weeks

I've followed the Spurs closely since they drafted Timmy - I've always appreciated their style of play. When  everyone  was calling them boring I was 'this is such pure basketball'

When Bud came on board I was excited that we would get that type of bball here (even without the star player).  Before Bud, I spent a lot of time screaming at the TV and pounding my fist  and  screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOO - don't  shoot.  Think  I've only had one such outburst since.

Bud is still learning as a head coach, he  still has to work on in-game mangement  -  yes, he's been with Pop a long time - but you learn by doing and he's getting his chance.

17 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I've followed the Spurs closely since they drafted Timmy - I've always appreciated their style of play. When  everyone  was calling them boring I was 'this is such pure basketball'

When Bud came on board I was excited that we would get that type of bball here (even without the star player).  Before Bud, I spent a lot of time screaming at the TV and pounding my fist  and  screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOO - don't  shoot.  Think  I've only had one such outburst since.

Bud is still learning as a head coach, he  still has to work on in-game mangement  -  yes, he's been with Pop a long time - but you learn by doing and he's getting his chance.

Couldn't agree more Jay, and wow  you've been watching them longer than me. I started watching the Spurs in 2005, first NBA televised game i watched Spurs vs Pistons finals. Their humbleness and class act is the reason why i became a spurs fan. It also took me like 4 years to realized that they were playing beautiful unselfish team basketball.

Obviously, i'm a hawks fan now too, since Coach Bud arrived in Atlanta, i'll still won't forget that 19 game win streak, 4 all stars and them reaching ECF for the first time in Atlanta history. I really want to see Hawks win a championship.

Edited by Spursfanpeacemaker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hazer said:

Funny how Bud used to get murdered for his time-out inbound play calling. Now he's called out for how great he is at it.

Not after that last play of the game tonight.

Hawks had no timeouts and the wrong personnel grouping in the game to adjust to Boston's zone.  Millsap gets it in the corner, and has to shoot a 3 while being doubled.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

This game was just another example of Bud's inability to properly manage his personnel to give his team a competitive advantage.   To his credit, he did recognize how hot Delaney and THjr were and left them in the game in the 4th to give us a chance.  But his use of Muscala and Bazemore ( Moose more than Baze in my opinion) just killed any chance this team had tonight.  I keep hoping Bud's in game management will eventually become a strength but I'll most likely be waiting a long time before that happens.

14 hours ago, hazer said:

Funny how Bud used to get murdered for his time-out inbound play calling. Now he's called out for how great he is at it.

11 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Not after that last play of the game tonight.

Hawks had no timeouts and the wrong personnel grouping in the game to adjust to Boston's zone.  Millsap gets it in the corner, and has to shoot a 3 while being doubled.

Yeah, this game not so much...

11 hours ago, Thomas said:

The only time in the game we could use Larry Drew on the sideline. He had those clutch timeout plays down pat.

When I think Larry Drew three things come to mind...fists...his mouth...and Giannis...

Traitor to his country...ok not country but team. He should get a captured spy's treatment...I'm not exactly sure what that is but it's not high tea with a Mr. Newman..

On 1/12/2017 at 10:27 PM, Spud2Nique said:

I'm not feeling anything for what they saw in Bazemore.