• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Jazz at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

C-Viv: "Hey, I need a couple days off. Anybody wanna fill in and report on the Hawks for this town's only newspaper?"... "Buehler?"

Hard to blame anybody the way this team plays so often. Still, check out the "Coverage" from the rag that Covers Dixie Like the Dew:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/hawks/

EDIT: Eureka! Here it is, buried on the main Sports page. Winky didn't have C-Viv's password, it seems.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/hawks-smoked-again-the-jazz/mkho4iOET2QIB7Yk7iPPrK/

~lw3

2 hours ago, hazer said:

I watch every game, sometimes twice. Turned this one off about 5 minutes in, Moneyball was on cable. Probably should lay off until after the break myself. Enough...

@hazer  I feel you.  I DVRd the game, started watching, erased it and watched re-runs of Big Bang Theory.

2 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I feel ya...not sure which of these two best describes the feeling..

IMG_8617.GIF

Yep 

17 minutes ago, kg01 said:

On seeing the Hawks with another inexplicable lay-down performance ...

I'm Shocked

On thangs sports-wise ...

I Give Up

oc.gif

Until we get it right, until we move the ball every night like we're supposed to, we're going to get smacked," Kent Bazemore said. "We don't have the luxury of letting one or two guys carry the load every night. It has to be a collective effort. I don't know how many times it's going to have to happen before we figure it out."

Baze....how bout lookin in the mirror..smh..damn..

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Until we get it right, until we move the ball every night like we're supposed to, we're going to get smacked," Kent Bazemore said. "We don't have the luxury of letting one or two guys carry the load every night. It has to be a collective effort. I don't know how many times it's going to have to happen before we figure it out."

Baze is awful but at least he seems to understand what most of us see. He's really been horrible this year but I remember being moved by his press conference with Dwight. I think he has good intentions but his play can't really back up his words. 

I hope they figure something out soon. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think many question Baze's intentions.  Just his talent.  No doubt he can be a positive reserve wing off the bench and that $19M is really expensive for that role.

$15.7 mil this year

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

$15.7 mil this year

Not looking forward to the future years when he is properly coming off the bench.  This year he is in the range of worst starters in the league. 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I agree but it's nice to hear that someone on the team understands the problem.   And Baze will be a LOT more effective if the team actually does this.     I've been blaming the wings all year but the truth is that PG play lately has been pretty suspect.  

6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I agree but it's nice to hear that someone on the team understands the problem.   And Baze will be a LOT more effective if the team actually does this.     I've been blaming the wings all year but the truth is that PG play lately has been pretty suspect.  

Ssssshhhhh...if our German contingent sees this ur toast lol...

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Well we've had 4 games in february.   Averages of 25 minutes with 4.3 assists and 3.3 turnovers shooting 16% from 3.   That's pretty hard to defend.   

But in 47 minutes of play for Dennis / Dulaney to have 2 assists COMBINED in the Utah game is embarrassing.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Well we've had 4 games in february.   Averages of 25 minutes with 4.3 assists and 3.3 turnovers shooting 16% from 3.   That's pretty hard to defend.   

But in 47 minutes of play for Dennis / Dulaney to have 2 assists COMBINED in the Utah game is embarrassing.   

Ya I even posted in that awesome Rockets victory our PG's sucked. We need some consistency from them and I don't mean consistently sucking.

Its just every time you bring up the fact that Dennis isn't being consistent, you get attacked from a bunch of people on here...lol...no sense in getting into arguments about it with some folks every week. I'd rather ignore it lol

• Moderators
Just now, Spud2Nique said:

Ya I even posted in that awesome Rockets victory our PG's sucked. We need some consistency from them and I don't mean consistently sucking.

Its just every time you bring up the fact that Dennis isn't being consistent, you get attacked from a bunch of people on here...lol...no sense in getting into arguments about it with some folks every week. I'd rather ignore it lol

Well I still think Dennis is great but this is really the next step for him.   Taking responsibility every night for getting the team's offense playing the right way.   He's certainly not the only one to blame for the offensive crappiness but he is the primary one responsible for correcting it.   That's the job.  

• Like 2

Just now, macdaddy said:

Well I still think Dennis is great but this is really the next step for him.   Taking responsibility every night for getting the team's offense playing the right way.   He's certainly not the only one to blame for the offensive crappiness but he is the primary one responsible for correcting it.   That's the job.  

Yup Dennis will be awesome for sure. Problem is we are in a weird situation in that Dennis is a young guy that needs to learn by making mistakes and at the same time we have veterans like Sap that are ready to contend right now. We seem confused...are we trying to rebuild, retool or go for it. The new sexy NBA term is retooling...but retooling with young guys combined with vets gets you where we are right now: inconsistent as hell!

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Yup Dennis will be awesome for sure. Problem is we are in a weird situation in that Dennis is a young guy that needs to learn by making mistakes and at the same time we have veterans like Sap that are ready to contend right now. We seem confused...are we trying to rebuild, retool or go for it. The new sexy NBA term is retooling...but retooling with young guys combined with vets gets you where we are right now: inconsistent as hell!

I'd be fine with that if we were actually playing the young guys (other than dennis).   It's frustrating that we're so inconsistent with Baze, Hardaway, Thabo, Dunleavy logging big minutes.   It's a great point though.   If those guys are going to suck then why not play Bembry and Prince instead.  Preaching to the choir i know.

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I'd be fine with that if we were actually playing the young guys (other than dennis).   It's frustrating that we're so inconsistent with Baze, Hardaway, Thabo, Dunleavy logging big minutes.   It's a great point though.   If those guys are going to suck then why not play Bembry and Prince instead.  Preaching to the choir i know.

That could be the case post all star but I highly doubt it as Bud loves them heady vets :-|

vor 59 Minuten, Spud2Nique sagte:

German contingent here (although usually reader, less writer)

What I don't get is, that for me, dennis is playing better than I ever expected from him in this first season as a starter. 
Especially, if I consider that this team has major issues at other positions. 
He has certainly things to improve, but that should not surprise anyone.  As a bonus, he carried this team during a stretch of the season, what impressed me a lot.

But some of you expect him to do more than guys like Howard or Millsap. And at least for me this is not justified. 

Criticize him if he is playing bad, that is fine. But don't pretend that he is responsible for the mess this team produces (way too regularly). 

Honestly I don't get the american approach to sports (at least from a fan's point of view). Either you win a championship or just blow up everything because they are garbage.  

You do the same with players. Yesterday you want to trade everyone, today you are planning the parade and tomorrow no one knows.
(e.g. THjr, had to lough about the "pay this guy thread". Not that he is bad, but this guy went from bust to hero like 25 times this regular season so far)

I understand that being a fan of a sports team has a lot to do with emotion. But if you talk about things like a rebuild you should not be guided by todays mood.

tl;dr 
Criticize where it's due, but do not apply a measure meant for the veterens of our team to 23 year old first year starters.

• Like 1

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Ekyo said:

What I don't get is, that for me, dennis is playing better than I ever expected from him in this first season as a starter. 
He has certainly things to improve, but that should not surprise anyone.  As a bonus, he carried this team during a stretch of the season, what impressed me a lot.

But some of you expect him to do more than guys like Howard or Millsap. And at least for me this is not justified. 

Criticize him if he is playing bad, that is fine. But don't pretend that he is responsible for the mess this team produces (way too regularly). 

Honestly I don't get the american approach to sports (at least from a fan's point of view). Either you win a championship or just blow up everything because they are garbage.  

You do the same with players. Yesterday you want to trade everyone, today you are planning the parade and tomorrow no one knows.
(e.g. THjr, had to lough about the "pay this guy thread". Not that he is bad, but this guy went from bust to hero like 25 times this regular season so far)

I understand that being a fan of a sports team has a lot to do with emotion. But if you talk about things like a rebuild you should not be guided by todays mood.

tl;dr 
Criticize where it's due, but do not apply a measure meant for the veterens of our team to 23 year old first year starters.

I don't think these wild mood swings you describe are from individual posters.   When Hardaway sucks the ones who don't like him anyway say bust.   When he does well the ones that like him say pay him.   It's not the same people just wildly changing their minds.

But on the subject of Dennis, he should get called out for bad play just like all of them.   And as PG it is absolutely part of his job to make sure the offense is actually being run as opposed to guys just calling their own number.   That's not Dwight's or Sap's job.   In fact, guys like Dwight have very little control on offense because they don't have the ball.   He needs to set his picks and move like he's supposed to but the whole reason we have a PG is to guide the offense. 

But I'm not down on Dennis by any means.   He's great and one of the keys to this team.   But that doesn't mean he doesn't have things to work on.   If he doesn't want the responsibility of running the offense then he's in the wrong position.    But I know he does. 

2 hours ago, Ekyo said:

tl;dr 

The point guards job is to lead the team, set the tone and pace of the game.  Dennis is in his 1st year and still learning so the ups and downs are expected. He has to balance his natural affinity to score with running the team, that comes with time and maturity.  He'll get better.  He'll also be criticized when he is doing a bad job.