• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Jazz at Hawks

lethalweapon3

Running the offense sounds as if he has the ability to get everyone into position. I have never played competitive basketball, but at least in soccer, most of the time, the good move came from the pass receiver and not from the one playing the pass. 

You can have as much an intention to pass as you want, if there are no opportunities you can't just stand around and wait.

Sometimes I just have the impression that some here want Dennis to take the rest of the team on his shoulders and drag them to their luck. 
Again, is he making mistakes? yes. But is he always missing the free guys or is there also a lack of movement from wings or lazy screens by Dwight and so on?  

14 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Until we get it right, until we move the ball every night like we're supposed to, we're going to get smacked," Kent Bazemore said. "We don't have the luxury of letting one or two guys carry the load every night. It has to be a collective effort. I don't know how many times it's going to have to happen before we figure it out."

Baze....how bout lookin in the mirror..smh..damn..

That quote is exactly why he needs to be traded.  He's part of the problem, especially with his streak shooting, wild turnovers, and lackluster defense.

He's right about one thing.  We DO need a guy who can carry the load every night, if need be.

That's why we need the guy in New York, and not the guy who always makes crazy faces at the camera.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ekyo said:

Running the offense sounds as if he has the ability to get everyone into position. I have never played competitive basketball, but at least in soccer, most of the time, the good move came from the pass receiver and not from the one playing the pass. 

You can have as much an intention to pass as you want, if there are no opportunities you can't just stand around and wait.

Sometimes I just have the impression that some here want Dennis to take the rest of the team on his shoulders and drag them to their luck. 
Again, is he making mistakes? yes. But is he always missing the free guys or is there also a lack of movement from wings or lazy screens by Dwight and so on?  

Basketball is different than soccer though.   That's why they call the PG the floor general.   If guys aren't getting into position then he is supposed to let them know.   Certainly the rest of the team has some responsibility but the PG is there to organize it.

Someone mentioned the Bibby trade here recently.   That was a great example.   The Hawks pretty well sucked and then Bibby comes in and takes charge of the offense of the team from day one.   He wasn't even that effective of a player at that point outside of great shooting but he totally changed the Hawks from bumbling on offense to pretty good.   

How many current pgs do you find in the current nba with that profile? 
I really doubt that a young point guard can be the puppet master that you think he should be. 
Sure, decision making, play calling is his job. But this is not like haveing a gamepad to move all other 4 players.

Sometimes when I watch the hawks, I am surprised how little movement there is from all players on the floor. And this applies to Dennis too when he is playing off the ball.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Ekyo said:

How many current pgs do you find in the current nba with that profile? 
I really doubt that a young point guard can be the puppet master that you think he should be. 
Sure, decision making, play calling is his job. But this is not like haveing a gamepad to move all other 4 players.

Sometimes when I watch the hawks, I am surprised how little movement there is from all players on the floor. And this applies to Dennis too when he is playing off the ball.

The good ones have a nose for it and develop that over time.  The great ones can do it from day 1 - they see how the plays should develop.  The ones who can't develop a sense for how the offense is supposed to run end up on the cutting room floor.

Dennis is in that developing over time category.  He is in his 4th year in Bud's system so he should have a reasonable sense of where people are supposed to be on offensive sets by now.