• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

When was the last time we had a trade that made us better?

Wurider05

it seems that every team we are involved in a trade with gets better while we tread the same water. I mean San Antonio, Utah, Pacers etc all seem to be better after being involved in trades with us. Budcox has damn near built the Utah jazz backcourt, Cavs look better with Kyle, Lamarcus (Splitter trade) has been lighting it up, the Pacers are better than they were last year.  While we remain the same. 

About the teams mentioned.The Cavs are 7-7 with Kyle getting minutes so they are not better whether they won last night or not. Splitter was for a second rounder and Printezis. Jeff basically for Prince so time will tell but we were keeping Dennis no matter what. Shelvin Mack is struggling to stay a second stringer for Utah and the George Hill part of the trade involving Jeff never actually touched our fingers, that was the Pacers and Jazz part of it. So Jeff is the only one we traded away with any serious impact and we're developing a future SF from that and still have a starting point guard. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Wurider05 said:

it seems that every team we are involved in a trade with gets better while we tread the same water. I mean San Antonio, Utah, Pacers etc all seem to be better after being involved in trades with us. Budcox has damn near built the Utah jazz backcourt, Cavs look better with Kyle, Lamarcus (Splitter trade) has been lighting it up, the Pacers are better than they were last year.  While we remain the same. 

While I get the underlying point, you lose me at Utah and the Cavs being better as a direct result of Atl trades (also claiming SA with LA is kinda bogus too).  Utah is better for sure but that's not solely on Atl trading Teague to Indy. And the Cavs are 8-7 since trading for KK so it's hard for me to see that they are clearly better than they were without him.  He's had a few solid games though.  I'd still guess that the Cavs are better when he's on the bench than on the court, just like the Hawks were towards the end. 

Also, I think it's safe to say the draft pick for THJ has made the Hawks better as none of the potential options in the draft appear definitively better than THJ has become.  

The reality is the Hawks are a flawed team and short of making a major trade (which they haven't done yet), they aren't going to get appreciably better.  They've tweaked the roster rather than making a major overhaul. 

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Also, I think it's safe to say the draft pick for THJ has made the Hawks better as none of the potential options in the draft appear definitively better than THJ has become.  

Yeah, thats taken a while but pretty happy with that trade now. Gives us ball handling that none of our other wings have enough of (Dunleavy borderline) and he has plenty of courage to score. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Agreed.  Year 1 didn't move the needle but he is moving the needle this year as our best wing.  Final measure on that trade will be this year, the chance to resign THJr and the 2nd rounders versus the next two years and chance to sign the other available players.  Given our team's draft history, I think people should be very comfortable with THJr as long as we resign him at a rationale price this offseason.

On Kyle Korver, I think  you need to measure that trade in the playoffs.  They made that trade to get an elite shooter for the post-season.  I don't think they care much about the specific record in the first 20 games or so with him since they remain on the top of the East.

• Like 4

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, AHF said:

Agreed.  Year 1 didn't move the needle but he is moving the needle this year as our best wing.  Final measure on that trade will be this year, the chance to resign THJr and the 2nd rounders versus the next two years and chance to sign the other available players.  Given our team's draft history, I think people should be very comfortable with THJr as long as we resign him at a rationale price this offseason.

On Kyle Korver, I think  you need to measure that trade in the playoffs.  They made that trade to get an elite shooter for the post-season.  I don't think they care much about the specific record in the first 20 games or so with him since they remain on the top of the East.

I'm starting to think THJ is our only decent trade piece assuming we keep Sap, Dwight and Dennis.   If we have to sign Sap and Timmy this summer then we're basically bringing back the same team next year.   I think the verdict is in on that being a contender or even close.

9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm starting to think THJ is our only decent trade piece assuming we keep Sap, Dwight and Dennis.   If we have to sign Sap and Timmy this summer then we're basically bringing back the same team next year.   I think the verdict is in on that being a contender or even close.

We've got some dead weight on the bench that is sucking the life out of me and this team.

Well, trading Nique when we were in 1st place really jump-started that title run and ....

Ignite

Whoa, whoa guys ... I was kidding.

As usual, @JayBirdHawk is on it (wait, does that make me a beta?).  The fact that pretty much 90% of our bench are borderline unplayable, low-value vets kills us both in games and on the trade market.

I mean, who wants a shot/old Mike Scott?  Who wants Hump?  Hell, considering how often we run Muscala out there despite having the core skrength of a junior varsity bench 2G, do we want Hump?

Meanwhile a team like TOR could trade any of Ross, Poetl, Powell, etc. for win-now upgrades or even picks. #JealousOThaCraptors?

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Thomas said:

About the teams mentioned.The Cavs are 7-7 with Kyle getting minutes so they are not better whether they won last night or not. Splitter was for a second rounder and Printezis. Jeff basically for Prince so time will tell but we were keeping Dennis no matter what. Shelvin Mack is struggling to stay a second stringer for Utah and the George Hill part of the trade involving Jeff never actually touched our fingers, that was the Pacers and Jazz part of it. So Jeff is the only one we traded away with any serious impact and we're developing a future SF from that and still have a starting point guard. 

Don't be shocked if we trade Prince for 2 second rounders.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

What was the story?  Why were you thinking "danggit"?

He was talking about how he cannot find a spot in the NBA and he refuse to go back home.   I never thought that he was so bad that he couldn't be developed but Budcox did.  Lastly, his favorite player growing up was Dwight Howard.   How's that for Irony.   I just think we'd be better served developing him than holding on to Spitter.

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

He was talking about how he cannot find a spot in the NBA and he refuse to go back home.   I never thought that he was so bad that he couldn't be developed but Budcox did.  Lastly, his favorite player growing up was Dwight Howard.   How's that for Irony.   I just think we'd be better served developing him than holding on to Spitter.

That is pretty sad.  But we ain't runnin' a charity, bro.  He had his chance here.  He actually was improving, just not quickly enough.  He'll make a living playing basketball.  Just maybe not in the NBA.

9 minutes ago, kg01 said:

That is pretty sad.  But we ain't runnin' a charity, bro.  He had his chance here.  He actually was improving, just not quickly enough.  He'll make a living playing basketball.  Just maybe not in the NBA.

He's improving as much as Splitter is.

• Like 1

To answer the original question (like nobody else did hehe) I'd say Bibby?  I don't remember what we gave up but he really stabilized the offense even if he moved like he had a hip replacement.

As far as Edy, I saw more in Bebe than him.  NBA GMs agree.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Watchman said:

He's improving as much as Splitter is.

BFD

6 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

To answer the original question (like nobody else did hehe) I'd say Bibby?  I don't remember what we gave up but he really stabilized the offense even if he moved like he had a hip replacement.

As far as Edy, I saw more in Bebe than him.  NBA GMs agree.

BFD

But yeah, that's a good response.  The Bibby addition paid dividends.