• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

THE TRADE DEADLINE - February 23rd at 3:00PM

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Wurider05 said:

What about Ben Gordon? He may have something left in the tank. Plus he is cheap?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2693772-too-old-at-33-ben-gordon-grinds-in-the-d-league-for-one-shot-at-nba-comeback

I just can't thing of anyone who's successfully made it back to the nba like this.  A lot of guys try. 

• Premium Member
  • Hoops Rumors
  •  
  •  
  • After playing out two 10-day contracts with the Hawks, Lamar Patterson has returned to the D-League’s Reno Bighorns, tweets Chris Reichert of The Step Back. That doesn’t necessarily mean that Patterson won’t return to Atlanta or another NBA club at some point this season, but many free agents are in a holding pattern until after the trade deadline passes.
  • Speaking of those Hawks, head coach and president of basketball operations Mike Budenholzer says he wants to balance the club’s short- and long-term interests as Atlanta explores deadline deals, per Chris Vivlamore of The Atlanta Journal Constitution. Although Budenholzer says he’d be happy with his roster even if the team stands pat, Vivlamore hears that the Hawks have been “very active as buyers” as they explore possible moves.

42 minutes ago, hazer said:

Since we're playing the conjecture game, consider this: what if Sap and Budcox have a handshake agreement for Paul not to "opt out" of his final year? 2017-18 cap: $102 million, 2018-19 cap: $108 million. Hmmmmmmm...

Then Sap has by far the worst agent in all of the NBA. I would put it at 2% that Sap does not opt out and that 2% is only because of the chance that Sap suffers a major, career-altering injury.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

Then Sap has by far the worst agent in all of the NBA. I would put it at 2% that Sap does not opt out and that 2% is only because of the chance that Sap suffers a major, career-altering injury.

I read this wrong at first.  I agree that he opts out.   But I'd say the likelihood that he re-signs with the Hawks is extremely high.   If he doesn't then it will take years for this organization to recover from an appearance of competency standpoint.   To have Teague/Korver/DMC/Sap/Horford all leave in the span of 3 years with the only return being Prince and a late 1st would be extreme ineptitude.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

For some of us the Sap/Alice/Howard situation wasn't an argument - it was something we were very excited about.

I could see why Al didn't resign. He would likely be traded this week for a player like George and we would be loaded right now. Say what you want but he made the best decision for his career now looking at it. Maybe he didn't like Dwight, who knows. 

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Vivlamore hears that the Hawks have been “very active as buyers” as they explore possible moves.

Just dawned on me. How did I fail to fully comprehend the implications? C-Viv hears that we're active.

Yeah. This seals it.

Look for our major acquisition to be... yes, I'm serious... Bryce Cotton.

I hate being a cynic, I really do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hazer said:

Since we're playing the conjecture game, consider this: what if Sap and Budcox have a handshake agreement for Paul not to "opt out" of his final year? 2017-18 cap: $102 million, 2018-19 cap: $108 million. Hmmmmmmm...

@hazer Think again.  Salary cap projections for 2018-19 is at $103 mlliion, a difference of $1 million from 2017-18 of $102 million.  We won't see a $20 million cap jump again.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/02/07/report-nba-also-reduces-projected-2018-19-salary-cap-to-103-million/

Oh and Milsap will opt out.

The big issue with any trade for a rental is, we got to pay them with the cap not moving up much. We already got to pay Tim and Millsap. Whoever we get, a contract has to go out. I am not interesting in trading Splitter with a pick unless we move a contract. 

So if we trade Bazemore, I would consider trading a pick. 

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We won't see a $20 million cap jump again.

Careful.

We might not see it jump by about 1/3 (from 70 to 94) again.

So, yeah, scale-wise, probably not.

But as it inches up, we're eventually likely to get to a day when $20m is quite plausible.

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@hazer Think again.  Salary cap projections for 2018-19 is at $103 mlliion, a difference of $1 million from 2016-17 of $102 million.  We won't see a $20 million cap jump again.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/02/07/report-nba-also-reduces-projected-2018-19-salary-cap-to-103-million/

This is why with any trade, Bazemore should be moved unless it includes star. But for a good role player, we could give two 1st rounders for a rental but it can't be one of our future ones or Minny. It has to be Cleveland and it has to include Bazemore.

Same for Chandler to a lesser degree. We can trade for Chandler with a 1st but it has to include Bazemore. 

If Gallinari left, we would not have cap to replace him. But if Bazemore is trade and Gallo leaves, we have nearly max cap with cap holds and we could sign a top tier free agent.

7 minutes ago, sturt said:

Careful.

We might not see it jump by about 1/3 (from 70 to 94) again.

So, yeah, scale-wise, probably not.

But as it inches up, we're eventually likely to get to a day when $20m is quite plausible.

I meant until there is a new TV deal again.  Until that expires we will see incremental increases.

11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

This is why with any trade, Bazemore should be moved unless it includes star. But for a good role player, we could give two 1st rounders for a rental but it can't be one of our future ones or Minny. It has to be Cleveland and it has to include Bazemore.

Same for Chandler to a lesser degree. We can trade for Chandler with a 1st but it has to include Bazemore. 

If Gallinari left, we would not have cap to replace him. But if Bazemore is trade and Gallo leaves, we have nearly max cap with cap holds and we could sign a top tier free agent.

We would own Bird rights to Gallo so resigning him would not be the problem.  The Hawks going into luxury tax territory to do so is.  Is Ressler WILLING?

I do agree that trading for him then he leaves screws us from a capsace perspective if Baze isn't moved.

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@hazer Think again.  Salary cap projections for 2018-19 is at $103 mlliion, a difference of $1 million from 2017-18 of $102 million.  We won't see a $20 million cap jump again.

No Sap wont opt out imo

5 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

No Sap wont opt out imo

There is no incentive for him to opt-in at all. He signed the shorter term contract to take advantage of the new cap salary. He's 32.  This will be his last opportunity to cash in big.

29 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Ahhh, somehow I missed that they revised it down $5mil.....