• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

THE TRADE DEADLINE - February 23rd at 3:00PM

• Moderators
2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The alternative is worse.  You know it, and I know it.  And Melo WILL be the #1 offensive guy.  At the end of a game, that's who hands I want the ball in.

The difference is that he doesn't have to be a 20 shot taking #1 guy.  In this offense, if he can take 15 - 17 shots, and shoot a decent percentage, that would help us tremendously.

You've made a compelling case for adding him to Dennis, Dwight and Sap.  Now we just need the Knicks to deal for Splitter, Baze and a few picks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AHF said:

You've made a compelling case for adding him to Dennis, Dwight and Sap.  Now we just need the Knicks to deal for Splitter, Baze and a few picks.

And for Lala to tell Melo it's ok to come to the Hawks!

15 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Disagree completely.

1) the fan base in Atlanta would IMMEDIATELY welcome him on.  1/2 of them cheer for him whenever he comes here anyway. 

2) a trade almost always reinvigorates a player, even if he loved where he played at.

3) Bud has proven with Dwight Howard, that he can turn a guy who everybody think is worthless, into a viable and integral part of the team

4) Melo has no problem playing "team ball",  He looks to take over when his teammates are missing shots.

5) As a spot up shooter, he is tailor made for this offense.

At some point, this fan base has to understand what normally are the elements of a championship team, and take their personal emotions out of the equation.

1) A Hall of Fame level player playing at or near the peak of his career . . . ( none )

2)  A definitive All-Star level player . . . ( Millsap )

3) A 3rd player who is a borderline All-Star, capable of making a major impact on a game . . . ( Howard, Schroder )

4) A top 10 defensive team . . . ( currently 5th in the NBA )

5) A top 10 offensive team . . . ( currently 25th in the NBA . . . and lowest amongst ALL current playoff teams )

Without those elements, you're not winning a title in most instances.   We have 3 out of the 5.   

Acquiring Melo gives us a chance to get #1, and dramatically improve #5.

Any other move that brings in a middle of the road player, doesn't help us at all.

It's that simple.

You bring up points I brought up in the past but the truth remains while Cleveland would like him, they aren't trading Love or Thompson. LA isn't trade Reddick, Paul, Jordan or Griffin. And Melo hasn't shown a great deal of interest in being a Hawks. 

Honestly, both Atlanta and Toronto could be excellent spots for Melo Basketball wise. But he hasn't shown interest in either team. 

• Like 2

Melo could realistically change the east for four teams of they could get him on a discount.

That's 

Charlotte

Indiana 

Especially Toronto and Atlanta.

These three teams would be blessed to move a weaker piece and picks for Melo. 

This is the win trade we and those other teams need to become an elite East team. All of those teams need a Sheed to Detroit type of trade to put them over.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Melo could realistically change the east for four teams of they could get him on a discount.

That's 

Charlotte

Indiana 

Especially Toronto and Atlanta.

These three teams would be blessed to move a weaker piece and picks for Melo. 

This is the win trade we and those other teams need to become an elite East team. All of those teams need a Sheed to Detroit type of trade to put them over.

Agreed.  And honestly, a trade like this is about the only thing that would move the needle for me.  Doing nothing or making some small periphery trade just doesn't get anyone all that excited, imo.  It seems pretty clear that the Hawks are in in no way built to compete now as currently constructed.  Could they get hot and make a run to the ECF?  Sure.  But more likely over a 7 game series we'll see the sporadic Hawks that ain't going anywhere. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

All of those teams need a Sheed to Detroit type of trade to put them over.

No offense to us but I think the 2004 Pistons would murder us...we aren't at that level..maybe our 2014-15 was tho.

Melo has no interest in Atlanta, and Lala doesn't even want to move:

Anthony has talked about how important his family is when deciding whether he will stay. The source said his wife, La La, is a big proponent of not moving on, even to the Clippers, despite having a second home in Los Angeles.

Let's come up with other ideas.  Which teams could use our expirings?  Teams that are in luxury tax etc? Take back a 'bad contract' plus an asset for taking back the contract.

Example: Splitter and Scott for Mozgov (back up to Dwight) and Nance or if Melo does go to LAC - take back Jamal and NY sends us the Mundungus kid for taking Jamal.  Teams like Detroit, Bucks, Portland, Charlotte that are already slated to be over the cap next season but are going nowhere.

43 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Melo has no interest in Atlanta, and Lala doesn't even want to move:

Let's come up with other ideas.  Which teams could use our expirings?  Teams that are in luxury tax etc? Take back a 'bad contract' plus an asset for taking back the contract.

Example: Splitter and Scott for Mozgov (back up to Dwight) and Nance or if Melo does go to LAC - take back Jamal and NY sends us the Mundungus kid for taking Jamal.  Teams like Detroit, Bucks, Portland, Charlotte that are already slated to be over the cap next season but are going nowhere.

I like Nance a lot! Good young player that could be a great defender soon imo...I love Mindfuckus, Bud would have a field day with that guy, doubt Knicks would give him up but then again they are the dysfunctional Knicks lol..

The Atlanta Hawks do not appear interested in making a major roster move before the trade deadline, according to a source.

The Hawks appeared close to dealing Paul Millsap shortly after New Year's before pulling him from the market.

1325795244_angry_face.gif

23 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Until this year I would have completely disagreed.   I never wanted any part of Melo and while i'm still not a fan I recognize that there are a thousand reasons why we'd be better off with him.   

His rep as a ball hog isn't that warranted at this point i don't think.   On a team that moves the ball I think he'd actually be much happier.  

But there is no denying that a team featuring Melo, Sap, Howard going into the playoffs is going to generate buzz.   It could be an on court failure but it would make money.   

Or it could put us a heartbeat away from the NBA Finals.