• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

THE TRADE DEADLINE - February 23rd at 3:00PM

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

@JayBirdHawk I wish we could just cash in and pluck a Nugget or Sun from their rosters..lol...I really like those 2 rosters...but I doubt either of them move any key players...

ps I'd like to take this opportunity to let the Nets know how stupid of a franchise they are for trading for senior citizens kg and Paulette...smh..all they did was cost us Devin Booker and give the Celts a possible Ball brother in Lorenzo...

I truly wish Kenny Atkinson got ANY other head coaching job..well obviously not the Celts or Knicks either tho..Kenny is a good guy but I hope the Nets NEVER recover.

That's not their current GM's mistake. That was Billy King's doing to give up the future for a pathetic "win now" change with KG and Pierce. The GM they have now is IMO doing a good job considering the handicaps he was given to start.

I would love to dive into some of the Nuggets players but the only pieces they could be moving are Chandler/Nurkic. The guy I'd give my eyeteeth to get from them has no chance in hell of being dealt. Jokic in our system would be popcorn basketball that we haven't had since the Nique glory days.

9 minutes ago, Sothron said:

That's not their current GM's mistake. That was Billy King's doing to give up the future for a pathetic "win now" change with KG and Pierce. The GM they have now is IMO doing a good job considering the handicaps he was given to start.

Oh ya I'm well aware of Billy King and his moronic moves...I just don't ever wanna see the Nets bounce back...I don't care who the GM.

We are Hawks right? Our attributes include cunningness and predatory instincts. 

Why can't our front office start acting like hawks instead of mice?

I mean we should be getting over on many teams for the simple fact of being such dominant predators. Why the hell isn't our front office killing the Hornets(glorified bees), the Wizards(fairy tale bs), the Celtics (midget leprechauns),  the Cavaliers(supporters of a king from England), and the Pacers( they'd think ju was a horse and let you out-Tony Montana) in trades???

WE ARE HAWKS!!! From the front office to the players...START ACTING LIKE IT!!!!

5 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

We are Hawks right? Our attributes include cunningness and predatory instincts. 

Why can't our front office start acting like hawks instead of mice?

Wow . . . I need to get my mind out of the gutter.  For about 2 seconds, I thought you said something else.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Futile though the attempt may be, let me try to bring us back to the substance of the thread if I may... :)...

I'm one of those who buys-in to these principles...

1a. Trust the process.

1b. And by implication, trust Hawks U.

In all honesty, if we were to obtain Melo, I'd be excited by that for the same reasons I was excited by us obtaining Dwight... (a) it addresses a void in the current roster, (b) it's a testimony to the worthiness of the franchise for others to consider playing here, and (c) what choice do I have anyway... might as well be excited. Well, and then too, where Dwight was concerned, I have to add there was that emotional coming-home press conference that just made ya impressed with him as a person (perhaps in a way that he'd never before impressed ya).

But for all my happiness with what Dwight brought, there's no denying that we solved one problem (rebounding, chiefly), but moved further away from the ball-moving, chemistry-heavy offense and switch-dominant defense dynamics that have given us our greatest success arguably since the Nique era. I think we're good, but we're not really better, or at the very most, we're very much a work in progress. Overall, we're mainly just... different.

Some people firmly believe that you have to have that one guy who is the go-to with 5 seconds left. I prefer what we had--4 guys that are just as likely as the other to take the last shot... but moreover, I prefer that with that came something even better and more effective... 5 guys who made a habit of absolutely controlling the last 5 minutes of games with their defense and uncommon ability to pull away by 5-10 points and keep it that way -- almost never losing a close contest for that very reason.

Thus, I'm one of those who latches on to interest in a player because of how likely it is that he fits the role of being a contributor, not a dominator.

If Melo somehow ended up with us, that's how I would judge him.

He would need to recreate himself to fit the Bud ball mold.

I'm not so bold as to say he can't, either. I'd even say he probably could.

I'm more cautious because over all these years in DEN and now NYK, he's never been that kind of player (, and particularly in DEN, I think there was an opportunity to show that he could have been).

So, like everything else, it comes back to perceived cost/benefit as always. He's worth something, but is he worth what we'd pay, and at the same time, once on the floor, would what he brings be so significant that it was worth sacrificing what was maybe a better fit for what Bud tries to do, and what was a younger piece with some upside still reasonably possible.

It's a no-brainer for some. Not me.

I really don't get all that Jokic hype. He is garbage defensively and this will not change imo because he is relatively unathletic and hasn't Marc-Gasol'ish defensive instincts. It's very difficult to get a championship if you don't have a good rimprotector or a Big who is elite at picknroll defense and gives you some kinda shotblocking (Bosh). It is not possible to play Jokic at PF because he is too slow. You pair Jokic with a guy à la Bosh or OKC-Ibaka or you will be some cannon fodder in the POs. These guys are really hard to find. Don't get me wrong, Jokic at Center with a random stretch four will work very well in the regular season but not in the playoffs.

Edited by ISOJOE

29 minutes ago, ISOJOE said:

I really don't get all that Jokic hype. He is garbage defensively and this will not change imo because he is relatively unathletic and hasn't Marc-Gasol'ish defensive instincts. It's very difficult to get a championship if you don't have a good rimprotector or a Big who is elite at picknroll defense and gives you some kinda shotblocking (Bosh). It is not possible to play Jokic at PF because he is too slow. You pair Jokic with a guy à la Bosh or OKC-Ibaka or you will be some cannon fodder in the POs. These guys are really hard to find. Don't get me wrong, Jokic at Center with a random stretch four will work very well in the regular season but not in the playoffs.

@Sothron in 3.....2..

32 minutes ago, sturt said:

Futile though the attempt may be, let me try to bring us back to the substance of the thread if I may... :)...

My apologies apologies sturt...I got caught up in a he said she said game...

• Moderators

I'm tired of starless basketball.   We haven't beaten a good team in a  month.   Even though we may have a good record, the truth is on the court and we routinely fail against any team that is good defensively.   Because our guys aren't scorers and aren't consistent shooters.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, ISOJOE said:

I can't wait for this dude, sorry. I have to get some sleep before the hawks game 

Get some rest.

Jokic is a superstar center at the age of 21 and the best passing big man I've ever seen in 40 years of watching American and international basketball. If you want to knock him because he's not a rim protector then that is your call. He will never be a great shot blocker. He doesn't have the quickness for it. His defensive IQ is there however for him to be a good positional defender which he already is.

I'd trade anyone on this roster ten times over to get Jokic. There's been a handful of players I would actually pay my own money to go see live in person and Jokic is already on that list.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Wow . . . I need to get my mind out of the gutter.  For about 2 seconds, I thought you said something else.

Is that so, Colonel Angus?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It's almost like fans in Atlanta are afraid to have "nice things".  

Would you drive a Lamborghini, if it had no seat belts?   Think about that for a moment.   

Most of us will NEVER get a chance to drive, let alone own a Lambo.  But if you got a chance to own or drive one, and the only feature you didn't have on it were seat belts, would you decline the drive?

That's what Melo is.  A sportscar without seat belts.  If you wreck, it may kill you.   But if you don't wreck, you'll get the thrill of your life.  And if you know how to control and maintain a Lambo, you may get the ultimate satisfaction out of it.

Melo will have NEVER played with a collection of guys as good as this current Hawk team.    It's no way you can judge his past team performances, when he's barely played with a good collection of talent.   It's the same situation Ray Allen was in for years.  Same with Paul Pierce.   They were good to very good players on mediocre teams that didn't have enough talent to beat elite teams.

Image result for lambo

This is Dennis' future car, by the way.  Once he gets that big money contract, he'll trade in the Audi for this.

The Menace already has a camo Lambo.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, ISOJOE said:

40 points and 9 rebounds and 5 assists for Jokic tonight. 40 points on only 23 shots I might add.

• Like 1