• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Are the Hawks suffering from "the Hangover"??

Diesel

• Premium Member

A few years ago, we won a lot of games, had a great team, went to the Conference Championship.  SInce that time..

We've lost Quinn Snyder, Kenny Atkinson and some of the staff that they've poached.

Notice :  in 3 yrs, Snyder has Utah looking like a high seed playoff team.  Brooklynn is not great yet but they are rebuilding.  Generally this happens in Football.  It's called the Hangover.  What really happens is that some other teams come along and takes your assistants.  Sorta like Shannahan going to the 49ers. 

If Budcox haven't developed a system like they have in San Antonio, then we're left with the amount of talent we actually have and not the system.

What do yall think?

37 minutes ago, Diesel said:

A few years ago, we won a lot of games, had a great team, went to the Conference Championship.  SInce that time..

We've lost Quinn Snyder, Kenny Atkinson and some of the staff that they've poached.

Notice :  in 3 yrs, Snyder has Utah looking like a high seed playoff team.  Brooklynn is not great yet but they are rebuilding.  Generally this happens in Football.  It's called the Hangover.  What really happens is that some other teams come along and takes your assistants.  Sorta like Shannahan going to the 49ers. 

If Budcox haven't developed a system like they have in San Antonio, then we're left with the amount of talent we actually have and not the system.

What do yall think?

I don't think so. When you look at NFL teams like NE and SEA they lose assistant coaches to be HCs all the time but they promote with it.

The problem with ATL I think is they're behind today's NBA. Everybody is going to small ball, ATL got bigger this past summer.

• Moderators

Demarre, Kyle, Teague, Horford, Mack

Replaced Demarre with Thabo but Thabo is hurt a lot

Replaced Kyle with Hardaway/baze but neither can shoot consistently the way Kyle did 2 years ago

Replaced Teague/Dennis/Mack with Dennis/Dulaney.   That's a net loss

Replaced Horford with Dwight.   I'd call it a wash but our wings just work better with Horford than Dwight.   We have the wrong complimentary players.   

So to me it's lack of talent and bad fit from a player point of view.   I think with an average coach we'd be a lottery team.  With Bud we're a mid pack playoff team. 

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

What do yall think?

It's the THABO EFFECT.

Record of the Hawks with Thabo in the lineup:  26 - 18

Record without Thabo in the lineup:  4 - 4

In the year that you talked about when the Hawks went to the ECF

2014 - 15

Record with Thabo:  43 - 9

Record without Thabo:  17 - 13

In a game like last night, we needed someone who can slow down the great Gordon Hayward.  Bembry can't be expected to shut down a borderline All-Star like Gordon.  And Baze is simply incapable of doing it.  So from a perimeter defense standpoint, it's Thabo or bust.

When he comes back, he needs to star and Baze needs to go to the bench . . . or have a quick hook if he's playing bad, and put THJ in Baze's place.

• Like 1

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Replaced Horford with Dwight.   I'd call it a wash but our wings just work better with Horford than Dwight.   We have the wrong complimentary players.   

Who are these wings that were great with Horf but stink with Dwight?  Our wings have sucked since our magical season of DMC and Korver.  Last year's wings were pretty brutal and certainly no better than our group this year.

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, AHF said:

Who are these wings that were great with Horf but stink with Dwight?  Our wings have sucked since our magical season of DMC and Korver.  Last year's wings were pretty brutal and certainly no better than our group this year.

I never said they were great with Horf at all.   But Baze, Kyle, and Thabo were obviously more comfortable when all 5 guys were moving and passing on offense.  Our guys, now including Delaney, routinely refuse or fail to get the ball to Dwight when he has deep in the paint position.   I'm not talking about getting him on the low post.  I'm talking about getting the ball to him when he has his man backed under the basket and he's standing there for a dunk.   It happens multiple times a game.   

But they also don't cut that well and don't make interior passes all that well.   Didn't so much matter with Horford.   But I agree that wing was a huge problem last year.  I think it's just more magnified now.   We need better shooters and scorers.  

I much prefer having Dwight on the team.   It's the wings i'd like to replace.   

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I never said they were great with Horf at all.   But Baze, Kyle, and Thabo were obviously more comfortable when all 5 guys were moving and passing on offense.  Our guys, now including Delaney, routinely refuse or fail to get the ball to Dwight when he has deep in the paint position.   I'm not talking about getting him on the low post.  I'm talking about getting the ball to him when he has his man backed under the basket and he's standing there for a dunk.   It happens multiple times a game.   

But they also don't cut that well and don't make interior passes all that well.   Didn't so much matter with Horford.   But I agree that wing was a huge problem last year.  I think it's just more magnified now.   We need better shooters and scorers.  

I much prefer having Dwight on the team.   It's the wings i'd like to replace.   

I thought our wings were dreadful last year so I don't think we are that far off.  Just think they were similarly bad both seasons as a group and that we have a few other factors in the mix like health, age, maturity and contract status.