• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

At trade deadline, Budenholzer wants short and long term success

Mike Budenholzer insists he is looking out for the best interest of the Hawks in the short and long term as the NBA trade deadline approaches.

Budenholzer wears two hats as head coach and president of basketball operations. He is a strong voice in potential roster moves. Perhaps the head coach wants to win now and the president wants to win in the future.

“I just think we are considering how we can make this team better,” Budenholzer said recently. “Is there something that makes sense for two teams, two organizations? We are always balancing the short term with the long term.”

The Hawks have been described as very active to be buyers in possible deals ahead of the trade deadline on Thursday at 3 p.m., according to a person familiar with the situation. They could do something considered minor or something considered major, the person said. Paul Millsap is off the table but the Hawks have plenty of assets. They have a plethora of draft picks, an open roster spot and expiring contracts in Tiago Splitter, Thabo Sefolosha, Kris Humphries, Mike Muscala and Mike Scott.

However, Budenholzer said if the trade deadline comes and goes without a move he is ready to move on with the roster as currently constructed.

“If we stayed the same, we would be okay and ready to go and attack the last (26) games and go into the playoffs feeling like we’ve got a really good team,” Budenholzer said. “But are there ways we can get better at a couple different spots? We would explore those.”

Budenholzer said he is comfortable in his dual role. The bottom line is working in an atmosphere conducive to sustained success. He said it’s a lesson he learned after nearly two decades working in the Spurs organization.

“There is great effort to balance the short term with the long term,” Budenholzer said. “How are we trying to achieve sustained success? That includes success now. You don’t want to do anything that puts you in a position where you can’t be successful long term also. It’s something that I’m very comfortable with. The way things were done in San Antonio gave me a great 19-year look into how you can have sustained success.”

Much may be made of the perceived added work load for those with two important roles in an organization. Doc Rivers is in the same position as both head coach and president with the Clippers.

“I don’t think people get it,” Rivers last week before the Hawks played at the Clippers. “I really don’t. When I was just a coach of Boston, I still had listen to every trade, every meeting. We had to discuss everything. Nothing changes.

“You just don’t have any off time. You don’t as a coach. You don’t as the president.”

Budenholzer said the Hawks continue to be set up much like the Spurs. Decision are not made strictly by the coach and general manager. He said meetings about trades and the direction of the franchise include assistant coaches and other front office personnel.

“The best decisions are made when everyone is included, everyone is involved,” Budenholzer said. “I think we are trying to operate that way. … Whoever has a great idea, it doesn’t matter who it comes from. You just want to have as many good ideas as you can.”

The Hawks have a history of making at least a minor move at the trade deadline. Last year, the team held on to Al Horford and Jeff Teague despite great speculation but added Kurt Hinrich. They traded Adreian Payne before the 2015 deadline. They added Antawn Jamison, who never played a game in a Hawks uniform, in 2014

http://www.myajc.com/sports/basketball/trade-deadline-budenholzer-wants-short-and-long-term-success/rxVSp7WGKmJrleSdhdnlVM/

• Premium Member

I think it's never one thing, but yeah, some luck is almost always involved... that's what Belichick keeps saying every time I ask him why his coaching tree hasn't been more successful than it's been. And Robinson getting hurt when he did (leading to their getting the #1 slot) couldn't hardly have been any luckier.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

Was that because of the way things were done or because they got lucky and landed this guy by the name of Tim Duncan?

Both.

I've read  where Pop said 'He want's everyone's opinion, even the video guy' or he has no use for you.  I think that is what Bud means.

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Both.

I've read  where Pop said 'He want's everyone's opinion, even the video guy' or he has no use for you.

If he didn't listen to Bud's opinion, then the Spurs would not have Kawhi. Don't get me wrong though. I definitely think that the Spurs organization is arguably the best in the league. But I think having sustained success for 19 years had a lot (if not most) to do with getting lucky to land one of the greatest NBA players who was unselfish and only cared about winning. I think the Hawks are quickly changing the organization to model the Spurs and it is getting noticed by players around the league. I think we still need our RC Buford and I don't know if Wes Wilcox can fill those shoes. Time will tell though.

Also - I think Spurs' ownership is a part of it as well which doesn't always get talked about. In terms of Peter Holt being selfless and not trying to make basketball decisions like that of Vivek down in SAC for example.

Edited by Bankingitbig

1 minute ago, Bankingitbig said:

If he didn't listen to Bud's opinion, then the Spurs would not have Kawhi. Don't get me wrong though. I definitely think that the Spurs organization is arguably the best in the league. But I think having sustained success for 19 years had a lot (if not most) to do with getting lucky to land one of the greatest NBA players who was unselfish and only cared about winning. I think the Hawks are quickly changing the organization to model the Spurs and it is getting noticed by players around the league. I think we still need our RC Buford and I don't know if Wes Wilcox can fill those shoes. Time will tell though.

Yes they got the number 1 pick, but I think it's what they were able to build around him for 19 years  in an ever changing NBA landscape is a testament  to the kind of players they want and how their front  office operates..

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yes they got the number 1 pick, but I think it's what they were able to build around him for 19 years  in an ever changing NBA landscape is a testament  to the kind of players they want and how their front  office operates..

The Spurs also were lucky to put that #1 guy in Duncan with a veteran HoF at the same position essentially and teach him. The Hawks have had nothing like the talent the Spurs have had.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I can't tell you how many times I reference that movie and that scene in particular. I had a boss once that did not know what plethora meant but he tried using it all the time.

Hahaha I had a friend like that too lol

Pretty much what I suspected from Bud based on the moves we are making. Stay in the middle, maintain status quo as long as possible until we are forced to go through a slow ugly rebuild when are main cogs start falling off a cliff.

Btw if he considers where we currently stand as "success". He is doing an awesome job of it.

• Premium Member
On 2/21/2017 at 8:57 AM, macdaddy said:

All I know is if Butler or George are on the move (especially Butler), we better throw everything we can at them. 

It does prompt the obvious question... what does one consider to be "everything?"

Don't know if you Falcon fans can relate, but I can remember the Cowboys owner/GM thinking he needed to throw everything he could to obtain a speedy young accomplished WR thought at the time to be the difference between making a Super Bowl and not... and so, for two seasons, the Cowboys enjoyed having Joey Galloway on their roster instead of having two first round draft picks on their roster.

No Super Bowl.

Bedevils many of us to this day. Not that Butler or George aren't worth a whole lot, because I'm with most here, they most certainly are worth a lot.

But, having said that, how much is too much? Is there such a thing? Curious about the overall wisdom of the board...

• Moderators

You are right that there is a price point for everyone, @sturt.  I think it is even riskier in football where a superstar can exist on the worst team in the league because it is a team game where you need a lot of talented players to be a winner and so giving up a volume of quality picks can destroy you.  In basketball, it is more about having a couple elite players and then you legitimately can merely add a few good players and fill in the remaining 2/3 of your roster with sub-MLE players and be a title contender.

Trades like Galloyway, Walker, Ricky Williams, etc. rarely work out for the team getting the one stud in exchange for a boatload of picks.

• Like 1

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, sturt said:

All good... still interested to know, though... literally... how much is too much?

For George specifically?  I'm very comfortable dealing protected picks and our first this season.  For me unprotected picks in the future is where it can start getting too much a lot faster.  Then other players in the deal affects that.  Including THJr means it takes fewer picks to become too much.  Including Baze means more picks are still ok.  Taking back Monta Ellis means we give fewer picks in our best offer.  Getting back Miles Turner means we have to give up a lot more in the way of assets.  Lots of moving parts.  A deal based around Splitter, THJr, our 2017 first, the Minny first and the Cleveland first would be fine with me.  Giving up our 2019 unprotected first not so much but I would include it with lottery protection on the condition we resign George.