• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Disappointed

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

Sometimes the "WLOC" mentality makes sense even if we hate it. The fact that we refuse to upgrade two glaring holes is disappointing and stubborn.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I just hope Jennings don't come back and bite us, signing with Washington. No he wasn't the perfect fit but after failing at the trading deadline to get a backup point (maybe they didn't want one), there was not a lot left to pick from.   Deron Williams and Calderon where not coming  here so we were left with Jennings who could give Dennis some backup minutes.  But to be honest I don't think the Hawks wanted any of the three, so we will see what unfolds and who we get.  

• Premium Member

Btw, remember that PG that we traded to the Cavs in the 2nd round last June? He might be cut as a result of these buyout signings coming up. Ironic if we'd end up with Felder after all. I recall there was much groaning when we made that trade.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, sturt said:

Btw, remember that PG that we traded to the Cavs in the 2nd round last June? He might be cut as a result of these buyout signings coming up. Ironic if we'd end up with Felder after all. I recall there was much groaning when we made that trade.

Very good point. I was one who groaned with that trade. Hasn't developed so much but he is a rookie on a LeBron dominated team so kinda hard to really analyze him. Whatever makes Delaney third, fourth or zero string works.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sturt said:

Even if Jennings were ideal for us, I believe I understand that we had nothing to offer but the minimum at this point.

Isn't that the same for most teams though? Washington is over the cap as well, so all they could offer is the minimum too. I don't 100% understand waivers, but I thought the former team still pays the guaranteed portion of the contract if a player clears waivers. Thus, when a player clear waivers it is usually them just choosing what team they want to play for and not really making it about salary. Not sure though.

Edited by Bankingitbig

12 hours ago, GameTime said:

Seems silly, but I'd take a flier on Calderon if he's willing. The dude can shoot the lights out, I'd take that over Delaney.

Edit: It seems silly for the Warriors to sign him and then just waive him, but whatevs.

Edited by TheFuzz
  • Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, TheFuzz said:

Edit: It seems silly for the Warriors to sign him and then just waive him, but whatevs.

It makes sense because he isn't a real commodity.  They need a body at forward much worse than a barely rosterable PG.  But barely rosterable has value for us given that our current backup is sub-rosterable (if he were not under contract) this season.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AHF said:

It makes sense because he isn't a real commodity.  They need a body at forward much worse than a barely rosterable PG.  But barely rosterable has value for us given that our current backup is sub-rosterable (if he were not under contract) this season.

@AHF I think @TheFuzz is saying why sign Calderon at all if the plan is to immediately waive him?  Why not just sign Barnes outright?

Unless I'm missing something cap related in doing so

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@AHF I think @TheFuzz is saying why sign Calderon at all if the plan is to immediately waive him?  Why not just sign Barnes outright?

Unless I'm missing something cap related in doing so

Durant wasn't hurt when they brought him in and then got hurt necessitating another forward, right?

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

Durant wasn't hurt when they brought him in and then got hurt necessitating another forward, right?

No, he was signed because of Durant injury.

Sources told ESPN that the Warriors, in the wake of the hyperextended left knee Durant suffered Tuesday night at Washington, quickly reached out to Barnes and made arrangements to sign him later this week.

• Moderators

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No, he was signed because of Durant injury.

That is what I just said (although pronouns made that confusing).  They promised the spot to Calderon pre-injury and then signed Barnes after the Durant injury.  This was confirmed by the Warriors when they explained they had already made the promise to Calderon and so to keep him whole they will sign and waive him:

Freshly waived by the Los Angeles Lakers, Calderon committed to sign with the Warriors early this week upon clearing waivers at 5 p.m. ET Wednesday. But ESPN has learned that the Warriors will sign Calderon to a rest-of-the-season deal and then promptly waive him, ensuring Calderon earns the money he would have received in Golden State but also leaving a roster spot open to add Barnes.

Had Durant been healthy they would have kept Calderon and left Barnes alone.

Just now, AHF said:

That is what I just said.  They promised the spot to Calderon pre-injury and then signed Barnes after the Durant injury.  This was confirmed by the Warriors when they explained they had already made the promise to Calderon and so to keep him whole they will sign and waive him:

How is he not whole? By being waived by LAL he still  get's his salary? No? What does he get from GSW by signing then being immediately released. What salary would he get? Wouldn't what he get be deducted from what the LAL owe?

I'm confused.

• Moderators
15 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

How is he not whole? By being waived by LAL he still  get's his salary? No? What does he get from GSW by signing then being immediately released. What salary would he get? Wouldn't what he get be deducted from what the LAL owe?

I'm confused.

I don't think he was waived.   It was a buyout.  So he would have gotten money from the Warriors on top of his buyout.   Now he's double dipping but i guess there was the chance that no one else signed him and the Warriors would have kind of screwed him by promising him a deal.    I think that's the thinking.  

You have to feel bad for the Warriors.  As we know most NBA teams are losing money so just throwing away hundreds of thousands of dollars like this must be really hard.   

And my third point!  I think any teams that are in the luxury tax should be prohibited from in season free agent signings.   

• Like 2

• Moderators
15 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm confused.

@macdaddy's interpretation is how I read their statement to the press.  

They promised him a spot.  He stopped talking to others who were interested and committed to them.  Durant got hurt and they had to reneg on the offer and now want to put a good face on it by making this gesture.  Not sure to what extent it allows him to double dip but I am sure they will now tell anyone who asks they did everything they could and couldn't have anticipated Durant's injury (which is actually fair).