• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Trading Teague was so dumb

gsuteke

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

It would make no sense not to pay a player like THjr since he is 24 and already one of the top 5 players on your team...plus you gave up a draft pick for him...This is a moot discussion..Thjr is a core player period!

I'd love to have him back but we can't be paying big time money to 2 SGs.   And we certainly can't max a guy who isn't going to start and play 30 minutes a game. 

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'd love to have him back but we can't be paying big time money to 2 SGs.   And we certainly can't max a guy who isn't going to start and play 30 minutes a game. 

Nonsense!  You keep your best players period!

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Nonsense!  You keep your best players period!

You would think. But that's not how this works...

Edited by hazer

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, hazer said:

It is how this works! Name me 1 team who has let a top 5 player on their team under 25 walk as a restricted free agent except under unusual circunnstances like Golden State this season!

5 minutes ago, hazer said:

That's the policy you start with, then you consider there is a salary cap.  That's why you find a soft landing spot for Baze at all costs.  Even if you have to take pennies on the cents.

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

It is how this works! Name me 1 team who has let a top 5 player on their team under 25 walk as a restricted free agent except under unusual circunnstances like Golden State this season!

Relax man, I agree that THJr is great and I want him back and starting next year. You can read back 2 years and I'm as big a THJr fan as there is on here, stated that he'd pan out to be the best acquisition and biggest surprise of that off-season. Every other post I make now is how he should start next year. Your getting too emotional and letting that cloud your perception a lil' here. I want THJr back and starting next year. I just realize the reality, which is they overpaid for Gaze and are now handcuffed to the point of not matching a max offer for  THJr. Unless they can move Gaze in a pre-draft deal, which is my hope.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, hazer said:

Relax man, I agree that THJr is great and I want him back and starting next year. You can read back 2 years and I'm as big a THJr fan as there is on here, stated that he'd pan out to be the best acquisition and biggest surprise of that off-season. Every other post I make now is how he should start next year. Your getting too emotional and letting that cloud your perception a lil' here. I want THJr back and starting next year. I just realize the reality, which is they overpaid for Gaze and are now handcuffed to the point of not matching a max offer for  THJr. Unless they can move Gaze in a pre-draft deal, which is my hope.

I'm not emotional...We just disagree...Bazemore's contract is unrelated to the decision to resign THjr

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm not emotional...We just disagree...Bazemore's contract is unrelated to the decision to resign THjr

Explain to me how we disagree...

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, kg01 said:

That's the policy you start with, then you consider there is a salary cap.  That's why you find a soft landing spot for Baze at all costs.  Even if you have to take pennies on the cents.

You don't take anything for dealing Baze.  You have to pay a team to take him.  We can't just lose his salary and slot THJr in there.  We have to pay someone to take that toxic contract and then pay THJr.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Both Baze and Thjr will be on the team next year

Ahhhhhh, yes, on that we do disagree. UNLESS other teams don't WAY overbid for THJr's services, allowing the Hawks to comfortably match and keep both.  My hope is that nobody offers THJr a max and Hawks then are willing and only have to match a lower number and can keep both, Gaze isn't a bad 2nd option off the bench at SG and emergency SF behind THJr and freshPrince.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm not emotional...

Your exclamation points in your previous posts tell a different story :approved:

The Hawks have alluded that they want Sap back so if that is the case then somehow we are suppose to manage to pay over sixty million for two starters and one back up level SG that can spot play SF minutes ever so poorly. Anything is possible if Sap or Tim is the last signing I guess but that is a seriously unbalanced payroll there and we would start having a payroll situation similar to the Cavs but we wouldn't have LeBron so I'll believe it when I see it even with all the love Bud has for Baze. Man we need Tim so much more than Baze and his contract moving forward its just crazy (beating that poor dead horse again). Have no idea who will be back really just know who I want back.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
53 minutes ago, Thomas said:

The Hawks have alluded that they want Sap back so if that is the case then somehow we are suppose to manage to pay over sixty million for two starters and one back up level SG that can spot play SF minutes ever so poorly.

If the choice is between paying THjr $16 mil per year @ 24 and paying Millsap $30 mil per year @ 32,  the choice is pretty easy

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

They gave Hardaway Jr's contract to Bazemore's.

Yes they did.  Giving Bazemore that contract put us in a box of being forced to pick between radically overpaying for the SG position and giving up on talent.  Only out from that unattractive scenario is paying someone to take Bazemore's contract.  Here is hoping he goes crazy in the playoffs and we can get someone to want to trade for him.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kg01 said:

Wait, wasn't there something different about THJ's situation since the Hawks did/didn't tender a qualifying offer or w/e?

Also, they keep saying they'll go into the tax so "too rich" shouldn't be an issue.

No - stop spouting C-Viv and his wrong stuff.       Hawks picked up his QO offer, they were in discussion for an extension similarly to Dennis' but could not come to terms.  I would love to know what Timmy was asking for and what the Hawks were offering.

As it stands, THJr max deal can be worth $25.5 million.  (that's 25% of the $102 projected salary cap).

There was a reason that the Hawks extended Dennis at $15 because a team in need of a PG  (Philly, Kings, Brooklyn etc) with capspace would more than likely offer that. So Dennis' deal is looking like quite the steal.

There is no way that I see the Hawks paying  THJr amax deal at $25.5 million. 

Like I've said before, the cap-frivolity of last season with pretty much EVERY team having capspace is not the same this offseason. Teams won't be spending all willy nilly this time around.  It's important to look at which teams will have the requisit capspace and are in need of a SG - that's the competition.

Hopefully most these team only remember him from his NY days so we get him at a good price.